SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Glock contests results of MHS program with the GAO
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Glock contests results of MHS program with the GAO Login/Join 
Picture of dwd1985
posted
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money...li=BBnbfcL&ocid=iehp

Since the first Glock was designed and built by an Austrian curtain-rod manufacturer, Gaston Glock, in 1982, the sleek weapon has become the most popular handgun in America among both cops and criminals. In fact, the company claims that some 65 percent of U.S. police departments use Glocks, often the lightweight Glock 19 with its 15-round magazine.

But when the Army decided to replace the M9 Beretta, the sidearm that’s been on the hips of soldiers for the past 30 years, it bypassed Smith & Wesson and Glock and handed a potential $580 million contract for its Modular Handgun System (MHS) to Sig Sauer. The German-controlled company will manufacture the Sig Sauer P320 in New Hampshire.

However, as Bloomberg Businessweek writer Paul Barrett made clear in his 2012 book Glock: The Rise of America’s Gun, Glock doesn’t like to lose. It has filed a protest with the General Accounting Office, contesting the awarding of the contract to Sig Sauer.

The basis for contesting the contract is not clear from the filing, but by law, the GAO has 100 days from a bid protest filing to render a decision on whether the procurement process was flawed, so a judgment is due by early June.

The attorney for Glock was not immediately available for comment. But the website Bearing Arms says, “The fact Glock is protesting the decision strongly suggests that the company developed a ‘modular mystery Glock’ that has not yet been seen by the public. None of Glock’s existing handgun designs come close to being ‘modular.’”

The Sig Sauer P320 is designed to be adapted to the needs of the shooter and the mission: For example, the grip can be adjusted, it can be configured for silencers and it can be converted to fire three different types of ammunition.

The Army plans to phase in the P320 over the next decade, and the contract includes weapons, accessories and ammo. The Marines may make it the sidearm of choice, too.

Posts: 4449 | Registered: October 28, 2010Report This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Sore losers. Maybe they should try to innovate past the 80's with a new design.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Report This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Typical of any government contract. If you cannot win on a products' merits, sue (or contest). Seems a lot of the time what happens is a new test is ordered, the process gets drawn out, and then finally cancelled and no one wins.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The world is not enough

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
Since the first Glock was designed and built by an Austrian curtain-rod manufacturer, Gaston Glock, in 1982, the sleek weapon ...

"Sleek?" Few firearms aficionados I know would refer to a Glock as "sleek."

Don't get me wrong: I appreciate Glocks for what they are (I own two), and honour Gaston Glock for the innovation he brought to the semi-automatic handgun world, but, Glock pistols are hardly "sleek."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:

The Glock is modular. There is a Gen 1, Gen2, Gen3, Gen4, and the to be delivered Gen5! Roll Eyes

Glock may have been revolutionary 30 years ago. But since then they are playing catch up to the rest of the industry.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Report This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Forgot where I read it. Maybe they are just protesting to point out they didn't make it because of the modular fcu and safety and that they didn't get selected because the gun failed something. It just didn't meet all the requirements.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Clearly the generals on the selection committee didn't read the " You will buy a Glock" thread...

Posts: 4737 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Report This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
Clearly the generals on the selection committee didn't read the " You will buy a Glock" thread...

Yes I was just going to say they didn't get the MEMO Eek

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Forgot where I read it. Maybe they are just protesting to point out they didn't make it because of the modular fcu and safety and that they didn't get selected because the gun failed something. It just didn't meet all the requirements.

It made it to the final 3 of selection but didn't meet the requirements??? What makes you think that? It wouldn't have even been tested if that were true.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Report This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:

It made it to the final 3 of selection but didn't meet the requirements??? What makes you think that? It wouldn't have even been tested if that were true.

I could see a loose interpretation of the requirements based on Glock's reputation and its pre-existence in the government ordering system. So they test it to find out if it can keep up, while they decide just how modular the MHS needed to be.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Report This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Does the GAO have anything to do with military contracting? I would think this would have to go through the Pentagon.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Report This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chowser:

A possible explanation:

"Only the Sig Sauer P320, with a serialized core frame and the ability to swap different grip lengths and slide-barrel combinations, seems to meet the requirements of the RFP among the named designs*. The Beretta APX, CZ P09, Smith & Wesson M&P, and Glock models only offer swappable backstraps. They lack any kind of actual modularity and the ability to change frame sizes and slide/barrel lengths on the same chassis."
https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/...-armys-next-handgun/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Report This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
In fact, the company claims that some 65 percent of U.S. police departments use Glocks, often the lightweight Glock 19 with its 15-round magazine.

Call me ignorant, but I've seen a whole lot more G22's and G17's on cops than G19's, no?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I recall that SIG did the same during ATF trials.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
I recall that SIG did the same during ATF trials.

IIRC SIG's complaint was that reliability was too heavily weighted for the decision process.

Colt filed a contest on the M4 contract when Remington won it and FN and Colt wound up winning contracts.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Report This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
Pretty much every contract over 10 million gets objected by the loser(s), nothing new in the gov. contract business.

Trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zacsquatch:
Pretty much every contract over 10 million gets objected by the loser(s), nothing new in the gov. contract business.

KAC didn't protest the M-110C contract.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Report This Post
Picture of Prince Herman
posted Hide Post
quote:
I appreciate Glocks for what they are (I own two), and honour Gaston Glock for the innovation he brought to the
could you kindly expand on that "innovation "? I'm doing a research project and that information would be helpful. Thanks

Posts: 512 | Location: S.E. Pa. | Registered: October 19, 2011Report This Post