SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Motorcycle "crash" at 343 mph
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Motorcycle "crash" at 343 mph Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
"Crash"? Anybody see a crash? It's a spill, but it ain't a crash, in my view. It it were a real crash, she would have been dead.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/20...otorcycle-crash.html

Shocking video surfaces of Valerie Thompson's 343 mph motorcycle crash

By Gary Gastelu | Fox News

Valerie Thompson was going for the motorcycle land speed record of 376 mph when it all went wrong.

Racing across the salt flats of Australia’s Lake Gairdner at the World Speed Trials on March 19, her streamlined two-wheeler tipped over at 343 mph.

Video of the accident show the fish-shaped bike flipping end over end, rolling over and sliding for more than a mile before finally coming to a rest on its side.

Amazingly, the carbon fiber monocoque of the vehicle stayed largely intact, and Thompson suffered only minor bumps and cuts.

Thompson told Fox News that it was the first time she ever crashed the bike, with which she set the women’s motorcycle land speed record of 328 mph earlier in the week.

She’s still not sure exactly what caused the spill, but will be going over the onboard data to try to figure out what happened, while her team assesses the damage to determine if they can get the bike back together for another shot at the record at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah later this year.

You’ve got to get back on that horse.

Or motorcycle.

Q

Posts: 26517 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
She must have been wearing a ridiculous amount of gear and been covered in some Clark Griswold type lubricant.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
She was in an enclosed carbon fiber cockpit.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Looks like they need a little aero work. It probably would have been bad, but the chute being deployed kept it stable. Hopefully they can get it back up an running for another run pretty quickly.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3519 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Definitely not an expert, but I guess that a little more downforce in the front wouldn't have hurt.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:...
She’s still not sure exactly what caused the spill...

Probably texting...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:

Probably texting...

"Look Ma, no hands." Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26517 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Probably texting...

I don’t care who you are, that’s funny

Archerman

Posts: 2488 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Definitely not an expert, but I guess that a little more downforce in the front wouldn't have hurt.

I'd venture that's the LAST thing they want to do. Increasing downforce exponentially increases aerodynamic drag. I'm sure there's a formula for that somewhere, but since I'm not Sheldon Cooper and I tend toward the lazy side, I'm not gonna look it up. Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
At those speeds, folks are beyond skating on ice.

And with no directional (flight) controls, you have even a smaller margin for deviation of trajectory.

A little rapid increase or decrease of forward thrust, wheel shimmy, or other input and you start looking like bad Bruce Peterson landing.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Do you suppose she manually deployed that chute, or is there some sort of automatic deployment system?

Posts: 13305 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
Looks like it may have been a little top heavy...

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6143 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by archerman:
quote:
quote:

Probably texting...

I don’t care who you are, that’s funny

Ya know that really was pretty good Razz

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 782 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Deo Fiducia Nostra
Picture of SigEd
posted Hide Post
Perhaps I’ve become jaded. Am I the only one not shocked by the “Shocking” video?

SigEd

P220ST .45ACP
P229 .40SW
P229 9mm
P239 9mm
P232SL
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 468 | Location: Franklin, TN | Registered: May 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigEd:
Perhaps I’ve become jaded. Am I the only one not shocked by the “Shocking” video?

My thoughts exactly. Evel Knievel had some shocking landings on an ACTUAL motorcycle.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1853 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Selfie?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38008 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

I'd venture that's the LAST thing they want to do. Increasing downforce exponentially increases aerodynamic drag. I'm sure there's a formula for that somewhere, but since I'm not Sheldon Cooper and I tend toward the lazy side, I'm not gonna look it up. Big Grin

Just add more power =)

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
At those speeds, folks are beyond skating on ice.

And with no directional (flight) controls, you have even a smaller margin for deviation of trajectory.

Is there a rule that says land speed records can't be broken by vehicles with (flight) control surfaces? Because, that'd be cool to have some control surfaces that could be manipulated to stabilize the motorcycle.

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that after reviewing the cockpit film, they've decided that the next version will not have a rear view mirror. Apparently application of lip gloss over 300 mph is frowned upon by the gods of physics and universal cosmetology.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
As someone with personal experience on this topic, I observe that when random parts of your motorcycle and you become separate entities intent on occupying the same space-time coordinates but with different entrance and exit vectors, it's a crash.

Some times you walk away from a no-kidding crash with surprisingly few injuries. In my case, based on training in paramedic school and from other sources like the lectures of the late John Hinds, M.D. on the kinematics of trauma associated with motorcycle crashes, my 60 mph crash into a stopped car should have ripped one or more of my aorta, pulmonary artery and vein, and vena cavas (vena cavi?) from my heart, broken my legs, neck, skull and/or spine, and left me in a pile of dead on the outer loop of the Capital Beltway. Instead, I walked out of the ER four hours later.

It's twenty years later you learn that youth is wasted on the young. Old people who crashed motorcycles when they were young are the ones who need the resiliency of youth.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post