SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wife’s iPhone will only send emails from home wifi
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wife’s iPhone will only send emails from home wifi Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Wife’s iPhone will only send emails when she is connected to our home wifi.
Won’t send on cellular and won’t send from other peoples wifi.
The emails just sit in the outbox until we get home.
Kind of problematic any thoughts?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
iCloud email or another service? I have Outlook and Yahoo accounts on my iPhone and they can be flakey. Outlook asks for passwords randomly and won't accept the actual password some of the time.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Settings: then Mail: then is Cellular thing turned off? Make sure On

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
^this.

Posts: 12540 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Don’t do mail on the phone, but would have thought settings, cellular data, then scroll down to whatever mail app and make sure it is allowed to use cellular data.

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

This will probably fix it.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
iCloud email or another service? I have Outlook and Yahoo accounts on my iPhone and they can be flakey. Outlook asks for passwords randomly and won't accept the actual password some of the time.

Gmail, outlook, and our ISP

quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

Cellular is on.

————————————————

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Do a Network Reset

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

Cellular is on.
There are levels to what is "on" as far cellular on the iPhone so that people don't blow their data allotment with their provider.

Goto Setting --> Cellular and check out these:
  • --> Cellular Data (needs to be on)
  • Scroll down to the specifics and make sure that Mail, Outlook, and Gmail are on.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23218 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of jbcummings
    posted Hide Post
    Mail clients (her phone app) need to be able to talk to an SMTP (simple mail transport protocol) server to send mail. I’d the use of cellular is turned on, then the issue may be the SMTP server listed is not known by any network other than your home WiFi. Make sure the SMTP server is reachable from cellular & foreign WiFi.

———-
    Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    A Grateful American
    Picture of sigmonkey
    posted Hide Post
    Not knowing how your email is configured, it is possible the SMTP (outbound) mail server may be your ISP's server (SMTP), and when you are connecting from anything but your ISP at home, the SMTP is refusing the connection because it "appears" as a relay attempt, or other disallowed rule.
    (this is an "older way things were done to control SPAM, and some people still set mail servers up to do this)

Basically like having mail with a Los Angeles address being handed to the post office clerk in New York, and the postal person hands it back and refuses to accept it because you cannot mail using different (city) Post Office than the one (city) it is addressed from.
    (not a real thing, but hope to help understand)

For privacy/security, if you want to, email me the type mail application, the type of mail service, I'll take a quick look, and maybe a phone call with you try and sort it out.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Raised Hands Surround Us
    Picture of Black92LX
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by sigmonkey:
    Not knowing how your email is configured, it is possible the SMTP (outbound) mail server may be your ISP's server (SMTP), and when you are connecting from anything but your ISP at home, the SMTP is refusing the connection because it "appears" as a relay attempt, or other disallowed rule.
    (this is an "older way things were done to control SPAM, and some people still set mail servers up to do this)

Basically like having mail with a Los Angeles address being handed to the post office clerk in New York, and the postal person hands it back and refuses to accept it because you cannot mail using different (city) Post Office than the one (city) it is addressed from.
    (not a real thing, but hope to help understand)

For privacy/security, if you want to, email me the type mail application, the type of mail service, I'll take a quick look, and maybe a phone call with you try and sort it out.

I have no idea what any of this means but I think it may have been the problem.

I went into each account on the phone and clicked SMTP server.

For instance Gmail at the top it says Primary Server Gmail On.

Then farther down it says Other SMTP Servers and it lists our ISP SMTP. It was clicked to off.
    It did that with each email account.
    So I clicked those to on for each account.

Guess we’ll see if that does it.

————————————————

quarter MOA visionary
    Picture of smschulz
    posted Hide Post
    I would say this is a networking issue.
    * Home WiFi = no issues
    * Alternate Wi-Fi = problems
    > check whether the phone is configured to get an IP (DHCP)
    > If static IP is set then it most likely won't work elsewhere
    > check to see if it also will browse web pages on alternate WiFi network.
    >> If so > check email settings
    >> if not then see above
    * Cellular connection = issues
    > check that cellular "data" is enabled
    >> If so then recheck email settings.

A network reset might help as well but something tells me something got toggled off somehow.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of skywag
    posted Hide Post
    Re-boot

Posts: 173 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get my pies
    outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
    posted Hide Post
    OP:

Have you done a network reset yet?

Only takes about a minute, doesn’t hurt anything other than resetting all network configurations meaning you will have to re-enter your Wi-Fi password. Solves a lot of problems pretty quickly.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Savor the limelight
    posted Hide Post
    Resetting the network settings is around the third to last thing I would try. I have a lot of saved networks. Seriously, I’d delete my contacts before I reset my network settings.

I’m not suggesting Black needs to delete his wife’s contacts.

Posts: 10912 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Nullus Anxietas
    Picture of ensigmatic
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:

Are you talking about the apps, the services, or both?

I.e.: Are you using the Gmail and Outlook email apps, or the Gmail and Outlook email services with, say, the iPhone's native email app?

quote:
    Originally posted by sigmonkey:
    It's not "older" at all. No modern, properly-configured email server will mail-relay -- unless it's explicitly set up to mail-relay for specific domains.

Having an open mail relay will get ones servers on no end of blacklists tout de suite.

quote:
    I went into each account on the phone and clicked SMTP server.

For instance Gmail at the top it says Primary Server Gmail On.

Then farther down it says Other SMTP Servers and it lists our ISP SMTP. It was clicked to off.
    It did that with each email account.
    So I clicked those to on for each account.

Guess we’ll see if that does it.
    Ok, it sounds like she's using the iPhone's default email app for three email accounts: Gmail, Outlook, and your ISP?

If that's true, and you did what I think you did: It probably will not be enough. There's other configuration in there for the outbound mail server (the server, and service upon that server, to which she connects to send email). Config such as whether or not to use SSL (you definitely should, unless she wants to be sending login credentials in the clear) and what port to which to connect (should be "submission," on port 587).

iOS makes it easier than most, but it's still not the most straight-forward of things, sometimes.

However, none of this explains why it would work from your home WiFi network but nowhere else. What works on one network should work for all--with the possible exception of your ISP's mail server. It may be set up to regard anything coming from it's own address space as legitimate.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
    "If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get my pies
    outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by trapper189:
    Resetting the network settings is around the third to last thing I would try. I have a lot of saved networks. Seriously, I’d delete my contacts before I reset my network settings.

I’m not suggesting Black needs to delete his wife’s contacts.

You can't be serious with a comment like that unless you don't even know what an iPhone network reset is.

You mean to say you can't take a minute to re-enter some saved Wi-Fi passwords you have? Roll Eyes

OP: Do the Network Reset, this will most likely solve the issue.

Nullus Anxietas
    Picture of ensigmatic
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by PASig:
    You can't be serious with a comment like that unless you don't even know what an iPhone network reset is.

You mean to say you can't take a minute to re-enter some saved Wi-Fi passwords you have? Roll Eyes
    Dontcha just love it when somebody posts something like that, complete with a Roll Eyes, and they clearly don't know what they're talking about. I do

quote:

Resetting network settings on your iPhone erases all Internet- and network-related data stored on your device. This includes names of WiFi networks, passwords, Bluetooth devices you've previously paired with, cellular network preferences, and VPN settings.

Ref: How to reset the network settings on your iPhone, and what happens when you do

A network reset is one of the last things you want to do, just about short of a full phone factory reset.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
    "If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get my pies
    outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by ensigmatic:

A network reset is one of the last things you want to do, just about short of a full phone factory reset.

Bullshit

Network Reset is a useful tool and has solved many issues for me over the years. OMG, you have to renter your Wi-Fi PW and BT pairing again. The horror!