SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bragging : 17 days no booze
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bragging : 17 days no booze Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted
So I've had at least x1-2 drinks pretty much every day. For the last few years. I never get sloppy. On the weekends I'll have a few more vodka / tonics than the average joe. Occasionally I'd do a night without a drink. Just to make sure I could. Maybe once a quarter. Always just checking to make sure I had/have the self control and didn't "Need a Drink".

A few weeks ago a friend of ours eyes were yellowing a bit and went to the doc. Liver's pretty beat up and they ordered a CT and put on some meds to help the liver get rid of Ammonia or something like that. They are 41.

Any way it was a bit of a wake up for me @ 42 that I do in fact drink way to much. So been proud of myself for walking away from the bottle. Spend some time on a detox and getting the body a little more healthy. I don't really know how long I plan to spend on this plan. But figure I'll at least spend several months with no alcohol. Then maybe re-introduce for social occasions later on sometime next year. Maybe 4-6 months out. Already dropped from around #215 hovering around 206#-207# most mornings.

So outside Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu plan on working in a regular workout program back into the mix as well. Maybe some rowing & calisthenics to start.

Anyway. The health issues with our friend hit close to home. If you drink a ton. Do a self analysis. If Acute Cirrhosis can hit a 41 year old... It can hit anyone that hits the bottle to hard.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8857 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Good on you.

I didn’t have any known health problems due to drinking, but mine was “moderate” for years according to someone’s criteria. After spending time at dinners with a nondrinking friend, though, I decided to mostly quit last March. I still have a couple of glasses of wine when dining with another friend, but that’s no more than once a month. I basically decided that my nightly Scotch couldn’t be helping me and I wasn’t getting anything out of it.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47414 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the decision. Stay strong!

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't call 1 or 2 a day = "a ton" but in general it is healthier not to put your liver through it.
Nothing wrong with that.

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Congrats. That is yugge! Smile

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19239 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, good for you.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2575 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Long term ammoholic
Picture of gunnutty
posted Hide Post
Fantastic. Stay with it.

Posts: 670 | Location: North Central Arkansas | Registered: February 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Good for you! Hope you grow increasingly healthy.

There was a documentary I watched recently that explained many liver issues go unnoticed because the liver doesn't feel pain. So, it was recommended doing occasional proactive screening for liver health.

One thing mentioned specifically was having hepatis (unknown) and also drinking frequently - accelerated adverse effects on the liver. I plan to get checked more often.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12758 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go have a blood panel done at the docs.
PSA, liver,kidney etc.

Go in knowing.

My favorite thing was sugar.

My doc put the fear in me,
I am now down 63 lbs.

My blood work came back very normal just 2 weeks ago

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54695 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Go have a blood panel done at the docs.
PSA, liver,kidney etc.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Good advice. Specifically tell your Doc your drinking habits and ask him to check your liver enzymes. They are an early warning sign of problems. I have seen women in their twenties with severe liver damage.

Posts: 17280 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Well done!

I don't drink, much, myself. I like a beer with dinner and I'll occasionally pour myself a whiskey, but that's mostly it. Occasionally a good bit more at parties or a day on the lake Wink

I usually do "no-alcohol" months twice a year. Not so much to see if I can, but because alcohol contains a metric crap ton of utterly worthless calories. I do those no-alcohols months in conjunction with overall carb-limiting diets.

Just finished-up "No-Alcohol November," in fact. This last weekend had one beer each night, with dinner, because it sounded good. That was the first alcohol to have passed my lips since at least October 30th.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
That's great!
I would very strongly advise you to find an AA meeting and just talk with some of the people there. You will gain an incredible wealth of knowledge and will certainly help you with your abstinence.
And I'm on day 941. Smile

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Good job. I'm pretty much the same age/boat as you, with more daily drinks. I decided a few weeks ago I'm not drinking unless I'm celebrating something or at an event. I'm considering just stopping all together though. I've seen a number of friends and family have health concerns from drinking. I don't want to have that happen to me.

I'm also transitioning from smoking to vaping to hopefully eventually completely quitting nicotine. Again, I've seen it's effects and I've already subjected my body to two+ decades of it.

Good luck man! Hopefully you will seen the benefits to your bank account and your waist very soon.

One odd thing I've noticed is I'm craving soda or juice now. Haven't bought anything yet because I don't want to replace beer calories with soda/juice calories. Wish I didn't hate fake sugar.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20841 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Most social gatherings will never notice your not drinking a tonic. Drink a coke or tea in glass, they don't know or care. Have fun!

If this is a little more than just an experiment, and need any further help, let me know.
I'm relatively local.

Mike

Posts: 1828 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I would very strongly advise you to find an AA meeting ...
A couple drinks a day does not an alcoholic make, particularly if the individual experiences no difficulty at all giving it up at will--and occasionally does.

If it's more than one or two; one can't easily give it up; or can, but finds themselves anxiously awaiting when they can have a drink again, then there are signs of a problem.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I would very strongly advise you to find an AA meeting ...
A couple drinks a day does not an alcoholic make, particularly if the individual experiences no difficulty at all giving it up at will--and occasionally does.

If it's more than one or two; one can't easily give it up; or can, but finds themselves anxiously awaiting when they can have a drink again, then there are signs of a problem.

I never made any accusations of alcoholism now did I?
I said it's a great resource to educate yourself.
However you are dead wrong on all accounts and shouldn't be giving advice on things you are a novice in.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
(It’s a program of attraction, not promotion.)

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Being healthier is a wise decision. Never understood people treating their own body like a rental.

Posts: 1976 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
For everyone in this thread paying attention, moderating, or discontinuing, It's pretty damn impressive to say the least. The members of the great Sigforum never fail to surprise and impress. Merry Christmas to you all !

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8702 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post