SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tonight's dinner
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tonight's dinner Login/Join 
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted
Took one of our home raised chickens and cooked it on my vintage Faberware tonight. Took about 2.25 hours. Served it with manoomin and some broccoli. Turned out perfect.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
We have a FarberWare 455N, looks exactly like that except the vertical supports for the rotisserie rod are very different from yours.

I remember buying ours at Marshall Field, when we lived in the suburbs west of Chicago in the mid or late 1970s.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30541 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
manoomin

I've lived in Michigan all my life and never heard of manoomin before.
Interesting

Manoomin, also known as wild rice (Zizania palustris), is a species of grain-producing grass native to the Great Lakes area and portions of Canada. It grows in the shallow, quiet waters of inland lakes and slow-flowing streams. Once plentiful in places like northern Michigan, manoomin populations have dwindled due to habitat loss, degraded water quality, and other factors

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
That’s awesome… There’s just nothing like a fresh pasture raised bird, roasted to perfection. Well done AB!

Here is ours on the chopper …

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
We have a FarberWare 455N, looks exactly like that except the vertical supports for the rotisserie rod are very different from yours.

I remember buying ours at Marshall Field, when we lived in the suburbs west of Chicago in the mid or late 1970s.

This one was given to my father by my sister one Christmas back in the mid 60's. The rotisserie motor has an all metal case, later ones had a black plastic case. Our family always did rolled and tied prime rib for Christmas dinner on it and so I resurrected that tradition at our house about 10 years ago.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
That’s awesome… There’s just nothing like a fresh pasture raised bird, roasted to perfection. Well done AB!

Thanks. It was really tasty. Yours looks awesome as well. We raise 50 broilers every year, leave maybe a dozen whole and cut the rest up before freezing. My wife takes the backs and legs from the cut up birds and makes stock which she cans. she also pulls all the meat off the bones and cans that. That canned meat makes awesome chicken stew or soup.

Greg, we use manoomin instead of wild rice because it is really the correct name as it's not "rice". We buy it from a couple in northern MN. It's labor intensive to harvest and dry it. Well worth the price though.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
We raise 50 broilers every year, leave maybe a dozen whole and cut the rest up before freezing. My wife takes the backs and legs from the cut up birds and makes stock which she cans. she also pulls all the meat off the bones and cans that. That canned meat makes awesome chicken stew or soup.

I do 25 and do the same thing. I used to bag and freeze them all whole, but last year both freezers were running out of room (a good problem to have) and I decided to cut them up. Two wings, two legs, and two thighs per bag, vacuum sealed and frozen. Then I put the breasts in separate bags. They stack flat and take up much less room. The backs and necks get made into stock and canned.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post