SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What did You Buy With Your First Paycheck?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did You Buy With Your First Paycheck? Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted
So I was thinking. When you got your first job, what was the first thing you bought? My first job was a paper route. I was 10 (1984). Paper routes were like gold to kids in my neighborhood so I had to start out small. I actually got a route of 13 papers about a mile from my house. The kid that had the local route wouldn’t give it up. Back then we charged $.35 daily, $1 on Sundays. A week was $1.95 delivered (discounted for weekly). I think I paid $1.35 for a weekly subscriber. And then the tip. The tip was a big part of my income. And that depended on service. We were not allowed to throw papers, we had to place them in the door. Even if that door was on the third story of a triple decker in Dorchester. My mom used to save the bags from Shaws so I could wrap my papers when it was raining. This helped with the tip. I got all my papers out by 8 AM, even on Sundays when they were huge and I had to make multiple trips back to my stop to load up. But my customers loved it. My Christmas tips were through the roof because I was on time. When I finally took over the local route (about 65 papers) I could clear $300 plus on Christmas week. Me and my Schwin with the paper bag on the front. On Saturdays when we rolled to the comic book store and the packie for a Coke I always had cash. Good money for a 14 year old. I gave up the route right before I turned 15 as I was playing high school ball and was looking at my drivers license.

So as I was saying, I remember my mom taking us to K Mart and I spent $4 of my hard earned money to buy the 45 theme song record of the Greatest American Hero…a great way to spend $4….

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Beer

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
My first "paycheck" was for filming a commercial when I was a kid. I bought an OG Gameboy. I still have it, and it still works.

Posts: 3663 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
22LR ammo & pepperoni sticks (14 years old, first W-2 Income)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put it in the Bank.

Posts: 17249 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My first real job (job I paid taxes for), I paid my dad the money it would cost for my car insurance. I was 17. Then I joined the service and all of my $752.70 was spent on car, rent and drinks.

I had worked for dads friends as a construction helper, but I had no car and he picked me up and I did what I was told...

Mowed the yard and was a household slave before that- but that’s life.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
My first "paycheck" was for filming a commercial when I was a kid. I bought an OG Gameboy. I still have it, and it still works.

Well, this simply raises more questions. You must have a copy of the commercial (or we can find it). Big Grin

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I spent one summer mowing grass, painted a chainlink fence around an acre lot for my grandparents neighbor.
I wanted a BMX bike.
I ended up with a 1994 Mongoose Villian. I believe I paid $585 on sale when the 95s came out.

But for a job with a real paycheck my first job was as a Caddy at the local Country Club when I was 14.
I bought a futon.
Used it all through college. It still resides in my Mom’s basement 15 year after graduating college.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25430 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remington 597. Literally the worst .22 ever made, I still feel cheated

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started working for my Dad, a plumber at 12. I was just the go-fer kid but I got a quarter an hour. At the end of summer, my parents made me buy my own school clothes with what I had saved.

That sucked, and most likely ruined my saving instinct. It made me be a made for the moment kind of guy, sad to say. My now wife, 50+ years later still gets after me for it. Although she is no better than me.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
In 1967 when I was 14, I got a job on a milk truck. Glass bottles, a lot of 3rd floor delivery with no elevators. I made $12 a day. After working the first summer I bought a 17" RCA black and white TV for my bedroom that I shared with my brother . I kept that job for 3 years until we moved.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4016 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
A three tray Plano tackle box to replace my rusty old single tray box and a bunch of sundry fishing supplies Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... 8 years old, delivering newspapers on the bicycle, before the dawn.

First paycheck, gave it all to mom.
Never thought differently.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Gas and a Case pocket knife was one of my first checks.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
A 35mm camera. A Pentax ME with a Pentax 50mm f1.7 lens.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/w.../Pentax_ME_M50mm.jpg

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107633 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Probably .22 shells and/or car magazines. It was 1963 I got paid $5 a DAY to paint a barn, I was twelve.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I spent one summer mowing grass, painted a chainlink fence around an acre lot for my grandparents neighbor.
I wanted a BMX bike.
I ended up with a 1994 Mongoose Villian. I believe I paid $585 on sale when the 95s came out.

But for a job with a real paycheck my first job was as a Caddy at the local Country Club when I was 14.
I bought a futon.
Used it all through college. It still resides in my Mom’s basement 15 year after graduating college.

So funny, I bought a GT pro performer. Loved that bike.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5911 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
In my best jhe888: Hookers and blow.

My first job was cutting lawns in my neighborhood. The first thing I remember buying of any value was a Sears adjustable weight bench with a built-in leg curl/leg extension station and uprights that adjusted to allow squats along with bench movements. I picked it up from Sears, went straight home and put it together. I was working to add size for football and totally stoked at having this great new piece of hardware.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:
... 8 years old, delivering newspapers on the bicycle, before the dawn.

First paycheck, gave it all to mom.
Never thought differently.

This hits me because my dad passed when I was 10 and I remember my uncle telling me I was the man of the family now...a part of my weekly paper route money went to my mom for her and my sister. I felt like I needed to contribute. Dam.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add the first thing that I wanted to buy with my first paychecks. A bright green Raleigh Chopper bike, I thought I was cool as sh*t on that damn thing!!

Tried to invent extended forks with 3/4" copper tubing, what a disappointment, did a wheelie and when I came down the extended forks broke and I went cartwheeling.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post