SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ikea kitchen cabinets
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ikea kitchen cabinets Login/Join 
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted
Anyone here have Ikea kitchen cabinets?

What are your thoughts on them?

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4202 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I am in the market for cabinets too. I toured the IKEA place near PDX and was not real impressed. I think cabinets from Home Depot or locally to me, Jerry's, are better quality and better designs. There are a few local cabinet shops worth considering.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6320 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I put them in a condo I own and thought they were great for the money.

They are all particle board but the laminate on them is pretty sturdy, I love the drawer and door closers that prevent slamming.

As with all things IKEA, you have to assemble them from a flat pack, so if that’s not your thing then you may not like them.

Overall I was happy with them and would use them again.

Posts: 33853 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I hate IKEA but I did my entire kitchen with IKEA products and I’m pleased. I got cabinets, sink, faucet, countertops and appliances for under 10k. I paid extra to have IKEA measure and install and I’m glad I did. Their installers did a great job and the cabinets have a 20 year warranty, appliances 5 year. It just wasn’t worth spending 50 k on a kitchen remodel for my house, it wouldn’t have added enough value to my home value to ever get it back when I sell it. I looked at Lowe’s and Home Depot cabinets and thought that Ikea was the best value. I would definitely use them again and probably will.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
My brother used them in a house he was flipping in FL. Good deal even better with another 15% off because they were offering a discount during a post-hurricane period.

There is definitely a learning curve assembling them compared with just hanging a standard cabinet, but once he figured it out preferred them to conventional cabinets - especially working alone.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3456 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Our house has an entirely IKEA kitchen (except I think the sink is Kohler), including appliances. We didn't put it in, so no idea of the price, but it's a nice kitchen.

The cabinets hold up quite well; I think the kitchen is 6 years old and there have been two tenants in before us. In fact, you could barely tell they aren't brand new.

If I have one minor qualm, it's the lazy Susan. It's only connected at the top, so it goes off kilter very, very easily when you put any load of cans, etc. on it.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
I tried to go to Ikea once. They had a sign on the door telling me that they did not want my business.

No guns = no money.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15487 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I've done 3 Ikea kitchens for clients. Really not too bad for what it is, you can also get stone or synthetic counter through them. If you assemble them yoursself you can save, but if you thought 1 piece of furniture from Ikea has a lot of parts...

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27018 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
This is our "forever home" but it doesn't need to be our forever kitchen. It needs to withstand little kids and make it at least 15 years or so.

Do you think the Ikea stuff is hardy enough to stand up to toddlers and such?

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4202 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
If it fits your style, they should have some high gloss cabinets (at least ours are); super easy cleanup and they feel quite ding resistant, although I've never tried to ding them.

Our quartz counter, also IKEA, has not a single chip in it after six years.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a General Contractor for 18 years and I can tell you that you get what you pay for. Buying cheap cabinets would be an expensive mistake.

Posts: 52 | Location: Tucson, Arizona  | Registered: August 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I've done 3 Ikea kitchens for clients. Really not too bad for what it is, you can also get stone or synthetic counter through them. If you assemble them yoursself you can save, but if you thought 1 piece of furniture from Ikea has a lot of parts...

I bought a whole kitchen worth of IKEA kitchen cabinets and spent an entire day unpacking and assembling them.

Posts: 33853 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Platored:
I was a General Contractor for 18 years and I can tell you that you get what you pay for. Buying cheap cabinets would be an expensive mistake.

Maybe with others but these have a 20 year warranty and I don’t see Ikea going out of business. Even my cheap particle board contractor grade cabinets that were in my house when it was built lasted 32 years before they fell apart.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Have you thought about just replacing the doors, if everything else is ok. Large selection of doors on line. New doors, hinges and pulls can really make a difference and save a lot of money. Our Yorketowne cabinets are 30 years old. Just installed new pulls and hinges in stainless steel to match new appliances. Still look great.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I am going to re-do my kitchen starting next year and I went t the IKEA in Phoenix to look at the selection

came away less than impressed

mostly very plain looking cabinets, little variation except for hardware - no real 'texture' or 'warmth'

I will look at a local custom cabinet shop and will be doing my kitchen in sections rather than all at once so I can absorb the cost better (pay more in cash, little financing)

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53218 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I think they are a good compromise between custom cabinets and the low end boxes from Home Depot. Ive installed 3 Ikea kitchens and I find they finish well. You can get good hardware and they have a decent program that helps you pick and choose which cabinets you need based on your footprint.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9697 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have done 2 IKEA kitchens and both have held up fairly well. They are good value for what you you pay for them but they won't compare to custom hardwood in quality or price. They have many sizes of door and drawer fronts that can be replaced later as a series (ex. gloss white for raised wood panel finishes.) The cabinet boxes can be modified if you are a little adventurous. The biggest "complaint" that I got was from a homeowner that had full width drawer pulls that cracked the hard finish on the drawers. It turned out that the kids sat on the counter and used the drawer pulls as footrests which they weren't sturdy enough to support.

--------------------------------------------
You can't have no idea how little I care.

Posts: 344 | Registered: December 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:
This is our "forever home" but it doesn't need to be our forever kitchen. It needs to withstand little kids and make it at least 15 years or so.

Do you think the Ikea stuff is hardy enough to stand up to toddlers and such?

The ones I saw No, they were cheap particle board with thermafilm over them.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
I think they are a good compromise between custom cabinets and the low end boxes from Home Depot. Ive installed 3 Ikea kitchens and I find they finish well. You can get good hardware and they have a decent program that helps you pick and choose which cabinets you need based on your footprint.

This.

They aren't going to compete with custom kitchen cabinets, but little will. The last kitchen I did had $30,000 in cabinets. Was it wonderful? Surely. Necessary?... perhaps.

You can do worse than Ikea.

Kids that stand on drawers, and other outright abuse, the $30,000 cabinets aren't going to take that much better.

I'd put them in my own home, but I've done too many high end jobs, and so I'll spend the money for that. Unless I can't afford it at the time, then I'd be content with Ikea. People like it, and it hasn't generated warranty calls.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27018 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post