SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Turnips – an under appreciated vegetable
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turnips – an under appreciated vegetable Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Good pot of turnip greens with cubed turnips in it is pretty damn good over a hunk of cornbread.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another long-time turnip greens fan here. Properly seasoned with bacon/ bacon grease, maybe a few diced raw onions and/or a bit of pepper vinegar and served with unsweetened cornbread. Collard greens are a close second. Not a big fan of mustard greens but had them a lot growing up as you ate what was put on the table if you wanted to eat.

Posts: 153 | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I like rutabagas, used to grow them, easy. I would boil them, then some butter & seasoning.

Posts: 6289 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
We can’t find Turnips it’s almost always rutabagas which are in the same family but taste different. My mother still makes them Thanksgiving and Christmas. My wife and daughter love them, I will not touch them.

Posts: 3009 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
<snip>
My MIL is big on rutabagas which are in the turnip family I think.

See my post, three above yours, which stated: [rutabagas are a] hybrid between a turnip and a wild cabbage.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9288 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
No.
Parsnips are ok, but I remember sitting at the family during mealtime prep with male relatives putting their whole body into cutting up rutebegas.
<snip>

A good fresh turnip or rutebega is a firm vegetable, and it can be tough to cut (especially if they’ve large) unless you use the right technique. Here’s mine…

I set the whole turnip flat on my cutting board and use a wooden mallet to drive my knife straight down through its center, producing two semicircular haves. Then I set each half on its cut surface and use the wooden mallet to drive my knife straight down, to make half inch slices. The slices can then easily be cut into cubes. All quite easy, and quite safe.

I use a Nakiri knife. “Nakiri” means “vegetable cutter” in Japanese (I’ve been told). It looks like a chef’s knife with 2” of its point cut off. Other differences: its cutting edge is straight, rather than convex. And its blade is thinner than a chef’s knife. Its VG10 edge is very sharp.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9288 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same with kohlrabi

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55014 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post