SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Resurfacing a whetstone
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Resurfacing a whetstone Login/Join 
Caught in a loop
posted
I have a whetstone I've had for 15-20 years that I recently uncovered while cleaning the garage to move my woodworking stuff into my "shop" area, and now that I have several chisels and a plane that need some attention on their cutting edges, I dug it out last week, then promptly put it away when I discovered why it got "lost" in the first place.

The issue is that as a kid/teenager I was less than gentle with it, and there are some pretty good indentations in it where the material crumbled because I apparently ground the tip of something pretty good, probably without any kind of lubricant (water, oil, etc). It is a combination stone, and the larger grit side seems to be the one with most of the damage.

Is there any way I can restore the flat surface?

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3374 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Norton makes a flattening stone for this.
https://www.amazon.com/Norton-...ords=stone+flattener

I have used this on waterstones and it works well
depending on how damaged your stone is will determine if you can completely clean it up.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Well that was fast. Thanks; it looks like that's exactly what I need.

I highly doubt I'll be able to grind the groove out completely, but I bet I can get pretty close and get a good amount of usable surface area around it.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3374 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OldChimney
posted Hide Post
Flattening stone - $32

New Stone - $10

Posts: 2366 | Location: West | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Synthetic diamond stones can be used to true up natural stones, but use water and know the great the damage the longer the effort involved.

Good gift idea.

Posts: 2158 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post