SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    App to run older Windows based programs?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

App to run older Windows based programs? Login/Join 
posted
Anyone know if there is an app or program available to run a disc from an older version of Windows to Windows 10?

I have a Ford Service manual CD from Windows Me era that Windows 10 won't recognize.

Posts: 3683 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
You may be able to run it on a Virtual Machine on your PC.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wik...ads?replytocom=98578

or

https://www.vmware.com/product...ayer-evaluation.html

If you need help, hollar. I or others can assist.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
What exactly is on the disk?
File format?

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Virtualbox running Windows XP Pro on my computers in order to use Micrografx Picture Publisher and Autocad 2000. Took a bit of poking around and surfing the help forum but now that it's running it does exactly what I needed it to do.

BTW, one tip concerning Shared Folders (how you move files between the Host (win 10) and Guest (win XP). That is you have to restart the operating system in the virtual machine before that shared folder will be visible in the virtual machine. More than anything else that particular item had me chasing my tail.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5770 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Some of those vertical systems used a program and a file extension alias to prevent access without the program, (but those were fairly easy to get past). Had a client with a body shop that had a really nasty system that had him locked to Windows 98 for years beyond what should have been. But he paid $10G a year for it and he was adamant about letting them dictate the OS. Every-time he upgraded, we had to do a nuke and pave of W2k and then XP, as it would not run in a VM.

Others used proprietary db for vendor lock-in.

And it may have an installer that is version checking Windows and since it is so old, it does not recognize W10 version number and will not install.

petr, can you provide a bit more info on this?

Any error messages? Or is the disc just not being recognized?

And if that is the case, is the disc readable in any system?
Or possibly scratched?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a factory Ford Service manual. I know it works on an XP system but not Windows 7 or higher as I had it installed on an old computer with XP on it. I don't know what type of files are on the disc other than .exc might be one of them. It was printed in 2001 before Ford went to DVD format.

The disc is not scratched or worn in any way. I opened it, downloaded onto a computer, and put away in its jewel case.

Edit: August 1999 is the print date.

Posts: 3683 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Is it Helms?

If so, VirtualBox will support it.

posted Hide Post
Message that pops up when I double click the install file says, "This app can't run on your PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher."

No Compromise
posted Hide Post
VirtualBox is free from here. Follow the install instructions and then create a new virtual machine for Windows XP. Do you have a copy of XP you can install in a VM? If not, one of us around here can probably help you out.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not have a hard copy of XP. The computers came with it installed, but no disc.

No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
I do not have a hard copy of XP. The computers came with it installed, but no disc.

Email sent to your address in your profile.

H&K-Guy

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
So you can't see the files or just that it won't install?
If you can "see" files but not install then another program might be able to read them even if the default app won't install/run.

Also if you have a computer with W7 Pro then you can install "XP Mode" and run a virtualized XP.
It is free/part of W7 Pro.

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Email me your address and I'll see if I still have any XP discs and keys in my office in the morning and pop it it the mail.

Unless H&K-Guy can help, just let me know. Smile

No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Email me your address and I'll see if I still have any XP discs and keys in my office in the morning and pop it it the mail.

Unless H&K-Guy can help, just let me know. Smile

SM, I have an MSDN licensed copy with a freed up key, 'cause you want to stay legal, 'n' stuff.

I, or both of us, can probably work him through it from there.

H&K-Guy

posted Hide Post
H&K, I sent a reply. Thank you!

I can see the files but can not install them. I downloaded VirtualBox.

posted Hide Post
SigMonkey, Thank you for the offer

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:...

SM, I have an MSDN licensed copy with a freed up key, 'cause you want to stay legal, 'n' stuff.

I, or both of us, can probably work him through it from there.

H&K-Guy

Thanks for stepping in. Smile

Mine is also MSDN, and I also had a few retail, but not sure if they were purged.

petr. Anytime. Smile

posted Hide Post
Thank you to everyone, especially to H&K for all of your help! I was able to get everything installed and operating properly. I can now use my service disc once again!