SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dive bombing/dog fighting humming birds...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dive bombing/dog fighting humming birds... Login/Join 
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted
They have been going nuts the last few days @UncleTom’sCabin!

I wish I was fast enough to get some video...

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3127 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
They're a hoot to watch, aren't they?

My crop is a little light this year, I usually have 15-20 hanging around. Maybe 4-5 this year for some reason.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15528 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen any hummingbirds lately but there has been a Brown Thrasher and a Mockingbird after my cat every time she goes outside. The Mockingbird gets hostile even if the cat is inside looking out the window.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I have a feeder in my front yard and one in my backyard. Those nectar battles get pretty heated, and I have to duck every now and then during their dog fighting.

I live in the Canyon Lake, Texas area, and so far, I've only seen our resident black-chinned. I've only been here a short time, and where I moved from, our black-chinned get run out by the rufous on their way back south. We'll see what happen here in the next couple of months.

OT: I used to only have house finches, grackles, house sparrows, Say's phoebes, curve-billed thrashers, brown-headed cowbirds, white-winged doves, Eurasion collared doves, mourning doves, Inca doves and starlings, but since I've moved, I now get painted buntings, northern cardinals, black-crested titmouse, Bewick's wrens, Carolina chickadees, Eastern phoebes, ash-throated flycatchers, golden-fronted woodpeckers, ladder woodpeckers, Woodhouse's scrub-jays, blue jays, mourning doves, white-winged doves, Inca doves, house finches and brown-headed cowbirds.

So far, I'm amazed to not have seen any house sparrows. A couple of strange visitors to my watering hole were a couple of black vultures. I guess they need some clean water to wash down a nice big heaping pile of carrion.

Within about a mile of my house, I've seen several other species, and most notable have been yellow-billed cuckoos. I still consider myself a wild bird/nature photographer, but I haven't taken my equipment out since I've moved here. I hope to get some good painted bunting images, but we will see since kayak fishing eats so much of my time.

Retired Texas Lawman

Posts: 1217 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was parked way up on Blind 35 looking at a map when I heard a strange buzzing. I looked up from the map and a Hummingbird was hovering right in front of my face!
He flew out the truck window before I could react.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few days ago, I was watering my potted plants & hanging baskets on my back porch (yes, even on the "wet" side of WA, we get dry summers). There was a hummingbird that flew directly in front of me and hovered. When I looked at him, he flew to the feeder on the far end of the porch, perched on it and looked at me. Then flew back to me, hovered looked at me, then back to the feeder. He did this about four times. He never fed from the feeder.....he wanted me to refill the feeder!

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MtnPlinker
posted Hide Post
We didn’t have many this year, and then our neighbor enlightened us:

* 4 parts water boiled with 1 part sugar
* change every 2 days

Now, we are in the midst of hummingbird fighter pilot-ness.

Awesome creatures.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Front Range CO | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
We have a resident hummingbird around in the springtime when the desert flowers bloom. This past spring, my 16 year old Lab, who is mostly blind and deaf, was apparently standing too close to one of the flowering plants, and the hummingbird flew right in front of him, then off to one side, then the other. This repeated 3 times, then the hummingbird flew up to a branch and chittered at my Lab, then repeated the performance. Of course, the dog was oblivious to the entire performance!

Posts: 1522 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there's a lady in Yucaipa , Ca that has 5 feeders up,
they count between 15 and 25 birds , most days.
she has to fill all five feeders every evening

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55211 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I put a feeder up for the first time this year. It's been up for about three weeks, no takers Frown.

Guess I am not in a "high traffic" area.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
It's more at my place this summer than the previous 5 years. We have 4 feeders up, they all look the same to me, so I can't really tell who is defending and who is attacking!

I have been seeing hummingbirds away from my home , when walking my dogs, not sure how much they range .

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I put out feeders a couple of months ago thinking they would be coming by on the way north.

I saw one...

Last year around Sep-Nov they found my new feeders, I guess on the way south.

That hummingbird pool party above is so cute.

HK AG

Posts: 3535 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I was parked way up on Blind 35 looking at a map when I heard a strange buzzing. I looked up from the map and a Hummingbird was hovering right in front of my face!
He flew out the truck window before I could react.

Were you wearing red?

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Jelly, that hummingbird pool party clip was great!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9477 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
We have them chasing each other and buzzing our heads too!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39874 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
We like watching the hummingbirds. We don't feed them but the wife always has flowering plants around the deck so they have plenty to keep them occupied. As far a numbers go, this year seems about average.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another reason I miss Arizona,

funniest thing I saw was ;

I had a 4 ft. dia, kiddie pool on a plastic patio table
just outside the sliding glass door with a fountain in the middle.

one day there were two hummingbirds out there ,
each was dragging there asses in the water in big circles.

they did that for 6 or so minutes.

have not seen them do that since

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55211 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post