SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Brushing teeth with baking soda
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brushing teeth with baking soda Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I know it is a bit weird in concept. But research if you like. My wife is in the dental field. Has decades in it. Her employer is a big advocate. She was interested but skeptical I would say. Me, no thanks. Now I actually like it. You get used to it. My wife is more on board I would say. I do not know a lot about the specifics of it. One of my questions/issue's was how to get it on the brush? Well now I use a recycled spice jar with all the holes taped off except one and just shake it directly in my mouth. Makes you salivate right away. Teeth feel very clean. Yes there is a salty residue. I kind of like it. There are benefits. Read up. ask your dentist or hygienist. Some Toothpaste has ground up glass in it I am told.

I am pretty sure it is not a new thing. Just passing it on.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19242 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
There are several brand of toothpaste with baking soda as an ingredient.
There’s also a homemade recipe.

“Instructions
Measure 1/2 cup of baking soda and add to mixing bowl.
Add 2 tbsp. water or to desired consistency.
Mix together the baking soda and water until you get a paste consistency you are happy with.
Give your teeth a good brush with your new batch of homemade toothpaste.
https://thehomemadeexperiment.com › ...

https://thehomemadeexperiment....ing-soda-toothpaste/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
if you're looking at ingredient abrasiveness, you can't beat baking soda:

What is the Relative Dentin Abrasivity RDA of your toothpaste?

i stopped using processed tooth paste more than a year ago. stopped mouthwatch also, which kills helpful bacteria - the oral microbiome exists.

i use a 50 / 50 baking soda coconut oil mix. don't let it get down your sink as it'll clog faster than you can say jack robinson.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have done it for years, I just put a small amount in my left hand then wet my toothbrush press it in the soda in my hand and brush, repeat till all is used.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know it is a bit weird in concept

Common when I was a child in the 50's. All households had baking soda & when you ran out of toothpaste that was what was used.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4282 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The product you apply to the brush is MUCH less significant than the brushing technique. Using a soft bristled brush and getting the angles right to clean every surface is the key whether using plain water, baking soda or toothpaste.

DDS since 1990.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Not to hijack, but what do you think about electric toothbrushes, like Oral-B?

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15487 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

I recently got into a discussion with my dentist about them; he said the Philips Sonicare seems to provide the best results of all the electric toothbrush styles he discusses with patients. In fact, he asked me if I was using one before I even broached the subject. He said teeth are smoother, and there is much less tartar than with regular brushing or with other types of electric brushes.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15623 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that Sonicare seems to be about the best. I use one myself.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Some toothpaste is more abrasive then others and will wear the enamel off your teeth.

Your health starts in your mouth and one of the best toothpastes is made by Nutribiotics which contains grapefruit seed extract.

https://www.vitacost.com/nutri...ental-gel-peppermint

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
My grandmother had us use baking soda when we visited her, back in the 60's.
A little peroxide around the gums as you get older seems to work too.

Posts: 9546 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Baking soda is what we used when I was growing up back in the 40's & 50's.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2094 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
A downside of this is that you miss out on fluoride in the toothpaste. I live on a well system, so I have no added fluoride, therefore my only sources of this important cavity fighting element is the fluoride in my toothpaste and the semi-annual treatments I get from my dentist at cleaning time.

Something to consider if you don't live on a municipal water system.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Arm & Hammer baking soda toothpaste has been my go-to for many years.

I will occasionally try other kinds, then always come right back to the baking soda stuff.

Posts: 33871 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
A downside of this is that you miss out on fluoride in the toothpaste. I live on a well system, so I have no added fluoride, therefore my only sources of this important cavity fighting element is the fluoride in my toothpaste and the semi-annual treatments I get from my dentist at cleaning time.

Something to consider if you don't live on a municipal water system.

The effect of topical vs systemic (water system) fluoride are not exactly the same. Topical can help with remineralization of early lesions, where systemic is more important in enamel formation in children. The concentration in municipal water is not high enough to make a difference topically.

Having fluoride in your toothpaste is a good thing, but independent of your water source. Still, a patient doing a fantastic job brushing and flossing is unlikely to be the one who needs the fluoride in the first place. Using fluoride toothpaste also won't do much to help the crappy brusher.

Member!
posted Hide Post
Easiest way is to use some cheap Flouride toothpaste (yes you still need flouride to keep your teeth strong over time) on your toothbrush, then press it into the baking soda. The baking soda will stick to flouride toothpaste. THe toothpaste also makes the baking soda, not taste like crap.. or at least, lessen the crap taste! :-)

Posts: 4351 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^

Why? Just buy Arm and Hammer toothpaste if you want fluoride and baking soda.

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I have a little tupperware container with baking soda on my bathroom counter. I moisten the bristles and dunk it to get it on the brush. It works, whitens, and polishes.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:

I recently got into a discussion with my dentist about them; he said the Philips Sonicare seems to provide the best results of all the electric toothbrush styles he discusses with patients. In fact, he asked me if I was using one before I even broached the subject. He said teeth are smoother, and there is much less tartar than with regular brushing or with other types of electric brushes.

I switched to a Sonic Pro after my visit 7 months ago. The cleaning at my visit last month was way less invasive. Sonic Care works.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:

Since switching many years ago I haven't had any cavities and when I go in for my semi-annual 6 month visits they barely have to scrape.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12658 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post