SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone who likes to bake... or likes eating excellent cakes!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone who likes to bake... or likes eating excellent cakes! Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
Please forgive this shameless plug for a good friend and until recently, colleague, of mine.

Shani just resigned from our office (in no small part due to the same toxic management compelling me to leave my once ideal job), but instead of continuing her legal career elsewhere, she has decided to go full-time baker.

She has a limited shipping radius at present (Maryland members, take note!), but her blog is full of good stuff and for those of you that can get their hands on her cakes, I can attest to their quality.

Begin with Butter (blog)

The Gloria Bakery

Thanks.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Took baking up a few months ago, mainly simple breads and cookies thus far but I may be ready to give a couple of these a go - especially the Decadent Caramel Pound Cake - yum

Her website is very well done, layout and content is great and the beginners start here pages are bookmarked for later - wish her great success - no doubt its off to a fantastic start

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'm not a big fan of sweets like cake, and don't have a stand mixer (which seems to be a requirement for many/most baking recipes), but I've been working on some introductory baking over the past year. Mainly simple breads, rolls, pizza crusts, flatbreads, etc.

Seems daunting at first, but basic breads are pretty simple once you get into it. And way better than store-bought. (Cheaper too.)

Posts: 32549 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does she have a storefront anywhere?

Posts: 1515 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRIO:
Does she have a storefront anywhere?

Not yet. Hopefully in the future.

-Rob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BurtonRW,

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Lots of successful bakers work without storefronts, these days.

Posts: 5747 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She needs to learn how to ship FedEx!!!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
She’s working on it! And I just told her that her websites need to be optimized for mobile, which she was aware of. Upgrades to both are in the works.

To put things in perspective, the baking thing has been a passion/serious hobby for a while, but her last day in our office is next week and then she’ll be a full time baker for the first time ever.

Expansion and upscaling will be coming along in short order, I think.

-Rob

A=A