SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mountain Lion Advice **Update top Pg3 Lion Dead
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mountain Lion Advice **Update top Pg3 Lion Dead Login/Join 
Shit don't
mean shit
posted
I live in the foothills of Denver, in a forest. All houses in my neighborhood are on 2 - 3 acres. Mountain lions, bobcats, elk, etc... all come with the territory. 3 days ago a neighbor 5 houses up had 3 alpacas killed at ~5:00 AM by a mountain lion. IMO, it was mostly her fault for having the alpacas in a small pen and not locked up in a barn. They don't have nearly enough room to keep 3 alpacas, but whatever.

My issue is that my 12 YO son, who is in 6th grade, has to wait for the school bus at 6:25 AM at the end of my driveway, alone. This time of year it's pitch black outside at 6:25. The past few days I've gone outside with him with a bright ass flashlight and my P226 with a WML.

I know the odds of him being attacked are pretty low, but there's still a chance. Unfortunately we can't see the bus coming from inside our house, so he needs to wait at the end of the driveway, in the dark.

Any ideas for "protection", besides me waiting outside with him every day...or at least until it is light outside when we go back to daylight savings? I was thinking about getting some bear spray and mounting it to a post at the end of our driveway.

This was Nov 16, 2021 at my next door neighbors house.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1967Goat,

Posts: 5769 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Maybe have a small “Tough Shed” type building put in? It would also keep him dry in poor weather.

Posts: 6382 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A vehicle he could wait in—?

What I’m not impressed with is the idea of giving him something with which to defend himself. Even if he could use something like bear spray (or a gun) to defend himself*, it would require a degree of situational awareness that most 12-year-olds, or most people in general, are unlikely to exhibit all the time. Further, if it’s really that dark, a mountain lion might be able to make an attack before it’s detected. (The last assumes I’m actually correct in my understanding how they often do attack.) If I’m correct, there might be little or no opportunity to use a defensive weapon.

* Not knowing anything about him, I can only base my question on what I know about other 12-year-olds and their capabilities.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47421 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Hate to say it, but the simple answer is I'd just wait with him, in your car or truck!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8962 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm not real crazy about the bear spray idea, but it was all I could come up with. He definitely doesn't have the situational awareness.

Parking a vehicle at the end of the driveway is definitely do-able!

Posts: 5769 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I think the shed/ shelter is the best idea, other than you just being down there with him. Most cats attack from cover, and I think if you look at the attacks on people that have happened you'll find that the victims never saw the cat coming. Those that fought the cat off were either not the primary target (walking a pet) or survived the initial attack from cover and were able to fight after the initial engagement.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3519 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
How much cover is there at the end of your driveway for a mountain lion to use for stalking?
If there's bushes, trees, etc, might help to remove what you can.

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
I know here our school system uses an app that shows the location of the bus via gps.

That would help reduce the time at the bus stop thus reducing opportunities for attack.

Posts: 915 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Of course not guaranteed, but little cover for a cat to hide, then some noise would help.

Even with a shed or if a vehicle is parked there, one still has to walk to it. I see many that drive then sit & wait in a running vehicle.

Yes, odds are small, I do remember a young boy that was taken by a lion 25 years ago in CO. They were on a group hike of sorts & he simply drifted away from the main group. The story was in Reader’s Digest.

If you have the pictures in the neighborhood recently, I’d think some precautions are in order.

Posts: 6194 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hate to say it, but the simple answer is I'd just wait with him, in your car or truck!

^^^^^^
Or just drive him to school.

Posts: 17282 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Or … take care of the cat.

I lived in Colorado for a real long time… Showed the builder of my home (and his buddy), huge mountain lion tracks in the mud. He didn’t believe that those were cat tracks … Told me that it was a dog.

So I walked them over to the next house being built, and showed him the slain, dead carcass of the full-grown mulie buck, dead in the mud. Those guys cleared out of there quick-like. Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:

Even with a shed or if a vehicle is parked there, one still has to walk to it. I see many that drive then sit & wait in a running vehicle.

At 12 he is probably big enough to start a car and drive to the end of the driveway. When the bus comes, turn it off and lock it up (if necessary). Assuming a modernish vehicle, he could have his own key/keyfob that he just takes with him.

Or possibly an ATV, preferably with doors, but anything with headlights and a radio should let Mr. Cat know that he's not prey.

Posts: 3441 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Help the neighbor get more alpacas to keep the mountain lion busy and fed.

I’m curious, what are the laws regarding protecting livestock?

Found an answer:

"According to state regulations, the state is liable for costs related to the death of livestock from predatory game animals, such as mountain lions. State regulations also allow landowners, livestock owners, their official agents, or officials from parks and wildlife to kill any predators, other than wolves, that attack and kill livestock.”

And from the same article it looks like alpaca are livestock:

“ After the lion made its kill, it initially left the area before returning to feed on the alpaca. When it returned, parks and wildlife staff were waiting at the scene to put down the lion.”

Link

Posts: 11027 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I’d hang out with him.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5360 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm the first one to say "Buy him a .44 or a 10mm!" ?

Damn, you guys are slipping.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8369 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The car area would be excellent. Very safe, and he would have a head start on driving. I first learned to drive a stick in my GF's pickup, when I was 13, no big deal. Some sort of beater or trail vehicle would work, he is not going out on the road.

-c1steve

Posts: 4065 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:

I know the odds of him being attacked are pretty low, but there's still a chance. Unfortunately we can't see the bus coming from inside our house, so he needs to wait at the end of the driveway, in the dark.

I think the easiest thing would be to put up a camera outside pointed in the direction of the bus and have a live monitor inside so he can wait inside the house until the bus comes.

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^
Or just drive him to school.

Screw that.

Homeschool. Best education decision we made.

If that is impossible, are there other kids getting collected nearby? Could you talk with the other parents about a group of kids meeting at one place, with rotating responsibility for the waiting with them parent?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Security camera where view of bus can be seen. Watch from inside

Posts: 1408 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Wait with him or drop him off at school, even if it's early. As long as there's staff there, he should be good.

I wouldn't risk it.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5416 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post