SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car Guys: Interior Cleaning Products?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car Guys: Interior Cleaning Products? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Is there something better than ArmorAll for cleaning interiors?

Not a fan of the slick coating AA leaves.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15521 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like to use the Interior Detailer from Adam’s product line. They are all about cleaning cars.

Posts: 26 | Location: DFW | Registered: September 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lexol has a cleaner and a conditioner. I just tried it a few weeks ago for the first time. At first it didn’t seem like it was cleaning much but after a few minutes of scrubbing and rinsing, it did a nice job.

Posts: 1175 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
My first go to for car cleaning products is Chemical Guys, maybe not "the best," but I have mostly found them acceptable. Vendor advertising claims always seem somewhat better than reality.

What interior component/material are we talking about here? Vinyl, leather, dashboard, carpet, mats? One product is unlikely to apply to all.

Posts: 6789 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
My first go to for car cleaning products is Chemical Guys, maybe not "the best," but I have mostly found them acceptable. Vendor advertising claims always seem somewhat better than reality.

What interior component/material are we talking about here? Vinyl, leather, dashboard, carpet, mats? One product is unlikely to apply to all.

Dash mostly, on the Vette. Dash and door trim probably vinyl. Seats may be leather. I have a leather cleaner/protectant that I used on my motorcycle seat that works good, mostly looking for the vinyl cleaner.

Posts: 15521 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Welcome to old age - Armor All is probably at the very bottom of list that anyone in detailing currently would ever use or recommend for anyone but their worst enemy. It's ok - I remember when it was the "bomb diggity" too. Cool, man.

As noted above, there are lots of more specialized and better options on market today. Get something from reputable company specific to surface. Different for dash, seats (cleaning or conditioning?) tires, black exterior trim, etc. You don't have to invest a fortune, kept from freezing up there these products can last years on shelf.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12706 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Meguiar's Interior Detailer for most general purpose cleaning. It gets things clean, is gentle enough to be used on any interior surface (including electronic screens and gauges), and does not leave a greasy, shiny, dust-trapping mess. I also like Lexol products for leather seats and trim, then use more specialized products as needed for stubborn things.

One of my favorite specialized products is Meguiar's Super Degreaser which is sold in a concentrate that you dilute to suit your needs. Do not confuse this with the consumer grade products you buy at Auto Zone or Wal Mart - it is a legitimate industrial chemical that performs as such (and should be used according to the instructions). It's great for cars, and also for tons of other things around the house and shop.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Chemical Guys Detail Cleaner is a great no-residue cleaner and if you want a low luster sheen much much better than AA then use Aerospace 303.

Posts: 23226 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I use:
Griot's Garage 11105 Interior Cleaner on plastics including floor mats.
Lexol/Scrub Ninja Mitt on leather upholstery and seats.
Windex on Glass, probably something better but it works for me.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
For glass, I've been using Invisible Glass. My interior tint installer recommended it. I like Chemical Guys for the interior detailer.

Posts: 4099 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jbb45:
I like to use the Interior Detailer from Adam’s product line. They are all about cleaning cars.

This is the answer. I buy the Eucalyptus by the gallon
https://adamspolishes.com/prod...riant=31710734483553

Having 3 boys all young I found that sunscreen lotion and dried milk are the absolute worst to try to get off of leather, plastic, and vinyl. Hard textured plastics especially.
I have tried tons of products and the Adams cuts through those and everything else with ease and smell great.
Does not leave a wet glossy look nor is it filmy or sticky.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25701 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer. It's the only thing I'll use.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8887 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
a tablespoon of dawn in a qt of water using a good microfiber cloth works well for light work. A bottle of 70% alcohol comes in handy too. In the past I've used Stoner products, and still buy the cans of tire shine, but now I use Meguire's vinyl dressing matte shine.

Posts: 4828 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Does not leave a wet glossy look nor is it filmy or sticky.

Sounds good, but the only thing I dislike more than a slick, goopy surface is phony "scents". Does it come in an unscented version?

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Not that I am aware.
Though the Eucalyptus does not smell phony, fake, or chemically.
It’s a light sent that lasts a day or so.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25701 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll look into that.

posted Hide Post
https://detailgeekautocare.com/

This guy has a YouTube channel on same name. https://m.youtube.com/c/thedetailgeek
The absolutely filthy cars he gets looking like new are amazing videos to watch. He alleges he uses his own line of products. He also has a handheld steam carpet cleaner and a cordless drill with a soft pad attachment he uses for bad stains he treats and scrubs before steaming.

Best of luck

Posts: 4972 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
If it's just a wipe down cleaning, here's an AIO I've found to be the best of the best. It beats anything Adams or Chemical Guys have. You can pick it up in Walmart:

https://www.meguiars.com/autom...-g16216-152-oz-spray

This also works equally well, but you can't get it at Walmart:

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiar...t/dp/B0000AY4YJ?th=1

Any serious Detailer will agree with your take on Armorall and related vinyl and tire products, they're pure shit. Grease attracts every particle of dirt. When I started detailing as a hobby I jettisoned that shit early on.

Another outstanding product I'll use if I'm out of the other two is this. I use it all the time:

https://www.amazon.com/303-Vin...U38A?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Any of these three will work great for you dash and other rubber and vinyl car parts interior or exterior.

If it's dirty, clean it first. If the vinyl is nice, ie, not trashed, cracked, etc., use a non-reactant surficant to clean vinyl dash surfaces, bypassing any and all chemical or drying out damage:

https://www.amazon.com/303-302...urpose/dp/B00JAMYDFC

The above is a spray bottle, but you can buy the 303 Cleaner by the Gallon saving money.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ive been using the chemical guys wipes. they work much better than expected

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6301 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I was using 303 but have recently just switched to a leather cleaning wipe. I use it on the dash, seats, door panels.

For my tinted windows, I am using Invisible Glass wipes.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8169 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post