SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Things you do in memory of lost ones
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Things you do in memory of lost ones Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
and of course in my nightly prayers

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54713 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Best friend I'll ever have died in 2008. I routinely go by his grave site, clean the stone with soap and water, and generally clean the area up. I talk to him and he is in my prayers.
Same for the only family member who was kind to me, my grandfather. He was in the AAF and served in Iwo Jima as an aircraft mechanic. I try to do the same for him.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12661 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Drink.

Posts: 11508 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My parents died together when I was young. Along with other factors, drinking and driving don't mix.
For years, I didn't drink at all. My dad was a "Jack of all trades" kind of man. I struggled in school, but due to my dad diligently trying his best to teach me, I have given my all to do better.
Even now, long past school years, still trying to learn something new every day. This has paid off with getting decent jobs.

He struggled to to do the right thing, but taught his sons to do their best. I can proudly say my parents would be very proud of how my brothers grew into very good men doing the same with their children.

Back in late 80's, my aunt adopted a baby, my youngest cousin. My great-grandmother, great-uncle, uncle, and grandmother loved the child as their own family. They all had health issues and died while my cousin was young. When my cousin was married, we gave her a gift that I knew could possibly be passed down to her grandchildren in honor of the four elder that passed on many years ago. It was almost as if they were present at the wedding.

I don't do any specific rituals other than incorporating the positives that each loved one has shown or taught me into my daily life.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1519 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
My grandfather died Dec of 1990, father Feb 2012. I try to live a life that they would be proud of, with mixed results I’m sure. Neither were perfect nor claimed to be but they were men. You know, the kind of men that people say, “That guy was a real man.” I tell people about their service. Grandfather was a WW2 Marine that was in the thick of the island hopping battles in the Pacific. Father was an MP in Korea in the mid/late 60s. They worked with their hands and provided for their families. Compassionate and caring for friends, family and often strangers in need. Neither were afraid to give love and friendship but also had the capability to be a hard nosed bad ass when needed. Their memories live on as long as we never stop loving them. That’s how I choose to memorialize them.

Posts: 13747 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post