SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So NYPD is going to all electric patrol vehicles...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So NYPD is going to all electric patrol vehicles... Login/Join 
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted
I'm going to predict that this is an example of people who either never/rarely saw the road, or are so far removed from it their cuffs are rusted shut making decisions...

So, you get an electric vehicle that gets plugged in after the shift... Great idea on paper. What about the next guys that have to take that vehicle out? It's a 24hr job.

Our pool cars sometimes get run 24/7. One guy gets off shift, another jumps in and out he goes.

To go all electric, they would have to have 1 car per officer.

Let's grab the popcorn and see how THIS goes.

https://www.police1.com/police...ed-vsXscdWsT4W8nQm1/

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Now it's not just bean counters making the decisions, it's feel good social justice bean counters making decisions. It's gotten from bad to worse.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
I'm going to predict that this is an example of people who either never/rarely saw the road, or are so far removed from it their cuffs are rusted shut making decisions...

So, you get an electric vehicle that gets plugged in after the shift... Great idea on paper. What about the next guys that have to take that vehicle out? It's a 24hr job.

Our pool cars sometimes get run 24/7. One guy gets off shift, another jumps in and out he goes.

The NYPD actually doesn't patrol as much as you would think by car, in Manhattan there are more foot posts in precincts than people think. Transit very few rmp patrols, all on foot in the electric sewer and housing does a lot of verticals. Specialized units use vehicles, especially citywide units. Mostly smoke and mirrors from the puzzle palace or city hall. Building charging stations say 10 for each precinct, district or PSA is close to 1000 stations. Then all the special units another 1000 or more. Laughable..

Posts: 2780 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
They should buy bikes from me that I’ve converted to electric. I’d bet most people here who rode my homemade ebike would be shocked at its power, speed, braking capability and range. For around town errands it’s replaced my daily driver. The pet store doesn’t even blink an eye when I park my bike at the unused register. (No way I’m leaving a $2000+ electric bike outside the store.)

I just broke 1000 miles a few weeks ago on my home made electric mountain bike. The dang thing I built is practically a entry level motorcycle as it tops out at 42.9 mph with plus size offroad tires.

I wouldn’t ever go all electric but for some urban areas that already use bikes or motorcycles for enforcement such as VA Beach for example they could really cover a lot of distance and enjoy great offroad/ off the beaten path mobility with a high power electric mountain bike.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21127 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Nowhere to go, all day to get there.

Posts: 107740 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
As soon as I read the title I thought of the police cars from Demolition Man.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2575 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:

The NYPD actually doesn't patrol as much as you would think by car, in Manhattan there are more foot posts in precincts than people think. Transit very few rmp patrols, all on foot in the electric sewer and housing does a lot of verticals. Specialized units use vehicles, especially citywide units. Mostly smoke and mirrors from the puzzle palace or city hall. Building charging stations say 10 for each precinct, district or PSA is close to 1000 stations. Then all the special units another 1000 or more. Laughable..

That's a good point. And for many areas there, the officers probably don't even HAVE a patrol vehicle.

But still, for the areas that DO, this is a terrible idea. Since I've typed the OP I've thought of 4 or 5 additional problems.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Another thing to think about,what if the city has a black out that last multiple days?
It's not like this has not happened in the past.
How are they going to charge all those cars with no electric, wind mills.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2575 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
My son drives a Tractor trailer for UPS out of a huge Chicago area depot.
I asked him about electric trucks and he said he didn't think UPS would go this route for a long time. He said UPS expects those semi's to go all day and all night. You get done with your shift and another driver gets the keys to use on there shift. No way would they allow a truck to sit for many hours to re-charge.

He said that UPS had experimented with natural gas trucks but eventually sent all that were left in the fleet to the Chicago depot he works out of because they did not work out. He said that he hated them because of a huge delay in applying throttle and then a lag in response, this made it hard to back up to and connect a trailer.

Posts: 4638 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dumb idea the all electric vehicle thing. Imagine
owning an all-electric car, and being a resident in
areas of Florida now without power; or for that matter anywhere in the US when our under-developed power grid can't handle the power load imposed on the grid.

Hybrid automobile technology makes sense for now!

Posts: 248 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
That will be awesome once the temp dips below 15F and they all stop. I hope they allow adequate run time before the shift so they can warm up properly.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38005 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
They should buy bikes from me that I’ve converted to electric. I’d bet most people here who rode my homemade ebike would be shocked at its power, speed, braking capability and range. For around town errands it’s replaced my daily driver. The pet store doesn’t even blink an eye when I park my bike at the unused register. (No way I’m leaving a $2000+ electric bike outside the store.)

I just broke 1000 miles a few weeks ago on my home made electric mountain bike. The dang thing I built is practically a entry level motorcycle as it tops out at 42.9 mph with plus size offroad tires.

I wouldn’t ever go all electric but for some urban areas that already use bikes or motorcycles for enforcement such as VA Beach for example they could really cover a lot of distance and enjoy great offroad/ off the beaten path mobility with a high power electric mountain bike.

bought an estate (pile of guns) from a guy a few weeks ago that lived up in NOVA, he and his son had Ebikes,

his son had a nice hotrod Audi, but said since it would sometimes take 15 minutes to go a few blocks in traffic, and the Ebike would do 35MPH,, he use the bike for most of his daily local errands (groceries etc)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10435 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
Might work around here since all the officers have take home cars, but I have issues with that as well. Why not have enough cruisers needed for patrol, and you take your own damn car to and from work like the rest of us?

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Imagine Mad Max and the Road Warrior with electric cars?

We CANNOT allow our future post apocalyptic world to miss out on road races of nitro gas burning hot rod death machines.

What fun would that be?

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Will this include the vehicles they use to patrol the water reservoirs in the Catskills? I wouldn’t think electric vehicles would have the range.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Awful lot of the police cruisers down here spend much of their day idling at numerous locations throughout their shifts with the AC on. No problem when a quick fuel up at the pump returns the car to full utility. Try that with an EV and see how it goes.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At one point, they had Nissan Altima hybrids. They lasted like...a year?? I don't know of another agency that can torture a car under all conditions like the NYPD.
No wonder they loved their Ford Crown Vics and Chevy Carpice, body on frame can take the abuse. As for powertrain... the only green tech that will work for them is hydrogen fuel cell. Toyota should lease the Mira to them and turn NYC into a hydrogen station bonanza.

Posts: 693 | Location: PA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
As soon as I read the title I thought of the police cars from Demolition Man.

Those ran on pure capacatance jell, explosive stuff if you have a powered knock out wand.... and they are not much faster than a 70 Olds 442

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't really know what the duty cycle is, but I can imagine that an EV with a 400+ mile range could hold a charge for a long time if it's spending most of its time "idling" which means not running for an EV. The department might actually get multiple days on a charge. Police use for EVs actually seems like a pretty good potential use case for EVs. Maybe not every car for every officer, but there are no doubt a lot of situations when an EV would not have a lot of downside in a mixed fleet.

Posts: 2491 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one who thinks the next step in this green wet dream fiasco is going to be quick-change batteries?

There's no limit to what the government will spend so it's not inconceivable they would bill the taxpayers for three or four batteries for each EV.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5488 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post