SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is it near time to Texit? Texas Lawmaker Seeks Vote on Secession From US
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it near time to Texit? Texas Lawmaker Seeks Vote on Secession From US Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The members of our Armed Forces have family members that live among us. Aggression on their end would not last very long.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While antifa and the nfac might mostly look like a clown show, don't think for a moment that there aren't well-trained military veterans on the commie side. Just like the street gangs who send their members to enlist for free training. Underestimating the enemy is never wise.

Posts: 368 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Secession is not as easy as it sounds.

What happens when the US closes every military base and VA hospital in the new country of Texas and relocates those facilities back to the US? And relocates all of those personnel, who currently comprise a not insignificant part of the Texas economy, back to the US? What happens when Texas citizens, who are no longer citizens of the US, apply for Social Security benefits when they reach retirement age? Where is that money going to come from? What happens when federal highway funds and other federal programs disappear? Will Texas have the money to fund these things? How high will the new Texas income tax have to be? US government contractors currently located in Texas may find it problematic, once they become foreign entities, to do business with the US. Look for a mass exodus of such contractors, and the loss of every penny of the Texas economy they represent. Many corporations currently headquartered or operating in Texas might prefer to relocate their operations back the the US, representing another blow to the Texas economy. While there will likely be offsetting benefits, tax incentives, tax haven status and perhaps banking privacy advantages to remain in Texas, and some companies will chose to remain in Texas, how all of this shakes out isn't quite certain.

I'm not saying the idea isn't attractive on some level, but it won't be easy and perhaps not even economically feasible.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markand:. . . I'm not saying the idea isn't attractive on some level, but it won't be easy and perhaps not even economically feasible.

Not an exact correlation, and I haven''t seen the numbers. I would bet that TX likely contributes more to the Fed's than they receive from the Feds, which is the opposite of CA.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by markand:. . . I'm not saying the idea isn't attractive on some level, but it won't be easy and perhaps not even economically feasible.

Not an exact correlation, and I haven''t seen the numbers. I would bet that TX likely contributes more to the Fed's than they receive from the Feds, which is the opposite of CA.

I seem to recall it's been that way for a while.

Posts: 11415 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post