SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to get rid of ants in my kitchen (the insect kind)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to get rid of ants in my kitchen (the insect kind) Login/Join 
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted
Over the past six months I have been having an ant problem in my kitchen. I have tried ant traps but they don't seam to like the bait. I do not want to spray chemicals around the kitchens.
Does any one have any ideas of a different approach. The ants are tiny and I have been told they are sugar ants but I am not sure.
I have used a liquid bait called Terro And have had limited success. They are coming through a crack in the floor under my refrigerator so I don't want to spray chemicals. I cant seal the crack because I cant remove the refrigerator with out taking the doors off I have a small tight kitchen.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2574 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I have used boric acid with good effect:

http://www.ehow.com/how_507783...ants-boric-acid.html

Posts: 26935 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I have had black ants in our kitchen from time to time. I typically spray around the foundation and up to where the siding starts. This seems to do a fairly good job of putting up a barrier to keep them out. When they are in the house already I have used a spray in areas away from the food.

Posts: 2338 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We had a similar problem and our exterminator put out some bait that they take back to the nest. It worked!! I don't know the name of it, maybe a local pest control business can give you some. I didn't take much.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3405 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
to spray chemicals. I cant seal the crack because I cant remove the refrigerator with out taking the doors off I have a small tight kitchen.

I've got the same problem as you right now. I am thinking of spraying permethrin or similar around the foundation outside and inside. Will look into the bait to take back to the nest.

Posts: 2834 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Only way I could control ants in my Glades county fish camp was with termidor termite poison mixed weak and sprayed on the house perimeter, up 3 ft and out 3 ft. Spray good, do again in 2 weeks and monthly thereafter. I buy mine here:

http://store.doyourownpestcont...aurus-sc-insecticide

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
This has been the best for me. Mix equals parts borax and sugar in a little water. Soak cotton balls with this and put them where the ants are. They carry the borax back and kill the nest. I have to do this 1-2 times a year and works every time.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7081 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Down south of you here in Florida, we just put a lock on the refrigerator door Big Grin

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I had problems with ants getting into bee hives.I used johnsons baby powder with sucess.
These were the really small ants that I call sugar ants.
Non toxic to the bees.

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with Terro which is basically the borax.
Key is keeping fresh "bait" down. They seem to come in waves for a week or so. If its not in a kitchen I'll run it for 4-5 days and then douse down the entry point with a spray.
Good success with this method.
Kind of wild to watch them go nuts on the Terro.
The wife will also make an appearance or two and sing her rendition of "Alien Ant Farm" but I'm convinced that has not impact on the overall outcome.

Posts: 1971 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Ortho Home Defense. Safe indoors or out. Spray around the perimeter of house and inside where problems are. Family/pet safe once it dries (read and follow directions).

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20838 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
This has been the best for me. Mix equals parts borax and sugar in a little water. Soak cotton balls with this and put them where the ants are. They carry the borax back and kill the nest. I have to do this 1-2 times a year and works every time.

We have done this and it seems to work. We also keep a spray bottle filled with white vinegar (we use it as our multisurfacd cleaner) and it will kill the ants you see, but that's all.

Bait them with borax and sugar.

Posts: 6374 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
search 'diatomaceous earth', non-toxic, but wear a dust mask when applying. A fine powder that cuts the exoskeleton of crawling insects, and they die soon after contact. Can be applied around baseboards around entire house.

Posts: 56 | Location: Georgia | Registered: October 09, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
my mom uses cinnamon, she swears it works.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
There are Do-It-Yourself Pest Control stores around here.

We had a similar problem, they told me to bring in an ant so they could identify it, as different baits work for different types of ants.

I captured a couple, but them in a jar, took them to the store. They gave me, I mean sold me, some adhesive-backed little trap thingies with the correct bait for that type of ant.

Problem was solved very quickly! Ants took the bait, carried it back to their mother ship where evidently they all feasted on it, and in short order we had no more kitchen ants.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30715 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Bifen

spray it around everywhere-inside and out, then wipe down the counters and you won't get dosed..

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11301 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Humor aside...in the many years of living here in South Florida, Terro works for a limited period but they will come back in time. Some years they seem to thin out but return in a vengeance if we have a long wet rainy season. The only time we were rid of them for several years I had hired a spray service to rid my yard of fleas and/or ticks when I had dogs and with neighbors adjacent that wouldn't spray or bathe their outdoor dogs in yards, they too would eventually come back. I eventually gave up. But the service did keep the ants away while they were spraying. Other than that, just the Terro from time to time.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Amdro ant stakes.

Put a drop of water in the hole, stir with a toothpick, discard toothpick in a safe place, set the stake along the ants path, watch the fun.

Be quick about the observation, it will only last a couple days until all the ants are gone.

Grants ant stakes are the same thing and work well too.

Posts: 2833 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
I've had good luck with Terro...

I'll second this recommendation.
I had sugar ants coming into my kitchen in my brand new house, and I didn't know what to do. No amount of treating the foundation had any effect.

Out of desperation I bought some Terro ant bait (the liquid type) and put several drops on an upside down plastic coffee cup lid (disposable type), modified to make it easy for the ants to get to the bait.

They found it in short order, and stopped going all over the kitchen. They were going directly to the bait. I even found the point of entry to the house, but didn't seal it, as I wanted to kill the nest.

It took a while, but eventually it killed all of them. It's been 3 or 4 years since I've seen them.

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
You need to try various bait traps or granules until you find what they like which will become readily apparent once you see them crowding to the bait traps/gel. My understanding is there are ants the like grease or sugar and it may depend on the time of season. Best to treat around the house and inside if possible. Home Depot and Lowes have a whole bunch of ant control stuff. They have bait traps. gels, and the granules that you sprinkle around the perimeter of the house. The gel that comes in a syringe is nice in that you can easily put bait in specific areas. Always read warnings about anything you use inside due to dangers to children and pets.

Posts: 9749 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post