SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Top.Men, In Action. With USSOCOM. Domestically.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top.Men, In Action. With USSOCOM. Domestically. Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
quote:
FOXNEWS.com:

FBI handcuffs, interrogates innocent Delta Air Lines pilot in botched Boston training exercise

A Delta Air Lines pilot was sleeping in the targeted room where the botched training exercise took place

By Louis Casiano | Fox News

Published April 5, 2023

The FBI and other federal agents burst into the wrong Boston hotel room Tuesday night during a training exercise, startling the guest inside who had no idea what was going on as he was handcuffed.

The incident occurred on the 15th floor of the Revere Hotel as agents were conducting a mock investigation. FBI agents were assisting the U.S. Department of Defense in a training exercise inside the hotel to simulate a situation that DOD personnel might encounter in a deployed environment.

"Based on inaccurate information, they were mistakenly sent to the wrong room and detained an individual, not the intended role player," the FBI said in a statement.

The agents targeted room 1505, where a Delta Air Lines pilot was sleeping inside and opened the door, WBZ-TV reported.

When agents went in, they handcuffed the man, who is in his 30s, before interrogating him and putting him in the shower, the news report said.

They eventually realized the mistake and apologized.

"First and foremost, we’d like to extend our deepest apologies to the individual who was affected by the training exercise," Lt. Col. Mike Burns of the United States Special Operations Command told Fox News Digital in a statement. "The training team, unfortunately, entered the wrong room and detained an individual unaffiliated with the exercise."

Hotel security was alerted to the incident and called the Boston Police Department.

"We are looking into reports of an alleged incident in Boston that may involve Delta people," the airline told Fox News Digital in a statement. "We have nothing further to share at this time other than to reaffirm our commitment to ensuring the safety and well-being of our people."

Fox News Digital has reached out to the hotel.

"Safety is always a priority of the FBI, and our law enforcement partners, and we take these incidents very seriously," the FBI said. "The Boston Division is reviewing the incident with DOD for further action as deemed appropriate."

I confess I am deeply troubled by USSOCOM assets being deployed in support of domestic federal law enforcement. If USSOCOM wants to train to take down hotels, build a simulated facility on a military installation.

Does everything our Top.Men touch become contaminated?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31444 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I have a feeling that pilot is about to get PAID.

Posts: 13116 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to retirement.

Posts: 958 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What happened to the Posse Comitatus Act that bars federal troops from participating in civilian law enforcement except when expressly authorized by the law?

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
FBI agents were assisting the U.S. Department of Defense in a training exercise inside the hotel to simulate a situation that DOD personnel might encounter in a deployed environment.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Use a real hotel, in a real city, with real people staying in the hotel, what could go wrong?

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
I confess I am deeply troubled by USSOCOM assets being deployed in support of domestic federal law enforcement.

That's not what was going on at all.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6086 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
What happened to the Posse Comitatus Act that bars federal troops from participating in civilian law enforcement except when expressly authorized by the law?

They weren't participating in any law enforcement activities. They were training.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6086 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Apologies come with six zeros and heads on platters.
This pilot is traumatized now and the FAA will take his medical certificate.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39756 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Top Tier 1 Teams, Fed Agencies, SWAT Teams, ect.... constantly train on domestic targets and environments.

Airliner down for Maintenace - they park it and let teams access for training. Cruise ship on a refit/update cruise - again teams use for training.

Usually, no harm/no foul. I'm sure this pilot will get "compensated" in some manner by the hotel, the govt, and likely his company.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 863 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
"Practice like you play, play like you practice."

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Apologies come with six zeros and heads on platters.
This pilot is traumatized now and the FAA will take his medical certificate.

If true about the pilot and the FAA does that, then 7 figures for actual loss of wages over the pilot’s lifetime, plus punitive damages.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they had live rounds in their weapons?
That along with an armed hotel room occupant could have made things lively for nearby guests.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
WTEF has happened to competency in this country. There’s no accountability and no consequences for major fuck ups. This is what comes of it.

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
WTEF has happened to competency in this country. There’s no accountability and no consequences for major fuck ups. This is what comes of it.
The compensation to the pilot that several have posted about certainly won't come from the fuck ups, but instead will come from taxpayers.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
What’s up with putting him in the shower? Is that part of their training?

Top men indeed…

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
When agents went in, they handcuffed the man, who is in his 30s, before interrogating him and putting him in the shower

... the shower?

Were they practicing "enhanced interrogation techniques"?

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oregon:
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:

They weren't participating in any law enforcement activities. They were training.

Perhaps I am one of those who want to see the laws of the land obeyed.

The top.men led the training. That makes it law enforcement training, a form of law enforcement activity. As students, the DOD people were under top.men control, domestically.

The PCA states: "“Whoever, except in cases and under circumstances expressly authorized by the Constitution or Act of Congress, willfully uses any part of the Army or the Air Force as a posse comitatus or otherwise to execute the laws shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.”

I'm sorry but top.men teaching DOD personnel to breech commercial hotel doors, in the middle of the night, in downtown Boston... well if that is not over the line, is standing on it.

Now the converse is also true. If the DOD folks were the trainers of the top.men and they were training on how DOD takes down small structures or 2-room suites, on a training range on a military base, that has no over tones of PCA.

Its not like our Tier One units lack training facilities (e.g., they train at Fort Bragg, Coronado, and Dam Neck).

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31444 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Putting a suspect in a shower is routine. It’s a confined area that restricts their movement and doesn’t have any place for a weapon or contraband to be concealed.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Might be routine where you're at, or routine for the feds, but I've been on the job for almost 2 decades and I've never put anyone in a shower. Big Grin

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post