SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trail shoes with some motion control?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trail shoes with some motion control? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I usually wear a Brooks running shoe in the Motion Control line to help with over pronation. This in turn helps keep the IT band pain away.

However, I’m in need some something with some more traction and durability.

The Saucony Peregrines aren’t it. I really like them but they are too soft and I may need a wider shoe as well, at least in Saucony.

I may have to just use my custom insoles but I’d rather not.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Roadrunnersports.com lists those shoe attributes with each shoe listing.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1088 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have moderate or severe pronation.

I am a moderate pronater but wear the Asics GT 2000 series or the New Balance 860 series

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just left Fleet Feet getting spikes for my son. I’ve been in Sauconys for 20 years and 26,000 miles. I’m neutral so my choices are many.

Does Brooks make a trail version of your model? Are you near a Fleet Feet, RoadRunners or local running stores?

That really is your best bet. For a wider toe box, look at Hoka and Altra.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

There are a couple local stores but I wanted an idea which ones to focus on.

A while back I was running 1/2 Marathons in some Brooks Adrenaline and I was transitioning to some Saucony Glides and started to get the IT band issue.

I’m working on the strengthening etc. so I’m not as reliant on a specific shoe.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try the Hoka One One (pronounced "oh-nay" "oh-nay; not "1" "1") Try both the Speedgoat & Challenger ATR.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
Do you have moderate or severe pronation.

I am a moderate pronater but wear the Asics GT 2000 series or the New Balance 860 series

This is me as well. I used to really like the NB 860s, but after the V3 they are no longer US made and I feel like the quality has slipped a lot. Now I mostly wear the GT-2000s. Not sure if either of these are what you’re looking for in a trail shoe though; possible that the 860 might be aggressive enough.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
In my experience I’ve used Brooks Ravina and Adidas Canadia. The Ravina provided a little more toe room than the Canadia. I know the Ravina is still made, but haven’t seen the Canadia in a while.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
After trying some, I’m going with the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 20 in wide width. At least while I build back up some strength, miles and technique.

These are a road shoe but very comfortable and were what I used to run in. These have a 13mm or so drop and the older trail shoes have an 8mm drop and I’m not ready to go back to those yet.

posted Hide Post
I am an overpronator and Brooks Adrenaline have been my road shoes for close to 10 years I think. Let me know when you are ready for trail shoes and I’ll give you a couple of good recommendations.

Posts: 991 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stated in an earlier post that I wore Asics Gt 2000 before I hurt my back.

Thanks to a great physical therapist and this pandemic I forced myself to get out of the house and start running.

Either my stride, gait, alignment etc.. has changed and I can no longer wear Asics. I tried the Gt 1000, 2000, and 3000 even different variations.

After reading this conversation I ordered a pair of Brooks Ravenna 11. They are ok but they are strictly a road shoe. Just running in the grass or slight trails and you feel it.

Please keep up posted on what you think of the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 20.

It was a toss up between the Ravenna and the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 20.

I am trying to build myself back up to try and go to re-class training for the Army along with yet another Police Academy.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Check out the Brooks Cascadia, I just killed the pair I have been wearing. My usual running shoe is a Brooks Dyad. Also take a look at the Solomon's offerings.

I have Solomon hiking boots and trail shoes (not trail runners) and I love them.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post