SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ¿ Mixing S and T speed-rated tires ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

¿ Mixing S and T speed-rated tires ? Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
... we would not sell any tire with a speed or weight rating less than was factory installed,
The 108 weight rating is identical; I believe their data was faulty on speed rating because when the owner rattled off the number, I confirmed it but said it was "T". He seemed surprised. That is almost all they do. The date code turned inside? There is a yellow stripe along one side of the tread. Not sure how they messed that, but you have 18-23 year olds doing grunt work on the coldest windiest day of the year, mistakes happen. At least the tires were fresh from the warehouse; I had the install done 30 minutes after they arrived; they were not sitting out frozen.

Motoring through White Sands it is easy to purr up to 120mph before realizing you are speeding. I'll replace the rears with T when the time comes, and then the fronts in two years or so. And not in the winter.

I may have the rear rims looked at. Shaved or balanced or whatever they do. We'll see. $$$

IMO the owner or someone at the tire store should have paid some attention to detail in your situation. People get lackadaisical when they do the same thing day in and out, just went through with that over tires myself. Balance problem, installer tried to blame everything out of the gate except for the possibility that it was a bad balance job which is what it turned out to be.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
How does one rotate tires if the best tires always go on the back? I’d never be able to rotate the tires on my two front wheel drive vehicles if I followed that plan.

Easy, just do some burnouts, shave the tread down a bit until tread height is the same then rotate safely Razz

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
where is this White Sands area in the Mid Atlantic you speak of where you’re zipping along at a buck twenty?
Also, what kind of car do you have??

Truck. Regular Cab Standard Box. L20 & 4L60E. Curb weight 4643 lbs. 302 hp. 305 lb.-ft. torque.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speaks Bendablese
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

Let's take an example: Let's say we aren't concerned about hydroplaning. I have two pairs of tires, one that can do the slalom at 0.8g, the other that can do the slalom at 0.85g. Let's say I don't drive aggressively that pushes the g limit of a tire - in other words, there is very little concern I will swing out the backend. If I have a FWD car, why wouldn't I put the 0.85g tires up front, even if they are older? I should expect incrementally better braking and also steering. And still no risk of swinging out the backend.

I'm trying to understand why this rule is absolute and seems to be assuming scenarios that aren't in play.

It's all about yaw instability. Driven wheels aren't in play because the frictional force generated by the tires is resisting rotation about the center of gravity that was induced by the steer angle.

The tires have to generate resisting force (traction) to overcome the lateral forces from cornering. There is always some imbalance of lateral force at the tire from front axle to rear. The most predictable or neutral handling trait comes from a near-linear yaw rate relative to lateral force - vehicle rotation is minimal with increasing cornering force. Reversing that relationship results in a spin, sometimes unpredictable, which is yaw instability.

Will better tires on the front axle improve braking? Yes, of course.
Will better tires improve steering? No, because steering the car requires stability.

Posts: 286 | Location: MD | Registered: September 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post