SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Firefox ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firefox ? Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted
Seems like when I click on the page back arrow it often jumps 2 pages, sometimes 3. Seems to be a random thing but happens often enough to be irritating.
And it happens on more then one computer-2 PC laptops and a PC desk top.
Anybody else getting this?
Any ideas how to correct?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gjgalligan,

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4221 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
PC or mobile device?

No issues like that on my PC.
No issues on my Android devices either.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7262 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Firefox user w/ no issues on PC or tablet.

Posts: 7482 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
After having used Chrome for a number of years (mandated by my employer at the time, we were working remotely), I just recently reinstalled Firefox. It's seriously slow navigating some sites. I've seen it apparently do nothing when I hit the Back button but then jump back two or three pages. It's also horribly slow loading YT pages and starting the videos. Like, minutes sometimes.

Now, my hardware (Dell Latitude I7-3540M, 8GB RAM running Win 7 Pro) is at least 15 years old and in need of replacement, that MIGHT have something to do with it. But, Chrome still works fine. I tried to install Brave, but keep getting a "No updates are available" message when I try to run the installer. I've never had Brave installed, so I don't know why the installer is looking for updates.

Posts: 7387 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought this was going to be about the Clint Eastwood movie. Stupid me.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
After having used Chrome for a number of years (mandated by my employer at the time, we were working remotely), I just recently reinstalled Firefox. It's seriously slow navigating some sites. I've seen it apparently do nothing when I hit the Back button but then jump back two or three pages. It's also horribly slow loading YT pages and starting the videos. Like, minutes sometimes.

Now, my hardware (Dell Latitude I7-3540M, 8GB RAM running Win 7 Pro) is at least 15 years old and in need of replacement, that MIGHT have something to do with it. But, Chrome still works fine. I tried to install Brave, but keep getting a "No updates are available" message when I try to run the installer. I've never had Brave installed, so I don't know why the installer is looking for updates.

I use W7 and FF is my favorite browser, my hardware is much, much much older.

Try running Ccleaner and Privazer, both free, to clean you act.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12254 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I'll look into that, thanks. Also thinking about uninstalling Firefox, rebooting and then trying the Brave install again. Maybe all of the above.

Posts: 7387 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
I'll look into that, thanks. Also thinking about uninstalling Firefox, rebooting and then trying the Brave install again. Maybe all of the above.
Brave is Chrome with a few add-ons, they share some of the same libraries which opens the possibility of version skew, etc. If you have Chrome installed, this is a better option for a diagnostic deinstall. Any other installed Google application might be interfering as well.

Neither Firefox nor Brave will conflict with each other if both are installed.

I suspect your issue is in your Firefox configuration (about:config) somewhere and has to do with skipping over pages that require re-sending data to load, or something like that. Auto reloads can expose security vulnerabilities. A standard reinstall of Firefox will not modify user-initiated configuration items.

Posts: 6740 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
OK, it turned out my problem is that I'm still running Windows 7. The generally available Brave installer is a stub that just goes to look for the latest version. And like Chrome (no surprise once you think about it), the latest version won't install on Win 7, thus the not very descriptive error message. Gotta have Win 10 or later for it to install. I did find an older version on Github that installs and runs on Win 7 though.

I did some checking and found that my system is old enough that I can't update to Win 10 either. So it's starting to look like I shouldn't delay replacing my laptop any further. The hell of it is, it still works fine. I need a new one anyway for the ham shack I'm putting together, and I'm seriously considering switching to Linux for that. Or maybe get a new Win 11 laptop for the shack and install Linux on my current one (since I retired I don't need to Windows-based development tools anymore).

Deeds Not Words
posted Hide Post
Okay,cross thread…but I cant be the only guy who read, “Firefox” and thought of Clint Eastwood from our youth stealing a Soviet MIG-31…

Clint as Maj. Gant: “Yeah, I can fly it. I'm the best there is.”

Navy BMD: When "Aim High" isn't High Enough!

Posts: 71 | Registered: August 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post