SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bangers and mash
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bangers and mash Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I've only had it once (at a Harry Potter restaurant in Universal Islands in Orlando). I want to make it again, but I'm having problems finding the right kind of sausage. Everything around here is either a Jimmy Dean breakfast link or a bratwurst. What am I looking for, and where can I find it?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I've seen them listed as "Irish" style sausages.

Posts: 7423 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just use Deer sausage .

Posts: 4063 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I've used the regular Johnsonville brats.

Four me though, it's about the fresh, snappy peas, mashed potatoes, and gravy though (with each bite of the banger. (Personally didn't like the mushy peas)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Colosimo's Standard Market?

Gonna finish it off with spotted dick?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5647 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An Irish restaurant I went to the sausage was similar to Vienna sausage.

Posts: 465 | Location: Pell City, AL. U.S. | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to your butcher and get some fresh brats, make mashed potatoes. Done. If you have extra brats leftover, cut them up into pieces and cook them till crispy, add eggs, fix up a spicy bloody, you now have a wonderful start to Saturday. LoL

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bangers are a different thing from most other sausages. You have a shop up in Layton called "Little Taste of Britain". You might contact and ask if they will sell you some. You'll need to explore the best ways to cook them.

We have a local pub where we have ordered them in the past - usually 5 or 10 pounds at a time. Mom used to like to keep some in the freezer. I checked recently, and they said they can still do this - the person they buy from, it appears, may retire from making them before long.

You'd have to look, but there might be places where you can buy them frozen and have them shipped. May cost a bit more, but it is one way to have them handy.

Good luck! I try to get to that pub every once in a while and pick some up.

ADD - found a link to one place that ships. I do not have any experience with them.

https://www.exoticmeatmarkets....gebritishbangers.htm

2nd ADD - found a place in Springville that sells bangers
http://www.springvillemeat.com/retail.html

3rd ADD - you sent me down a rabbit hole - found an actual RECIPE for making bangers. I'd recommend starting with a small batch to make sure they are what you want
https://sunsetandsewanee.com/t...onal-english-banger/

Posts: 2773 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Bangers ain't brats.

Online shopping for Bangers

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
Bangers are a different thing from most other sausages. You have a shop up in Layton called "Little Taste of Britain". You might contact and ask if they will sell you some. You'll need to explore the best ways to cook them.

We have a local pub where we have ordered them in the past - usually 5 or 10 pounds at a time. Mom used to like to keep some in the freezer. I checked recently, and they said they can still do this - the person they buy from, it appears, may retire from making them before long.

You'd have to look, but there might be places where you can buy them frozen and have them shipped. May cost a bit more, but it is one way to have them handy.

Good luck! I try to get to that pub every once in a while and pick some up.

ADD - found a link to one place that ships. I do not have any experience with them.

https://www.exoticmeatmarkets....gebritishbangers.htm

2nd ADD - found a place in Springville that sells bangers
http://www.springvillemeat.com/retail.html

3rd ADD - you sent me down a rabbit hole - found an actual RECIPE for making bangers. I'd recommend starting with a small batch to make sure they are what you want
https://sunsetandsewanee.com/t...onal-english-banger/

Thanks for sharing these links! I'll check them out

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
Bangers ain't brats.

Online shopping for Bangers

Some of these at the link look promising. Thanks!

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Go to your butcher and get some fresh brats, make mashed potatoes.

All of the British Isles just let out a collective groan. Substituting a Brat for a proper Banger is like getting chicken when you ordered turkey.

OP: I usually buy from RJ Balson and Son. I also recommend getting some rasher.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
Go to your butcher and get some fresh brats, make mashed potatoes. Done. If you have extra brats leftover, cut them up into pieces and cook them till crispy, add eggs, fix up a spicy bloody, you now have a wonderful start to Saturday. LoL

Burn the Heretic! Razz

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:

use whatever sausage you want,
make the taters just a bit chunky,

leftovers, if any , tossed in a skillet with some onions, stirred around a bit to soften the onions,
add maybe a 1/2 dozen eggs (scrambled and poured over the sausage and taters) then pop that under the broiler till done,

variation of a Jamie Oliver recipe, and damn tasty

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
If you ever make it to Newport, Oregon, try the bangers and mash at Nana's Irish Pub.

Posts: 1813 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
quote:
Go to your butcher and get some fresh brats, make mashed potatoes.

All of the British Isles just let out a collective groan. Substituting a Brat for a proper Banger is like getting chicken when you ordered turkey.

Lol. I've have bangers before. How traditional, I don't truly know, but I realize there's a flavor/texture profile you're looking for. However, the idea is basically the same...sausages and potatoes. Brats are not all Johnsonville my friend. Most butchers make their own mix. I can get several varieties of sausages from my local butcher...hence the suggestion.

And if you ever want to have really good sausages and you're in WI. Go to the grocery store, yeah, just a grocery store. ReChek's Food Pride in Beaver Dam, WI. They make about 30 flavors of "brats" under the Grandpa ReCheks brand. Unfortunately they don't ship. I'll put their sausage up against any I've tasted. And they're $4 a pack.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Its basically a pork and veal sausage, whatever brand of link you want to use is fine.

Posts: 23495 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Its basically a pork and veal sausage, whatever brand of link you want to use is fine.

To elaborate, you can also get pure veal sausages as well. The texture will be super fine. Often you'll see these as white bratwurst. Continental sausage makes a good veal sausage, though I find the casing a bit thick for my personal preference. I have been told though that pure veal sausages are more taboo now and harder to find.

Anyhow, the mix - the pork/veal++ meat ratio is key, as well as spices. A pork or beef sausage will be notably more textured than one with veal, at least in my experience.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. ...Substituting a Brat for a proper Banger is like getting chicken when you ordered turkey....

I'm pretty sure this is how WWII started.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43908 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’m surprised that tacfoley hasn’t chimed in yet.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8978 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post