SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone got any first hand knowledge of Izard Co / Melbourne, AR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone got any first hand knowledge of Izard Co / Melbourne, AR Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
Looking at 20 acres there for a summer vacation and place to have. Pretty remote property but anyone got any big negatives about the area?

Is it 4 season area? What are the summer and winter extremes?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OttoSig,

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6337 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
You might find the Wkikpedia article helpful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izard_County,_Arkansas

One thing mentioned that might be important to you is that Izard is a "dry" county.

For weather information, check https://www.bestplaces.net/wea...ounty/arkansas/izard

My parents and grandparents lived in Stone and Independence counties, which border Izard on its southern edge. It is pleasant territory, fertile, and occupied by nice folk.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
No first hand knowledge on Izard Co itself, but when we lived in Springfield, MO I travelled between there and Memphis pretty regularly, also spent a fair amount of time in the Hardy, AR area.

As you note remote, but Mountain Home is near enough by and has the essentials. Neither summer nor winter are extreme in any regard; definitely a four season type of environment. Fall in the Ozarks is an awesome time of year.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
You might find the Wkikpedia article helpful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izard_County,_Arkansas

One thing mentioned that might be important to you is that Izard is a "dry" county.

For weather information, check https://www.bestplaces.net/wea...ounty/arkansas/izard

My parents and grandparents lived in Stone and Independence counties, which border Izard on its southern edge. It is pleasant territory, fertile, and occupied by nice folk.

flashguy

Thanks FG, Been doing as much crash-course researching as I can. I was curious about the dry country thing, back when I used to travel the Southeast a lot, that bible-belt area was a pain in the ass.

First time I ever saw Wal-Mart rope off the toilet paper before 1pm on a Sunday. Only food available to purchase.

Your last sentence is what I'm most interested in though, hopefully the area is still the same.

Posts: 6337 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
96° and dew point of 72 today

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
96° and dew point of 72 today

Yeah...August was always the worst month when I lived in Florida.

Did a lot of work in Texarkana and while it was always HOT as balls, humidity was better than Florida.

So my dilemma or decision to make is. I'm look at properties in both Montana and Arkansas. I'm strongly considering both! However, if I cannot swing that and have to decide on one then my options are either deal with the heat of Arkansas or Deal with the extreme cold of Montana.

I'm just not sure which one if gonna get old first lol.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's hard to imagine a scenario where Arkansas is better living than Montana.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First hand knowledge.

I live 90 minutes from there and was dear friends with the former Izard County Sheriff. I've spent many days there.

Strikingly gorgeous place. Almost Mayberry. Very, very low crime rate. Violent crimes are exceedingly rare. Cost of living is low, as are taxes. Rolling Ozark foothills. White River is nearby and holds the world record for brown trout. Lake Norfork, Greers Ferry Lake, and Bull Shoals Lake are nearby and are crystal clear. Mountain View is a short distance to the southwest, and is world famous for its bluegrass music and festivals.

The weather is four seasons. Early November sees Melbourne turn gold and orange. Incredible.

Summers have been mild for the last 3 years. July and August have humidity, but in the elevations of Melbourne, it's tolerable. Rarely above 100 degrees. Springs are great, and there are no mosquitoes. Winters have also been mild, with temperatures below freezing only occasionally. We'll get the occasional "arctic blast," from the north, maybe 1-2 times annually. Snow has been hit or miss over the last few years, but when we do have them, they usually don't last for more than 2-3 days before melting clears the roads.

Melbourne is a wonderful place. I like it so much that if I could retire, I'd move there tomorrow.

Posts: 1094 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

Imagine winter in Montana. Big Grin

Posts: 32539 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

Imagine winter in Montana. Big Grin

And entertaining your former CA neighbors who live there now. Big Grin

Posts: 23526 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
When it's cold, you can add extra clothes. In summer, they frown on being outdoors in your birthday suit. Smile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
When it's cold, you can add extra clothes. In summer, they frown on being outdoors in your birthday suit. Smile
I agree in principle, but I'm not sure there are enough clothes for me to be outside in a Montana winter.

Most Californians who move to Montana will soon die there.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:

I love Cold, I truly do, having grown up in Pensacola, all those dumbasses that say, "oh you must be used to the heat", oh yeah, I've rapidly evolved some how in 30 years to where it doesn't suck as much for me Roll Eyes

Then I look at the statistics and it's 220 nights a year below freezing, 90 solids days below freezing and still only 30 days less of 80+ degree weather. I know for a fact I can handle the cold, but how productive can one be in the cold, I like to be out, camping, hiking, building, tending to chickens, garden, etc. If that time frame is limited to 4 months a year in 6K feet of elevation I'm not sure how many months of boredom I'm gonna have.

I LOVE Montana for the scenery and like I said I are looking there as well. But the price, location, scenery and climate of Arkansas makes is extremely appealing to me.

Don't forget, I'm from Florida, we got snow once in '93. So northern Arkansas is "Northern weather" to me. I never saw a spring or fall until we traveled.

posted Hide Post
I've spent quite a bit of time in Arkansas. Some beautiful country there, and like most places, some great people. Arkansas has some varied topography and weather and climate; whatever you're after, except for desert or alpine, is there. Mostly.

I've flown out of Melbourne, though honestly can't remember much about it. Not a long runway, not that it matters much. Nice area.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post