Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lost my job Login/Join 
posted
I have been a nurse practitioner for 10 years. I was asked to come to a meeting where I was informed I was either going to be fired or could either resign a job I was good at. My offense was speaking out against incompetence with the current management. I know silence is golden but I can only take so much fraud and complacency with it by a system. I will not mention the institution but every day I see them turning a blind eye to doctors bills no for services not performed or adding consultants that are not needed to feed the money cow. I can get a lawyer and go that route or take their severance package. I am an honest person. My word is a very serious thing to me. I am in such conflict in this. I have a family to support, and usual bills. If I fight and win it is only a matter of time before I get canned and then blackballed. What does the brain trust think. My anxiety is through the roof.

Jim

Posts: 279 | Location: Northeast Ohio  | Registered: August 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Why the heck would you fight to get that job back? Take the severance package and run. Then find a practice that makes you feel good to work at. Especially if the package is big enough to get you through enough time to land a better gig.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20831 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Take the severance and find a better employer. Life's too short to be stuck working for assholes, particularly dishonest ones. I don't take a job I'm not willing to walk away from, and I have.

The temptation will be strong to put your feelings in a resignation letter. It's best not to.

You might talk to an attorney privately about a whistleblower claim.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Severance and bail out. You’re not responsible for all that crap. You did what you could.

Posts: 13746 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ugh. Sorry for your situation. I've been laid-off 3 times, once when I was young so no big deal, but twice in a row in my 40s = big deal.

Many factors to consider, including whether fighting it, successfully or not, will adversely impact your getting a new job (short- and long-term). If you were unhappy, and it sounds like you were, moving on is probably the best thing...and taking care of your family. Fighting the good fight might be worth it, but you have to consider pros vs. cons.

Best of luck regardless.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Agree take the severance and go find another employer and move on with your life,

the job market is tight now meaning employers are paying more for good employees, get a new job, start fresh and forget about the problem people...

Posts: 23504 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
People will snap you up. I'm on my second month being in Northeast Georgia Medical Center in Gainesville. Nice place, consider moving here!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Ensure that the place you are being asked to leave has a neutral reference policy. (verifying employment only...no comments, good or bad).

If they do not, be sure you know what will be said if someone calls to get a reference on your work there. You need to be prepared to answer the, "why did you leave the last job question", and your current OP is not something you can go with....you'll be labeled a risk-hire and the hiring manager will go with the safe choice.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12337 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I’m a recruiter (not in this field). Take a deep breath, what is happening is a big blow and even worse is that it is unjustified. Here’s my advice:

1. Take the severance, don’t say anything negative moving forward. Be a model employee for the last couple weeks.

2. Look for a new job, and don’t badmouth the old employer. Think about possible reasons for a change (new challenge, kids grown up, closer to family etc), and use that excuse when discussing with recruiters and interviewers.

Good luck! After 1 and 2, you can meet with an attorney discreetly, but the important thing is to take care of you and your income stream.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who sang "Go on! Take the money and run!?"

Look for a better employer. Take the severance. If you fight it, it will make life more difficult in finding a new job in the meantime.

And after you've calmed down a few days, objectively look at the issues that came up or the fraud you detected. If it helps, record them in column and grade them on severity. In the end, were you making mountains out of mole hills? Also, did you do things that may have been considered out of bounds or against policy? My experience has been, even for really good employees like you, there's a little give and take to make a good work environment. Outright fraud and deceit would be difficult to stomach though.

In this good economy, move up in employer. Ain't nobody got time for that crap.

P229

Posts: 3835 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Find a better job elsewhere and take the severance package. A CNP that doesn't have a firing on their record should get snapped up easily.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17281 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would probably feel good sticking it to those miserable turds.

But this doesn't seem like a hill worth dying on.

Swallow the anger, take the severance and go be happy.

May take some time and effort, but this seems like a faster path to happiness than battling those shits for who knows how long.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Come to Georgia.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34126 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Another thing to think about is what you’re describing is likely insurance fraud, and if Medicare and Medicaid are involved it is likely a federal crime....

There are likely whistleblower protections out there if you would want to explore that route

Does the severance package contain a silence clause?

Because, if it was me, I would probably take th severance and then report what I had seen...

(No one gets away with that stuff forever. I’m a lawyer that owns a medical practice and worked once upon a time as part of a private profiling team that consulted for law enforcement. It’s been an interesting life. Anyway, when it goes south, they will look at former employees to be witnesses. If what you’re seeing really is rampant fraud it’s just something to consider)

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are lucky this is happening. You would be miserable working there in the long run. You will find a much better place to work and will be happier.

Then I would consider making a complaint about their business practices. Also, gather evidence to use against them. Not to sue for your job, but to help authorities go after the corruption. I would not make copies of anything, but perhaps memorize some of the patient names and dates of false billing. You cannot break patient confidentiality, but a few notes to help you remember when, where, and how the management is stealing from the insurance companies.

-c1steve

Posts: 4060 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Take the money, write down as much as you can remember just in case such details may one day be of value, and move on.

I was once fired for just such an offense. No severance.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
Another thing to think about is what you’re describing is likely insurance fraud, and if Medicare and Medicaid are involved it is likely a federal crime....

There are likely whistleblower protections out there if you would want to explore that route

Does the severance package contain a silence clause?

Because, if it was me, I would probably take th severance and then report what I had seen...

(No one gets away with that stuff forever. I’m a lawyer that owns a medical practice and worked once upon a time as part of a private profiling team that consulted for law enforcement. It’s been an interesting life. Anyway, when it goes south, they will look at former employees to be witnesses. If what you’re seeing really is rampant fraud it’s just something to consider)

Can a silence clause be enforced if what he reports was fraudulent? I’m curious, and pretty naive about legal issues- like OP, I just believe what’s right is right, and that the telling the truth shouldn’t be punished.

I agree, move on and don’t badmouth your current to your future employer. It just leaves a bad taste. As others said, once you’ve stabilized your position, take a closer look at the infractions you witnessed and determine if they are reportable. At that point, I’d follow my conscience.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5328 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I'm an HR Director. Take the severance and move on. In today's job market it isn't worth fighting to keep a shitty job.

Do the best job you can on the way out and don't speak ill of them to future employers. You won't get hired if you speak negatively about past employers.

You'll get snatched up in today's job market. Use this as a way to move forward to something better.

Posts: 4987 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Whistleblowers don’t do well in the real world. Take the package and your good reputation and move on.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do not burn bridges. Time tempers memories (theirs, not yours) and there may be a time they will need to remember you. “Friendly” parting is the memory they should have.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post