SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Social Security Start Wait times
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Social Security Start Wait times Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
I retired from my job about 1 1/2 year ago. I'm 62 1/2 now. I just now applied online for SS.

Anyone know if I am looking at days, weeks, months wait time?
No indication whatsoever on the web site...

Thanks

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly I applied as soon as the window was open (90 days???) was eligible on my birthday in late October and got my first check in late November.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15528 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I retired from my job about 1 1/2 year ago. I'm 62 1/2 now. I just now applied online for SS.

Anyone know if I am looking at days, weeks, months wait time?
No indication whatsoever on the web site...

I do not recall exactly how long it was. I was surprised however that I spoke to an intelligent human being without being on hold, who answered every question that I had. I was expecting the efficiency of other governmental services. No problems whatsoever. Pleasant experience.

Posts: 17530 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If memory serves, it was about a month or two from the time I initiated until the first check.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31449 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Middle of May I went into a SS office. Very helpful, got my paperwork for Medicare Part B and filed my paperwork for retirement benefits. Start date for retirement was July 1st, first check to be deposited middle of August.

I have visited SS offices three times, all experiences have been positive. Letters from SS keeping me informed on the process along with Medicare received in a timely manner.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8405 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
If memory serves, it was about a month or two from the time I initiated until the first check.

That's what I recall, and it was less than a year ago. BTW, I've never been to a real SS office; I applied for Medicare on line 1.5 years ago, SS on line about a year ago. In both cases the system worked very well for me.

Posts: 16019 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shovelhead has it right. Social Security start date is always the first of the month (whatever month you decide to select), and the payment for that month will show up sometime during the following month. I believe there's a formula they use that determines when in that following month they distribute the payment to you based on your last name (or something like that). In my case they pay the 4th week of that second month, so I get paid roughly 8 weeks after the first of the month that's actually being paid for. YMMV since they spread those payments out in the payment month according to that formula they use. The SSN reps can give you the details for your specific case.

Posts: 1224 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I recently was researching SS and I remember it says to file 3 months before you expect to start drawing your first check.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20079 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Great, thanks!
It doesn't really matter but was really curious.
I need to plan a celebration and all... Smile
My official application date is 7/15. Hopefully next week I'll get confirmation of approval.
I should have mentioned... When asked on the online form I had the option of picking 7/17, 8/17 or 9/17 as a start date. I selected 7/2017 as the start date. So I may get a check for July sometime in August hopefully.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I do not know how or why, but I remember it was about six weeks from when I applied.

Posts: 13718 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
My wife applied in mid-June of last year before her birthday in Sept. Sept was her first check.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Our checks get auto deposited on the second Wednesday of the month.

Posts: 1571 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
IIRC, it took me about 6 weeks to get my first check. The people that work for SS are very nice and helpful. I get my check the 4th Wednesday of the month direct deposit.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4035 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I retired in June of 2011 at 63 1/2 yrs old. I applied for SS in May and got my first deposit on the 3rd Wed of August. Once I turned 65 Medicare kicked in immediately for part A & B. It couldn't have been any easier.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting til I turn 66 on Aug. 10.
What start date should I put down?
I was going to call SS on Monday, this thread is VERY timely.

Posts: 4698 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm waiting til I turn 66 on Aug. 10.
What start date should I put down?
I was going to call SS on Monday, this thread is VERY timely

I had the same question. It makes a world of difference. The woman I spoke with at SS explained all of it. If you make the wrong choice it costs you big time in future benefits. My best advice is to call them and have them explain it to you with your case in front of them. Your full retirement age should be 66. She should also explain that the Medicare is typically automatically deducted from your check, even if you are still working. Good luck

Posts: 17530 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
As I recall, you choose the month and year when you want the checks to start. I applied online also and a SS rep called me a week or so later to ask a few questions.

Posts: 4061 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post