SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New const. York hvac system?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New const. York hvac system? Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Helping family on a new cost. Project. The house is about 1500sq.ft. single level.

The bid is for a York system.
It will be for propane fired condensing furnance with an outdoor condensing unit for the AC.

Tell me about the York brand. it is a well known brand. I am thinking middle of the road for quality. Installer is good to go.

Thanks guys.

Ex Cam man?Smile

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
My parents had new construction in 92 with York. 3 systems in 6 years. All under warranty. They finally gave up and went with Trane.

Unless York has changed it's spots, I'd stay away.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Anyone else?

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
This video does a good job of sorting out the different families of systems. It may at least help you organize your search. He talks a little about York towards the end, but he spends way more time on the Carrier/Bryant family.
https://youtu.be/r_uP9itJ0HQ

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I have a York that’s lasted about 20 years. Came with the house. I’m not sure I’d buy it again but it’s worked trouble free. Just had to replace caps once. I’d probably go better brand, higher SEER.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
https://www.york.com/residenti...r-conditioners/,-w-,

No personal experience but saw that even in low cost units they use scroll compressors. This is best possible choice for compressors.

We have these threads about four times each year. There are many recommended solutions.

To me success begins with sizing. Then duct routing and diameters. Then equipment details. Most designs use a scroll compressor now, and most are made by Emerson.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Didn't New York just outlaw gas furnaces?

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4133 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'd add the area of the country to help narrow this down some too.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
Didn't New York just outlaw gas furnaces?

The bill may just specify natural gas; propane might not be included.
I thought I read that somewhere, though it could have been a different state's bill.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Guys, this has nothing to do with New York. C'mon man Razz

York brand of Hvac equipment.

I know it is not a top brand. But middle of the road is good.

I appreciate the thoughts guys.

posted Hide Post
I live in a humid climate and have a heat pump. It doesn't "feel" as warm as gas in winter, but the energy bills are ridiculously low, less than 25 percent of the natural gas/AC unit I had in the other house, which was the same size. Something to consider.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
^^^^ I had my HVAC replaced recently with York equipment. Heat pumps with propane auxiliary heat. This last winter saw a major reduction in propane usage.

I have a 1,000 gallon tank which can be filled with roughly 800 gallons. Prior to the heat pumps I would fill the tank when prices were lower during the summer, and need to do a partial fill sometime around the end of February or beginning of March to get us through the cold season.

As of today, I believe I still have about 350 gallons remaining from last summer's purchase.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Not going the heat pump route. Just the AC condensing OD unit. The owner is going to have a few cadet type electric wall heaters installed as supplemental heat in key locations.
This house will be pretty energy efficient and pretty economical to heat and cool.
It is a pretty cold winter climate but not extreme. AC will be nice for a couple three months in July, august and sept.

Picture of dkjbama
posted Hide Post
My only concern with a York would be the possibility of it having a micro-channel condensing coil. I don't think micro-channels have a great track record as far as leaks are concerned. Perhaps resident expert Excam can provide more/better info.

My only equipment requirements when I need a new system will be non-micro-channel coils and a Copeland scroll compressor. Companies seem to be sneaking LG compressors into newer budget units. LG may be fine, but I know Copeland is a dependable known quantity.

Posts: 775 | Location: NW Alabama | Registered: January 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Excam Man, I value your opinion. I see you posting in the other thread going on. Yes I am with you on a quality installer. Any opinion on the York eq.?

posted Hide Post
I may not be as cool as your boy the Excam, but I have a bit of experience in this field and think we are in the same hood. York equipment may be fine, but the top dealers don’t use it or it is used as a value line to sell against on the upgrade to the Better, or the Best option. The furnace fairies around here are pretty cutthroat and typically will try and sweat you for the upgrades. If it were me I would still get the propane but would not use it for heat other than a gas fireplace as a third back up for when the power is off if there is no wood stove. Use the propane for the range, the dryer, and a tube heater in the shop or. Unit heater in the garage. Heat and cool the house with a quality VRF heat pump from Diakin or Mitsubishi with a little electric supplemental heat, not more than 7.5 kw. Skip the cadets entirely unless those rooms will be up heated 90% of the time. A good heat pump will do full capacity well below zero and only hit the supplemental heat if there is a failure or you mess with the stat(s). Propane is expensive but it a dense energy source. It is best to use it for the things it is best for. We have cheap power and it is already hooked up to th3 house so use it. Energy cost will be half or better with a high seer high or hyper heat system. You have my email, I am out of town this week but, email me if you want a recommendation on a dealer who will do a decent job. Ciao.

Posts: 1795 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Hi Sthead, Thank you. I do value your opinion as well. I know you work in the industry.
The builder of this home has a good group of subs on this job. I have met or know some of them personally. He has a good thing going with the right folks. So I am comfortable with this.
Had it been my home I would contact you and take your advice.
It is not and I am providing more of a overseeing/advisory roll.
As I said. It will have a propane furnace with an AC condensing unit. Pretty basic and simple system to install, maintain and replace if necessary. They will have a few cadet wall heaters for supplemental heat as well. Maybe not ideal. But the house will be well built and should be quite comfortable throughout the year. And pretty economical.
I really appreciate your offer to get involved and to help, I really do. Thank you sir.

posted Hide Post
No worries, I don’t do that sort of work for the genpop anyway, was just trying to suggest a system that I would recommend for a friend or family member. I hope all goes good. How is the new hoe working out, did you break it yet? Machinery is never really your own until you put the first good scratch on it, or blow a hydraulic hose.

Posts: 1795 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks brother.

It had plenty of bumps and bruises when I got it with 1600 hrs and being a rental machine. Had the Kubota mobile mechanic out and he did a complete service. Said it was a great mechanical condition and I am good to go. That was good to hear. Tracks have about 200 hrs on them. Really pleased with the machine overall. Should last for years. It is exactly the machine I need. If I have need for something bigger I can rent one for that.