SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SIGforum Chefs: Air Fryers?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIGforum Chefs: Air Fryers? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Wife is curious about them and I think it might be a good idea. We don't eat a LOT of deep fried food, but enough that cutting fat/calories would be a Good Thing.

Do they work in terms of reducing fat but still cooking the food properly?

Does the food taste pretty much the same?

Brands/Models?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15489 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Based on my research, I've pretty much decided on this Philips XL Airfryer. It's big and expensive, but seems to be the best on the market. The non-XL version is slightly smaller for $50 less, but just as good, I believe.

Since I haven't actually bought it yet, I have no first-hand comments on the results, but I am fairly certain that it's the best machine.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
My parents bought one and use the crap out of it. They cook everything, even stuff I never would have though to cook in it. Meatloaf was one thing that surprised me. It was good. All the fat/grease dropped out so the meatloaf didn't sit in it.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:

Since I haven't actually bought it yet, I have no first-hand comments on the results, but I am fairly certain that it's the best machine.

-Rob

It gets the best reviews for sure.

Posts: 15489 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
We have one and have used it sparingly. Air "Fryer" is a bit of a stretch. It is essentially a small convection oven. You are replacing frying your food with baking it at high temps with forced air. It is good at some things but I wouldn't plan to host a fish fry.

ETA, ours is a Philips.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Based on my research, I've pretty much decided on this Philips XL Airfryer. It's big and expensive, but seems to be the best on the market. The non-XL version is slightly smaller for $50 less, but just as good, I believe.

-Rob

Some of the reviews were quite bad. Teflon coming off after a few uses. I'd be very upset after paying that kind of money. Also looks kind of small.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Hi Paul,

Does your oven have a convection setting? Because that's what an air fryer is, essentially. Hot forced air onto slightly oiled food.

Also, if you are deep frying correctly, the food shouldn't be soaking up too much oil. Get the oil nice and hot, fry small batches so that the oil temp doesn't drop too fast, minimize the time it stays in the fryer, remove it before all of the steam in the food is cooked off, and then let shake the oil off thoroughly before transferring to something paper towel to blot.

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Ah. Perfect. Exactly the sort of information I was looking for. Particularly the part about the convection oven.

Thanks all...another needless expenditure avoided.

posted Hide Post
for the very small portions that we make, we decided that it would be just one more thing to move around the kitchen

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
If it's chips you're looking for, I picked up this microwave thingy at Bed, Bath & Beyond and it actually works pretty darned well.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MIL has one. Small. Uneven cooking unless you keep the food moving. Build is cheap (YMMV). Honestly it seems like a solution looking for a problem. For the space it takes up, I'd rather just have a toaster oven for quick cooks.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post