SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can we talk about fabric softener?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can we talk about fabric softener? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
I'm thinking in terms of the liquid type you put in with your wash, rather than the beads or dryer sheets.

I just got finished cleaning out the area of the washer where the Downy goes. In my case, it's an old-school top-loader, you pour the fabric softener into the center of the stem.

I pulled out the top of that stem a few minutes ago and -- good golly! -- that thing was filthy! It was full of gelled-up fabric softener, a few stray dog hairs, and a literal handful of other gunk. What started as "let's take a minute and clean this" turned into about fifteen minutes' worth of "holy smokes, that's nasty."

Having gotten most of the gunk out, now I'm wondering: what made that get so gunky in the first place? Am I putting too much softener in there, and it's not all coming out? Does the softener that doesn't come out just naturally get gunky? Is there a routine maintenance (cleaning) that I've [obviously] not been performing?

What in the world, y'all? This thing was straight-up nasty.

Confused

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that stuff is not good. We just use dryer sheets.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Dilute it. I use half a cap of softener and fill the dispenser the rest of the way with water. And on loads that I don’t use fabric softener I fill the dispenser with straight water to keep it clean.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fabric softener is not needed. Lots of people are allergic to it. I have sneezing fits when I see people who use a lot of it.

This is kind of an interesting topic for a gun forum. LOL

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
This is kind of an interesting topic for a gun forum. LOL

Haha, you've got a point there. But this is where I know I can get a straight answer (probably with a good side dish of ribbing and sarcasm). Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. I could not resist. I knew you were a good sport.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using distilled white vinegar. It seems to help. I never did like fabric softener’s effect on my towels, or the slightly greasy feel it gave my clothes. Or the foo-foo aroma.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Between the liquid gumming up the works and dryer sheets adding an undesirable "coating" to stuff like towels, we long ago dispensed with such products altogether.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I pour the fabric softener straight into the tub during the final rinse cycle when the water is about 6” deep. I also use 50-75% less than what’s called for.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an allergy of sorts to fabric softener and detergents, my solution is to use white distilled vinegar in place of fabric softener. No residue and seems to rinse out last remnants of any detergent left in my clothing. Not sure if it has any softening properties but works for me. I believe I read about this in a book called "Laundry Love" or something like that.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Or the foo-foo aroma.

I'll tell ya what! My hands are nice and soft now, and smell way too good. Razz

quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
my solution is to use white distilled vinegar in place of fabric softener.

This, I'll try!

God bless America.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I use one of these thingys but I put vinegar in it instead of fabric softener.

Centrifugal force opens it during the first spin cycle, so the vinegar is released during the rinse.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Oh, cool! I haven't seen one of those in years!

God bless America.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:

Oh, cool! I haven't seen one of those in years!
I think that they're on the shelf at Walmart. I haven't checked Amazon, but they're probably there too, and I'll bet the somebody is selling them on eBay.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Aside from the mess fabric softener makes in the washing machine, I had a septic system service company guy tell me fabric softener was the number one cause of drain field failures he saw. Given the price of a replacement drain field in Florida, I banned it from the house.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I stopped using the liquid in our front loader at the suggestion of the forum a while ago.
Our washer and clothes would stink pretty bad. We’d leave the door open and not let laundry sit in the washer long at all but it would still just stink.

Someone asked if we used liquid fabric softener to which we did.
They suggested to completely clean out the tray/dispenser and lines to the washer.
I believe they said most fabric softener used some sort of oil (??) that lead to it becoming gummy and moldy.
Sure enough I took apart the washer to start cleaning and that tray in the back and the chute to the wash tub was absolutely disgusting!!
As I got closer to the tub it got black and the smell was terrible.
After that we switched to those little sprinkle pellets in the wash and dryer sheets in the dryer.
No issues whatsoever.
I will not be buying another front load washer after this presuming top loads are still available.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Based on a Sigforum suggestion, I ditched fabric softener 10+ years ago. I've used nothing but distilled white vinegar in its place. A helluva lot cheaper too when buying the gallon jugs.

Fabric softener is full of fats that clog up everything. With vinegar there is no gunk in machine, no more waterproof towels, no more funky moisture wicking clothing, etc.

All of the vinegar odor goes away in the dryer.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23257 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Never use it in the washer. I use a pet dryer sheet to help with husky fur repelling.

I never use fabric softener on towels.

Once a month, I do pour vinegar into the fabric softener spot on the washer when I wash my towels.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
After 15+ years, my washer started leaving black marks on my white dress shirts... Turns out that liquid fabric softener turned into a greasy waxy substance that took me a couple of hours to clean after disassembling my washer. It was really gross. I'll never use that stuff again.

Now, I'll occasionally use some vinegar, but that's it.

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:

Once a month, I do pour vinegar into the fabric softener spot on the washer when I wash my towels.

This. Vinegar is your friend. Helps towels absorb more water too.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post