SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Arkansas is Beautiful!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arkansas is Beautiful! Login/Join 
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted
I had to go to Bela Vista this weekend.

Never been to the state before.

My goodness I love Texas, but Arkansa is truly beautiful.

Might retire there instead of Brownsville, Texas.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3809 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. I grew up in Texas, and fell in love with Arkansas too. Unlike Texas, it has mountains and four seasons. Been here for over two decades now. Come on up!

Just note that Northern Arkansas is much different from Southern Arkansas. If hills and natural scenery are what you're after, stick with Northwest/Northern Arkansas rather than the flat farm/timber land and river delta plains of Southern/Southeastern Arkansas. That's more like Louisiana or Mississippi.

Also note that, while Bella Vista was specifically started as a dedicated retirement village back in the day, it is no longer that. It has become another suburb/bedroom community in the Northwest Arkansas Metroplex, with young professionals taking over as the ranks of the retired folks diminish. Still a good option for a place to retire, it's just not the same "retirement village" that it originally was and that it may still have a reputation as. So don't feel locked in to just Bella Vista as a retirement location option.

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I like to stay in the cabins at Mt. Magazine state park. Arkansas has a lot of areas I like but I prefer the northern area. The Cliff House restaurant is a nice place to stop by for lunch in the Jasper area.

Name some good spots so I csn put them on my list.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Never been to Arkansas except traveling through.
I wouldn't mind moving more the Texas coast but with the border madness - just can't do it.

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
I can remember when Bella Vista was farms and woods, population of Rogers was slightly over 5000, Bentonville a little over 3000, and Springdale around 7000. It was unspoiled by people then and I used to hunt quail in the area that is now city between Rogers and Bentonville. I grew up in the little community of Avoca just North of Rogers. Left in 1966 but my wife and my parents lived there till their deaths in the 90s. Wife still has some kin there and we go back occasionally to visit.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
And now the population of Rogers, Bentonville, and Springdale are ~12x-15x those figures, and growing further every day.

(The growth hasn't quite reached all the way out to Avoca yet, though. That's still a small town of ~500.)

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Millwood Reservoir - had some great bass fishing. Located kind of at the corner of east Texas, southwest Arkansas, and northwest Louisiana. Typically several 8-10 pound large mouth pretty much every weekend. Haven’t fished it for years but hope it’s been taken care of as a wildlife reserve.

Posts: 1988 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Arkansas is truly diverse. The terrain varies from woodlands to rice paddies to swamps.

Hunting is equally diverse. From Bear to Alligator and just about everything in between.

And we still have dry counties.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Yep. I grew up in Texas, and fell in love with Arkansas too. Unlike Texas, it has mountains and four seasons. Been here for over two decades now. Come on up!

We've driven from south to north Arkansas. You forgot one thing Rogue. Very nice people live there. The wife and I couldn't help but notice how easy it was to visit with the locals. We had a lot of fun on that drive.

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
RogueJSK, mind if I hit you up in the near future? NW Arkansas might be a possibility for us before long and I’d like to chat with someone local. Already kinda/sorta know about the area after our 4 years in Springfield, MO, but would like some first hand experience and possibly suggestions from a local.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Feel free. I don't mind helping out other members as the unofficial Northwest Arkansas retirement location scout/tourism advisor/real estate pontificator. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Usually go motorcycle riding in Eureka Springs about every year. Have ridden a lot of this great country of ours and Arkansas is my favorite place to ride.

Posts: 426 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post