SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Well. I guess I've made a bonafide career out of offending people at this point.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Well. I guess I've made a bonafide career out of offending people at this point. Login/Join 
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
quote:
To be a real asshole, you have to move into the Dick phase.

And if an asshole meets a dick, things can escalate real fast.

This got me laughing!!!!
Arc - unless you "intentionally" hurt people, you're not an asshole. I've been here long enough to sorta understand where you're coming from. Do I always agree? Nope! Do you always agree with me? Nope! Don't let the snowflakes get you down!!!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Report This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Well, as long as you're good at it... Big Grin

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Report This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Arc, I never get offended reading your stuff. I read just about all of it. Keep it up. You are the real deal.

Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I think it's usually worth the effort to try not to be an asshole.

Sometimes it's warranted.

Posts: 3663 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Report This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
Are you seriously having your period?

quote:
Originally posted by odin: [QUOTE]To be a real asshole, you have to move into the Dick phase. And if an asshole meets a dick, things can escalate real fast.

quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
So, are you flipping SIGforum "The Bird", again? Eek

Naw. Something has really shifted in the world, and I'm already tired of the way people behave now. As if being offended is a meaningful state. I don't know what the antidote is, but I'm not putting up with it. meanwhile, I'm not going out of my way to be a jerk either.

People have things so luxurious, they _decide_ what to be upset about, and because they're upset or offended, we should care or do something? No. The idea that being offended is some kind of real injury is toxic. I think waaaaaay too many people believe they get it their way all the time, and are entitled to go through life without every getting their dinghy rocked.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Report This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Especially on the internet, the difference between being viewed as opinionated or as an asshole is Pretty thin and usually comes down to if someone agrees our disagrees with you.

Not really knowing you, you come across as someone who has an opinion on just about everything and will publicly take a stance. When challenged you will defend your stance vigorously. You also seen to hate political correctness and will not suffer fools. Does that make you an asshole? It depends on if I am agreeing or disagreeing with you.

I don't think you are an asshole. I appreciate your posts about home repairs and I agree with most of your posted points of view. We don't spend enough time together here for you to grate on me but I can see where knowing you in the real world could become tiring.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3853 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Arc, if I met you tomorrow, I think we would be instant friends. Your thoughts are true and resemble many of mine. I'm in the laborer class and believe it's getting harder and harder to have people respect You (ME) for what we do.

Func 'em, wait till they cant find a laborer to do what they need!!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Report This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
Are you seriously having your period?

quote:
Originally posted by odin: [QUOTE]To be a real asshole, you have to move into the Dick phase. And if an asshole meets a dick, things can escalate real fast.

quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
So, are you flipping SIGforum "The Bird", again? Eek

Naw. Something has really shifted in the world, and I'm already tired of the way people behave now. As if being offended is a meaningful state. I don't know what the antidote is, but I'm not putting up with it. meanwhile, I'm not going out of my way to be a jerk either.

People have things so luxurious, they _decide_ what to be upset about, and because they're upset or offended, we should care or do something? No. The idea that being offended is some kind of real injury is toxic. I think waaaaaay too many people believe they get it their way all the time, and are entitled to go through life without every getting their dinghy rocked.

Arc, things are about to change. Mark my words. We love you man.

posted Hide Post
Well here is a song for you:

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Hmm. This is an interesting thread.

I'm the only one in this family (the one I married into) that speaks his mind. The rest bite their tongue, go home and kick their dog.

So, hell, I think you are just fine the way you are. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5046 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Report This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I've had few direct encounters with you. On all but maybe one, it's been positive or neutral (i.e., aimed at another party). You've helped me on a number of questions I've had, both on welding, dietary pursuits, and other things.

I'm unsure if we'd be friends if we were face to face. I'm not sure that's the point, really. In my profession it's important to be pleasant (or at least professionally attentive), so that carries over into the way I behave everywhere, including online. I'm never really going to be offensively blunt unless pushed hard, which apparently doesn't happen often...

You have a function here that you carry out efficiently, and I've broadened my knowledge and experiences as a result of having "met" you. Works for me,and if it ever doesn't, I have the power to walk away, just like every other member here (or, alternatively, get the ban hammer).

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Report This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You are the only one I have on ignore. Wink

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Report This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Any interaction I have ever had was positive. I'm not going to complain.

Posts: 4021 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Report This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmmmm. I appreciate directness... I have an identifying characteristic of being “ brutally honest” People sometimes think I’m a dick, don’t care. I have a heart of gold but I’ll bark consistently if I feel there is a reason. Offensive..... I don’t care, buck up and grow some balls. I do my best to practice what I preach.
I like your posts! Hell, I would probably have you as a friend. I say speak what you have on your mind,be straightforward but not purposely cruel. I hate cats..

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Report This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Hmm. My day isn't defined by what someone writes on an Internet forum. I don't live and breathe based on SigForum or any other place where faceless people gather.

My life got immeasurably better the day I realized it was none of my Goddamn business what other people think of me.

I enjoy SigForum. I rarely post about guns anymore, since my collection is mostly stable and I'm resisting the urge to acquire more. So, I enjoy reading some of the very interesting topics folks bring up. The topics I start quickly die to lack of interest. I'm okay with that.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Report This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
I've seen you incredibly sad and I've seen you incredibly happy. I've broken bread with you a few times. I've seen you be an asshole and incredibly caring. Are you an asshole? No. Can you be an asshole? Yes. So can I. You are frank and speak with candor. You defend your position and your friends. You speak from a position of authority and expertise. I've opened my home to you and would do so again. I consider you a friend, not just a forum friend. Call or text if you need to vent.

Addtionally, I completely agree with your position on people being offended and we are too politically correct. We cannot make changes if we will not even hear each other out. Especially, differing opinons. THAT is how we learn and grow. People need to "man up".

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I can’t think of anyone that I agree on everything and you’re no exception. I’m frankly fed up with the trend in society where everyone looks for differences and then hates the “other side.” Life is more enjoyable when we find areas of common ground and are respectful of most (intentionally used most) differences.

I’ve never met you and never e-mailed you so our only interaction is on here. In other words, I only know what you chose to reveal about yourself on here and you only know what I chose to reveal about myself on here. Impressions:
  • You’re direct. I prefer that and generally don’t get along with people who aren’t.
  • You’re not mean spirited with your directness.
  • You’re frustrated by living in a liberal cesspool. I’ve never figured out why you stay as there are several conservative cities/towns with old homes in need of someone with your skills.
  • We have a metric shit ton of things in common. The 2 most obvious being enjoying shooting and being strong 2A proponents.
  • I don’t get the impression you go to the meme thread to smile or laugh. Hope I’m wrong as it is good for the soul.
  • Our only major area of disagreement is in the area of faith. Your formal exposure to Christianity seems to have ended before you were a teen and it indoctrinated you against Christianity. It’s a fairly common occurrence with people who were compelled to go to church by parents and/or had a negative experience. It can and does leave a long-lasting negative impression. Perhaps I’m reading too much into your post history as well as assuming my agnostic days (I considered myself agnostic from teens until I was 25) are similar to your experiences. My agnostic days started with the awesome pastor being promoted and his replacement was a mouthy asshole who made comments to my Mom and other friend’s Moms at church such as “you look like you’ve put on some weight.” I only mention this because it doesn’t have to be a lifelong negative impression, and I’ve found a lot of joy via my faith.

Big Grin BTW, I think some of the guys in this thread have a man-crush on you. Big Grin

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23288 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
    is circumspective
    Picture of vinnybass
    posted Hide Post
    I've got nothing to rip you on...I'm not ruffled by brusqueness rooted in truth. As such, I haven't seen much from you that makes your manner much different from my own. In my case, the delayed effect of typing on the internet affords me the opportunity to read what I'm about to say & consider how it may be received. In person though, I'm prone to off-the-cuff responses.

As someone who's stepped on toes many times by saying what I mean & what I think, I can relate. In my world some things demand to be stated. Anyone who knows me personally knows they're getting it unvarnished. Whether that makes me an asshole is in the eye of the beholder.

I've also stepped on my dick more times than I care to admit by saying something that might have been better left unsaid.

As the years roll on I hope I've gotten better at recognizing the difference.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5483 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Report This Post
    Something wild
    is loose
    Picture of Doc H.
    posted Hide Post
    I hired a guy in my office, specifically to tell me when I was about to screw up. He had the Papal ring. Everyone else would kiss my ass, and George would say "That's the worst idea I ever heard. Are you out of your fucking mind?" Then he'd tell me why. I miss George, a lot. We need more of him.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Report This Post
    Certified All Positions
    Picture of arcwelder
    posted Hide Post
    I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet:

quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
  • Our only major area of disagreement is in the area of faith. Your formal exposure to Christianity seems to have ended before you were a teen and it indoctrinated you against Christianity. It’s a fairly common occurrence with people who were compelled to go to church by parents and/or had a negative experience. It can and does leave a long-lasting negative impression. Perhaps I’m reading too much into your post history as well as assuming my agnostic days (I considered myself agnostic from teens until I was 25) are similar to your experiences. My agnostic days started with the awesome pastor being promoted and his replacement was a mouthy asshole who made comments to my Mom and other friend’s Moms at church such as “you look like you’ve put on some weight.” I only mention this because it doesn’t have to be a lifelong negative impression, and I’ve found a lot of joy via my faith.

• Generally speaking, I'm good with the Jews and most Christians, except for the ones that have to foist their faith on you. Muslims? Well, once we're done killing all the fanatics maybe the rest can chill out. There are some new religions I have no time for. Namely Environmentalists, and Atheists. Not atheists, mind you. Atheists. They're worse than Evangelicals and Mormons. And the last and most insidious new religion, Tolerance. All the "woke" people and those who buy political correctness, all the "activists," and yup we'll through Antifa twats in there under the mantle of Tolerance. Generally, fuck you if you make other peoples lives your business.

Tolerance is now a rigid ideology, with a social and lingual code, and anyone who doesn't 100% fit is outcast. They seem to be taking cues from Islam. Too bad it's not tolerance that is practiced, as in "live and let live." We'd all be better for it.

The closest thing I'd entertain regarding organized religion, is Buddhism. I had a thread on that. As far as god is concerned, well, here is my take:

God doesn't exist, religion itself was made by man as man needed to rationalize the world around him. If god does exist, they're either dead, uncaring, or outright evil. Maybe they have too many people to watch masturbate now? Child sex slaves and child soldiers? Childhood cancer? Pedo priests? Gods plan? There are way too many terrible things going on, and then there is Joel Olsteen, and people like him. If God were actually paying attention, Joel would have been struck by lightning a number of times. If I'm to have religion, give me that old time religion. Now more than ever I wager there would be flaming swords and people being smited all over the place, or smote, if God were on top of it.

If I had proof that God existed and gave a shit, I'd admit I was wrong. The King James is on of my favorite books, and it's a book of allegory. Much like the assembled Aesop's Fables. People who insist it's actually the word of God should follow all the rules in it then, and not just the ones they like. The intellectually dishonest gymnastics it takes to get around that, destroy the credibility of the faithful. In much the same way the left can't admit Abortion is Murder.

I do think there is something out there, but the established religions for the most part have shown themselves to be as credible as worshiping Zeus, Odin, or any number of old gods we have no use for. The idea that there are different sects of Muslims who can't agree, would be ridiculous if it wasn't the story of many other religions as well.

While I do think that religion is a charming old hobby like bowling or fishing, there is no reason people who wish to shouldn't be able to practice it. I don't think the State should be used to attack it. Which is what the Left has been busy doing. It seems though this is long term backlash over the rise of "social conservatives" and all the BS around who can be gay and where and when they can be gay among other things. If you use law and government to try to control peoples personal lives, other people can too. Meanwhile, no one should do that. The government is for water, power, roads, national defense, and few other things. Powers surrendered to the government are seldom reclaimed from it.

I don't need to be "happy" all the time, I think that is part of the problem with people today. Someone told them they were entitled to be happy, and never offended. No, if you're happy all the time, how do you know? I just require the minimum of bullshit, and begin to tire if the fuckery goes on too long and too thick. Having to constantly hear limp dicked soyboys who sit at computers all day talk about "resistance" and "revolution" is just one of the many ridiculous things going on in the world. These wastoids and millions like them and their shallow praise of "brave" people like Greta Whateverfuck... it's already beyond inane.

So as time ticks towards 2020, I'll just wait quietly for either A: Trump to win again and the left to go nuts, resulting possibly in some form of violence..(I believe Trump will win in 2020 for a variety of reasons.) Or B: Some leftist shitsack is elected, and they follow through on their gun control, only to find out exactly how many Patriots there are across this country.

As an asside, if your beliefs require the disarming of other people, but you need other people to disarm those other people, you should either not be in politics or experience your own Storming of the Bastille.

Arc.
    "You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Report This Post