SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Two eject from Mig-23 before crash at Michigan air show
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two eject from Mig-23 before crash at Michigan air show Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

It seems to me that the backseater pulled the handle too soon...

I too was thinking that way until I saw the latest video from Juan Brown. The back seater was a former military pilot/current airline pilot in training to fly the MiG 23.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP8M3WRj7F8

In the video, Juan says they ejected at 300 - three hundred - feet, later on the manual shows a minimum recommended ejection altitude of 6500 feet. There's much more detail in the 18-minute video.

We've got some experienced pilots here who can watch the video and comment.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
That video does a good job explaining it, including why the rear seat guy did it.
They were way below when they should have ejected and somewhat lucky things worked out. Including that no one on the ground was hurt, that was just pure luck.

Posts: 9530 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
The crew wasn't able to protect people on the ground, regardless of whether they were still in the plane.

Posts: 2785 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post