SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help with road trip planning
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with road trip planning Login/Join 
posted
I have some time off and will be traveling from Washington to Nevada in late January. I strongly prefer not to fly and would like to know if I'm nuts for considering making the drive in a truck? I'm fine with the time and distance but unsure about what the drive would be like in the middle of winter.

I have made the drive in April just fine but that would seem to be very different weatherwise. I am currently charting it as WA thru OR and down into NV but could detour through CA if better weather would be more likely.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Don't worry about it. Make up your mind that you will enjoy every mile of the drive, and that you'll see the landscape in a different view than Summer.

Millions of people make the same sort of trips every winter, let alone the ones who have to drive for a living or business situations and are used to it. You won't be the only vehicle out.

If it gets really bad, stop and get a motel.

In addition to making sure the vehicle is ready to go (I know you will anyway), take along some extra water, food items you can eat without cooking, a few blankets and a pillow, etc.

Don't stress it, just go and enjoy the drive.

Edit to add: make sure you have paper maps. AAA, if you have a membership, has good maps free of charge. Get tour guide books for the areas you will be going through, great info for motels, etc.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OKCGene,

Posts: 11859 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
You will undoubtedly be dealing with winter mountain pass' and ice and snow covered roads and subfreezing conditions. if you know how to handle those and are prepared for a possible prolonged emergency situation than you should be good. Also your vehicle obviously needs to be up to the task.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19223 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll enjoy it far more than flying, that is for sure. I have a newish truck with good tires and can pack for the occasion. I've made some pretty "interesting" drives to the Dakotas during the early winter and late thaws pretty regularly so I at least have an idea.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Just curious: from where in WA and to where in NV?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tacoma to Las Vegas

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
Tacoma to Las Vegas
Streets & Trips plots a route that is essentially I-82 to I-84 to US-93 to US-6 to NV-310 to US-93 to I-10. (Shorter than just staying on US-93, which is 40 miles longer.)

Not many decent alternatives if you want good roads. Could stay on I-84 to Salt Lake City, UT and pick up I-15 down to I-10 and Las Vegas. It's longer--1275 vs. 1141 miles. Taking I-5 south from Tacoma to I-84 makes the trip 1184 miles. The shortest route (1130 miles) uses WA-221 to cut off a bulge in I-82, but I probably wouldn't do that.

I don't live in the area, but I suspect that those roads would be kept open.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
amtrak? We are taking amtrak to Disney instead of flying in Nov.

Posts: 915 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
If you enjoy cross-country skiing, you'll be going through many amazing spots to stop to enjoy that activity.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent years as a criminal investigator for a state agency. My home territory was nearly half the land area of Colorado. Then I became supervisory investigator with the entire state as my responsibility. I was regularly on the road about 40% of the time.

Sleeping bag, blankets, pillow, Primus stove with fuel, Carhartt coveralls, boots, water, dehydrated food, cooler (12V/ice), fishing gear, .22 revolver, couple of good books. Eventually had a Class 3 hitch installed on my state-issued car, bought a 15-foot travel trailer, portable generator, spent many days living in the national forests and pocketing the per diem allowance for lodging (paid for the camper in a few months). Knew every river, stream, and lake worth fishing in the state.

Long retired, but my 4WD truck still carries my basics for getting by if I get stranded, or just choose to hole up for a couple of days. Biggest differences now are that I don't collect per diem travel allowances, and I have to make sure to pack my daily meds (basic old guy stuff).

Have fun! Don't get in a hurry. Enjoy every day.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
We drove from PA to Utah earlier this year, albeit no winter weather. The one item that goes with us on all trips is a GPS with updated, preloaded maps. I use a Garmin. Cell phone maps are great when cell service is available. That may not be the case during portions of your trip.

There is good advice in previous threads. I spent some winter times in North Dakota. Everyone I knew carried gear similar to LoboGunLeather's list.

Enjoy the trip, I am envious.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 720 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Make sure your spare tire is aired up!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7003 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Make sure your spare tire is aired up!

Yeah played that game a few years back. Luckily it was summer in BFE Montana and just the one tire. I have a ryobi inflator that comes with us but I air em all up before anything thats not in my normal range.