SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I love watching trucks hit bridges. 11foot8 has a little brother.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I love watching trucks hit bridges. 11foot8 has a little brother. Login/Join 
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted
Perhaps because I've driven truck so much myself, I must admit that one of my guilty pleasures is watching trucks "can opener" on bridges. I always considered 11foot8 the pinnacle of truck stickers. This one is far better.

I noticed that the FD at the 2 min mark didn't bring the ladder truck from the 1 min mark. Big Grin

Also, how about that vicious curb? Brutal.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Even with the flashing arrows.

Roll Eyes

I was once behind a brand new (looking) 5th wheel cruising along I90 in northern Indiana. Some of those overpasses around Gary are pretty low, but this guy was going full speed and didn't seem to care. When it took off the top foot of his brand new camper he began to care. If you drive that area, you'll see all kinds of scars on those overpasses. This guy wasn't the first.

Posts: 20109 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Gotta admit:
  • I enjoyed the tailgators getting splattered with truck debris almost as much as the truck hitting the well marked bridge
  • I was rooting for the fire to take down that evil little bridge

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23264 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Seeker of Clarity
    Picture of r0gue
    posted Hide Post
    what the hell happened at 1:04 sec with that car? Why don't they just dig to lower the road?

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of PowerSurge
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by r0gue:
    what the hell happened at 1:04 sec with that car? Why don't they just dig to lower the road?

His right front tire hit the curb and shot him across the road.

———————————————
    The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Shorted to Atmosphere
    Picture of Shifferbrains
    posted Hide Post
    That fire truck was an expensive hit.

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Coin Sniper
    Picture of Rightwire
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Shifferbrains:
    That fire truck was an expensive hit.

Known as a career limiting move.

Definitely evil when it takes out a ladder truck and two cars.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Political Cynic
    Picture of nhtagmember
    posted Hide Post
    The fire truck hit surprises me - you'd think they would know better

but the crew that showed up seem to have some serious difficulty in putting the wet stuff on the red stuff

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53188 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of sigcrazy7
    posted Hide Post
    There's a link in the comments that goes to another video of the truck on fire. It says that the truck on fire had 7,000 pounds of lobster onboard, and $100,000 of lobster went up in smoke.

It also said that Massachusetts has rebuilt this underpass and bridge in 2018 at a cost of $17.2M. It guess that's the end of videos from this bridge.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    You love watching trucks hit bridges? What? I don't even know what to say. What in the world are you talking about?

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of sigcrazy7
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by parabellum:
    You love watching trucks hit bridges? What? I don't even know what to say. What in the world are you talking about?

It's not accidental. It's gross negligence. It's more like seeing someone go speeding by you, and then see them pulled over down the road. More of an instant karma kind of thing.

I don't get off watching people getting hurt, but that's not what this is. What I don't mind seeing is people in my profession getting their due, especially when this type of negligence is the kind of crap that gets my profession a bad rap. Jamming your truck under a bridge after driving past all of the warning signs doesn't get me the least bit of sympathy for the effects.

The authorities don't cut me any slack for my lack of care wrt trucking, and I guess I don't have sympathy for those making it more difficult for me. When inattentive people do this kind of thing, it only adds to the level of regulation and scrutiny I get. So no, I don't have a bit of sympathy for sticking a truck under a bridge.

Page late and a dollar short
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by nhtagmember:
    The fire truck hit surprises me - you'd think they would know better

but the crew that showed up seem to have some serious difficulty in putting the wet stuff on the red stuff

I've been out of the fire service for a long time as a volunteer and paid-on-call. Besides what you said which I totally agree with the other thing is why put your engine that close to the fire? There is a reason for the pre-connects, usually the ones I worked from had a minimum 150 feet ready to pull and charge.

-------------------------------------——————
    ————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8108 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    The truck with all the lobster was sad, they all died before their time... in the pot.

Seriously though, hate to see that happen to anything lobsters included.

That's an evil bridge - I think the curb is worse though, deflecting cars off the curb into either the wall or another vehicle - especially with how the curb is curved as it approached the underpass, its a perfect deflector

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Charmingly unsophisticated
    Picture of AllenInAR
    posted Hide Post
    True story....

The SF community has a lot of ties to the WV ARNG. One of those ties is a program called "Ridge Runner" which is essentially live action Dungeons & Dragons played out across the state, complete with a multitude of scenarios, role players, NPCs, etc. I have had the privilege of helping out in a few of the iterations.

One took place in southern WV, and the group playing was housed at an airport near Logan, WV. As a lot of airports are around here, this one was on top of a mountain. To get to said airport, one had to pass UNDER a railroad track. The road actually dips under it, and there is a fairly prominent sign warning motorists of the low height.

Despite this, a certain officer (who shall go unnamed) drove a rental box truck under aforementioned railroad overpass. He did it successfully, albeit doing some damage to the top of the truck. When we arrived at the airport, we handed off the truck to the team and their 'observer/controller', a vet of the Irish Army and now with WVARNG's 2/19 SFG. With the hand-off we also give a warning....DO NOT TAKE THE TRUCK UNDER THE RAILROAD OVERPASS.

Fast forward to about 0200 hrs. The team has loaded a lot of their extraneous gear into the box truck. A couple of Carl Gustavs. A couple of M240Bs. Various packs and bags of obvious military nature. The Irish O/C and his Puerto Rican-native 'battle buddy' (a commo dude as I recall, voluntold to help with this particular operation) are to drive the truck to where we're running the thing. Where does our intrepid O/C take the truck? Under the railroad, of course. And he gets the truck stuck.

A passing tow truck driver sees the stuck truck. He pulls up and addresses the O/C, asking if he can help. They accept the offer, and all they succeed in doing is peeling off the roof and driver's side wall of the box, spilling all this hardware out of the truck.

Now the O/C has kept his Irish brogue, and I would not be surprised if he deliberately accentuates it, just to stand out. And the guy from PR is also a ESL type. Keep in mind, this is southern WV and this tow truck driver is suddenly confronted with two obvious 'furriners' in civvy clothes with a truck full of machine guns and rocket launchers. LOL He(according to the O/C) backpedals quickly, fumbling with his cell phone, calling the state police. Fortunately those guys (and the 911 call center) had been briefed in on the whole thing, so it was all straightened out quickly.

But I would have loved to have watched that all unfold.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    thin skin can't win
    Picture of Georgeair
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

I don't get off watching people getting hurt, but that's not what this is.

That looks like a real likely possibility for cars unfortunate enough to be coming the other way.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12420 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Oldrider
    posted Hide Post
    Some of those trucks were commercial, weren't they? If they had a dispatcher on the ball they should have been routed around that bridge?

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Mensch
    Picture of kz1000
    posted Hide Post
    "Go faster! We can beat it!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
    -Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    First guy: The sign for that bridge says 10'6" and our truck is taller than that.

Second guy: Hell, I don't see any cops around, do you?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    SIG's 'n Surefires
    Picture of M-11
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    and all they succeed in doing is peeling off the roof and driver's side wall of the box, spilling all this hardware out of the truck.

Isn't this one of those situations where one lets the air out of the tires to gain enough clearance? Assuming the tow truck has an on-board compressor to reinflate.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
    "Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
    "Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Little ray
    of sunshine
    Picture of jhe888
    posted Hide Post
    I was also surprised that the firemen were that dumb.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post