SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Auto Paint/restoration folks...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto Paint/restoration folks... Login/Join 
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted
Is there any type of clear that I can shoot over the license plates on my antique truck to keep them from weathering?

They are original 1954 Texas Truck plates that I would like to keep looking good.

Thanks for suggestions!

ETA: Notice plate number/posting count! How coincidental!

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3127 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
SEM clearcoat should be good.

Flat, semi-gloss and gloss.

Taker yer pick.

Those plates look great.

But you need to post lots more pics of the truck...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
SPI (Southern Polyurethane Inc ) makes a clear coat that is second to none. I have used it on show cars and cycles. It is forgiving as long you follow the instructions. No matter how bad you mess up the spray job, it is repairable. And I have never had it yellow or crack. Try it. You may want to do the whole car. My first car, I did it one panel at a time. Looked great.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Howdy neighbor.

Posts: 6592 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd drop by a local paint and body shop and have them clear them for you. They should be able to get it right the first time, and you absolutely don't want any mistakes made on them.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BradleyS
posted Hide Post
How about posting a few photos of the whole truck.

Isaiah 6:8

Posts: 618 | Location: Salisbury | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
More pics of yer Chevy

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1101 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
As Monkey posted, SEM is GTG. It is convenient enough to recoat every so often. I use it on my 4runner air deflector thingy. Three coats of satin black lasts about 4 years before age begins to show. Comes in clear too.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I ordered some of the SEM to try.

Here are a couple more pictures...

Let me introduce "Lucille"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TomS,

Best regards,

Tom

Posts: 3127 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! A lot prettier than the one I learned to drive in from my grandpa.

I hope it still has the starter peg!!!

Posts: 1571 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Beautiful truck but I question the necessity to clearcoat the license plate?

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:
I hope it still has the starter peg!!!

She's a 6v stomp starter.

Best regards,

Tom