SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I did what I was told would be highly improbable - broke violin string
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I did what I was told would be highly improbable - broke violin string Login/Join 
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted
I purchased a good student model violin for my son, and got him into lessons once a week.

Last week's lesson my son dropped his bow and it broke. This ended up with me spending time driving two hours round trip to the music store to buy a new bow, and a transparent tape with markings for fingerings to put on the neck of the violin.

in my attempt to install the tape I had to loosen the strings of the violin which caused the bridge to fall off (who knew it wasn't attached), and a string came off.

Well I ended up in total with two strings off, and in the attempt to re-install them I ended up with his D-string breaking. Probably had bent it the opposite way it was bent on initial installation.

So I have a new set of strings coming to the house (less expensive to buy a full set than to be a single string), and I get to try my luck at installing.

I asked at my son's first lesson if I should buy an extra set of strings and was told he would probably never need them...

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Lol! Be ready for a lot of screeching for a while.

My son started in 1st grade and we suffered a bit. But he ended up a music major on violin at college. Presently he works in a very high end violin shop for a master builder. I recall him having E string problems once in a while but never breaking any of the wound strings.

His Christmas list always included new strings of ever increasing cost. Then he started experimenting with different bows. Violin is an expensive hobby.

There are some nice carbon fiber bows at ok prices. Vastly better than the beginner plastic or wood bows. The tips don't break off when the kids bounce the bow on their foot. When your son is ready for an upgrade, look at the carbon fiber. Used is fine and may save $.

Posts: 9457 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The bridges on mandolins, archtop guitars, and banjos aren't fixed in place, either, if that ever comes up. Do get the bridge back in the same place. The feet are sanded to fit the top, and intonation will be all wrong, otherwise.

The non-wound strings would be easier to break.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lizardman_u:
I asked at my son's first lesson if I should buy an extra set of strings and was told he would probably never need them...

They likely did not expect that you'd detach strings and try to restring it

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
When restringing, back when I was playing, I always did one string at a time rather than take 'em all off, put 'em back on. I thought everybody did it this way. Removing all the strings would materially change the tension on the neck and top of the instrument, and seems logically something to be avoided. Of course there were no acoustic tuners back then, and gettign the tension near right ASAP was useful too. Thoughts?

Posts: 6479 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
When restringing, back when I was playing, I always did one string at a time rather than take 'em all off, put 'em back on. I thought everybody did it this way. Removing all the strings would materially change the tension on the neck and top of the instrument, and seems logically something to be avoided. Of course there were no acoustic tuners back then, and gettign the tension near right ASAP was useful too. Thoughts?

That is the way I do it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:

I doubt there is any problem at all taking all the strings off in terms of stresses on the neck or body. Keeping the bridge in place is a good reason to only change one string at a time.

Posts: 9457 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I loosened all the strings so I could put a fingering chart on the neck, or rather to accommodate my gorilla fingers.

In doing so the bridge fell off. I got it back close to where it was based on the bend in the strings where they crossed the bridge.

Yes, there will be some screeching, but he had some violin in grade school through the school music program so it isn't too bad.

That said I know his violin teacher can get everything ship shape if I can't Smile

I have an in-tune piano, and an ear (I can hear the discord when things are slightly out of tune) so we should be able to get the violin back in tune.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Years from now this will make for a GREAT family, laughing out loud so hard your sides hurt, story told at holiday gatherings. Wink

Hey, remember when dad broke my violin... Big Grin

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8902 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
According to my son, there is no worry of structural damage by removing all the strings. However, as you discovered, the bridge will need to be replaced in the correct location. Rarely but still possible is the sound post inside the body can fall loose. While not harmful, it takes a special tool to put it back in place, and the location has a big impact on tone.