SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    sharp free standing portable AC unit short cycling? Help please.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sharp free standing portable AC unit short cycling? Help please. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So we bought new several years ago but hardly used it. Hellish hot right now so got it out. Hooked it up. Short, direct hose. Turned on. Seems to work but runs two or three mins and shuts off. Couple mins. Later it starts again. This goes one as long as it is on. Please don't tell me it is shot!

Filters clean and not full of water. Thoughts on where to go from here?

Thanks guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The dumpster?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Something electrical. Bad capacitor?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sounds like low freon and it's shutting the unit off from a low pressure switch.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I think we had a bit of an overheat problem. Even though the hose is pretty short and direct. A screen was on it on the outside and may have been a bit of a restriction. Seems to be working correctly now. Has been on for over an hour solid Smile Thanks again for your help.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to see you got it running ok.

Just a heads up, most small/cheap refrigeration equipment (small window a/c, dehumidifiers, dorm size refers/freezers, etc.) don't normally have high end components like high and low pressure switches.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Glad to see you got it running ok.

Just a heads up, most small/cheap refrigeration equipment (small window a/c, dehumidifiers, dorm size refers/freezers, etc.) don't normally have high end components like high and low pressure switches.

Some of the LG's I have bought do. Some have had a dirty filter error light on them, blocked exhaust hose error light and auto shut off and various other ones, surprisingly enough.