SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good automotive code reader for ~$100?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good automotive code reader for ~$100? Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
Can this be done?
I need to cover my daughter’s 08 Gran Marquis, so ‘s 02 Tahoe and my 12 F250. Plus a couple other domestics in that range.
Can that be done with one scan tool?

Posts: 6307 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
ForScan with a bluetooth OBD2 dongle could do the F150 & likely do the Grand Marquis, but probably not the Tahoe.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15344 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Are you willing to use a phone or tablet? Or do you want a dedicated unit??

OBDLink MX+ includes all the premium add on vehicle packages no need to purchase per vehicle.
It require a phone, tablet, or laptop to view/use the app.

OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone, Android, and Windows https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0...c_fabc_vxDbGbVSSCAMY

I have used it on my Tundra, Highlander, Expedition, and just now used it on my Mom’s explorer.

It does far more than just read codes. It acts as a full vehicle monitor and can access pretty much any sensor available on the vehicle.

I also have an Innova dedicated reader that I have had for many years but the new ones that link to a phone or tablet are far more intuitive. I use the OBDLink pretty much exclusively now.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25430 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Recently I've been watching several You Tube commercials featuring this gizmo that works with your smart phone, and it has piqued my interest to at least learn more about it.

FIXD

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Works well for me. BlueDriver
https://www.bluedriver.com/pro...bluedriver-scan-tool

amazon has 10%off coupon

https://www.amazon.com/BlueDri...G4TS?ref_=ast_sto_dp

This message has been edited. Last edited by: straightshooter01,

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Black92lx; I’m not opposed to using a phone or tablet. I may even have an old laptop around I could dedicate to this project. I just need something that will work across a pretty wide spectrum. As the kids get older, there are more vehicles to maintain.

Posts: 6307 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
Black92lx; I’m not opposed to using a phone or tablet. I may even have an old laptop around I could dedicate to this project. I just need something that will work across a pretty wide spectrum. As the kids get older, there are more vehicles to maintain.

OBDLink MX+ will do the trick. It has to be that model. It includes all the downloads for every vehicle at no extra charge.
Most others including lower level OBDLink products require a fee $5-$10 per vehicle download.

App is pretty easy to use. Very simple to read codes a bit more of a learning curve if you want to start data logging and creating custom gauges to read specific vehicle parameters.

————————————————

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Black that looks like a great reader. I have a couple but this unit is way more capable than the ones I have for just a few bucks more.
Ordered!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6326 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I'll second this suggestion. What you want is a Bluedriver scan tool. You will need a smartphone to use it though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006...a_fabc_dnGbGbKAT4EVS

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I'll second this suggestion. What you want is a Bluedriver scan tool. You will need a smartphone to use it though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006...a_fabc_dnGbGbKAT4EVS

It has been a couple years since I have fully shopped these and when I purchased 2 years back BlueDriver at the time charged for each vehicle package and it also did not support using 3rd party apps.
Are these 2 still issues with the BlueDriver or have they changed?

————————————————

St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Another Bluedriver fanboy here.

Posts: 5305 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

It has been a couple years since I have fully shopped these and when I purchased 2 years back BlueDriver at the time charged for each vehicle package and it also did not support using 3rd party apps.

Each vehicle package? I'm not sure what you mean. I purchased mine probably almost two years ago and never had to pay any more than the original purchase price of the unit. It has simply worked with every car I've ever plugged it into.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Each vehicle package? I'm not sure what you mean. I purchased mine probably almost two years ago and never had to pay any more than the original purchase price of the unit. It has simply worked with every car I've ever plugged it into.

Looks like they have switched to the all included as well.
Back in the day these things tended to be a la carte. They would give you very basic info for all cars, give you one free vehicle with all the data available, and you had to pay $5-$10 a car to add the packages upgraded packages.
OBDLink used to do the same and still does with their lower end models.

Though I still can't tell if one can use the other OBD apps out there or if you are stuck with the BlueDriver app.
quote:
The BlueDriver App and BlueDriver Sensor work exclusively with each other to ensure quality

All I can find is this line on the Amazon description. Kind of makes me still think it does not play with other apps.

————————————————

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

OBDLink MX+ includes all the premium add on vehicle packages no need to purchase per vehicle.

OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone, Android, and Windows https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0...c_fabc_vxDbGbVSSCAMY

I have used it on my Tundra, Highlander, Expedition, and just now used it on my Mom’s explorer.

It does far more than just read codes. It acts as a full vehicle monitor and can access pretty much any sensor available on the vehicle.

I also have an Innova dedicated reader that I have had for many years but the new ones that link to a phone or tablet are far more intuitive. I use the OBDLink pretty much exclusively now.

I have the ODBLINK MX wifi version and it was pretty good.
However, I don't think it only did the ECM and not the body, airbag, etc.
I have subsequently got a LAUNCH 431-Pro Mini that does everything and is in a mini tablet format.
Had a bunch of CC point and used it up on it.

Posts: 22921 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

I have the ODBLINK MX wifi version and it was pretty good.
However, I don't think it only did the ECM and not the body, airbag, etc.
I have subsequently got a LAUNCH 431-Pro Mini that does everything and is in a mini tablet format.
Had a bunch of CC point and used it up on it.

You mentioned having only the MX model. The MX is/was neutered compared to the MX+. I am not sure the MX is even produced anymore.
I know the + reads the Body Control Module on my Expedition but never needed Airbag.
While I know it reads the Air Bag Module on my Tundra.

I was having issues reading my TPMS on the Tundra and they recently released a firmware upgrade and I am no longer having issues.

That Launch looks pretty sweet

————————————————

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

You mentioned having only the MX model. The MX is/was neutered compared to the MX+. I am not sure the MX is even produced anymore.
I know the + reads the Body Control Module on my Expedition but never needed Airbag.
While I know it reads the Air Bag Module on my Tundra.

I was having issues reading my TPMS on the Tundra and they recently released a firmware upgrade and I am no longer having issues.

That Launch looks pretty sweet

I believe you are correct about the MX.
At the time a few years ago it was there best.

A reason I got the Launch was the MX wasn't getting all the other modules.
The only thing I don't like about the particular one I got is the printing of reports.
You have to buy their thermal printer which isn't terribly expensive but is not very convenient, practical or functional.
It creates PDF reports but I have to then go attach to my PC and export clumsily out to print.
If it could just directly print then it would be a much better.

Posts: 22921 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Looks like they have switched to the all included as well.
Back in the day these things tended to be a la carte. They would give you very basic info for all cars, give you one free vehicle with all the data available, and you had to pay $5-$10 a car to add the packages upgraded packages.
OBDLink used to do the same and still does with their lower end models.

Though I still can't tell if one can use the other OBD apps out there or if you are stuck with the BlueDriver app.
quote:
The BlueDriver App and BlueDriver Sensor work exclusively with each other to ensure quality

All I can find is this line on the Amazon description. Kind of makes me still think it does not play with other apps.

I've only used the bluedriver app. Not sure why one would need to use any other. The Bluedriver reads and clears all codes. Including ABS, Airbag, etc. When I had the ABS and traction control light come on for my jeep, it told me it was the right wheel speed sensor. And more specifically it steered me towards the wiring. Sure enough, I had a chafed wire. Great tool.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
I have a carista that will read and clear codes. Was around 35 or so. I keep a corded obd that plugs into the computer to use with toyotas techstream as well (when I need to do more than read or clear codes).

The carista one stays in my car and have used at work before to check codes quick and clear them for some of the guys. Just need a smartphone for the app.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$20 @ shitmart
It has worked well so far...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyp...cSPRnohoCbmIQAvD_BwE

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post