SIGforum
Vultures Are Back

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/3160079144

May 19, 2018, 06:43 PM
ridewv
Vultures Are Back
Last year I discovered a pair of turkey vultures had made home of an abandoned hunting stand on the property and observed the progression from eggs to chicks then to happen to be around when the young ones took to flight for the first time. Seeing how it was successful I hoped the pair would return this year and they did.

This years eggs.

They're really pretty cool birds and do a service cleaning up carrion. After mating, male and female both raise the young then separate later in the season to go their separate way then south to Winter. Next Spring the same two return to meet and start again.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.
May 19, 2018, 06:48 PM
GWbiker
Oops....I thought this was about the News Media.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".
May 19, 2018, 06:51 PM
arfmel
Yeah, neat birds but their roosting area can get pretty ripe smelling. A house a few blocks away used to have a bunch of them in their trees every year. Homeowner finally cut the trees down. The situation was unbearable.
May 19, 2018, 08:06 PM
ridewv
That's for sure sometimes there are some ripe entrails laying there! In my case I could care less as it's in a stand out in the woods which I'll never use.

I'll post back when they hatch.

May 19, 2018, 08:11 PM
irreverent
Very cool! And cool that you’d take the time to notice and monitor.

"Trust, but verify."
May 19, 2018, 08:12 PM
Elk Hunter
Can't say they are back here. Never left this year.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter
May 19, 2018, 08:59 PM
pbramlett
A time lapse camera would be so cool on this nest.

Regards,

P.
May 19, 2018, 09:32 PM
henryaz

We have hordes of them. They roost up on Yarnell Hill (+1,500 ft in elevation) and catch a thermal or whatever they do to soar. They are overhead all day in our lower area. And yes, they do an excellent job cleaning up carrion and stuff. They are a large part of the desert clean-up crew. Ours leave in November and reappear February-March.

Here they are taking a break in our front yard:

May 19, 2018, 09:32 PM
craigcpa
Sometimes nature is a messy necessity. I think this is one of those moments. Hope the hatchlings make it 'cause there's plenty of road kill to go...

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫
May 20, 2018, 08:24 AM
Angus the Kid
No nest? Eggs just laid on wood floor?

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"
May 20, 2018, 08:32 AM
Chris Anchor
We live near the Conowingo Dam, Bald Eagles nest every where but we also have the Turkey Vultures. So many of them it's normal to see as many as fifty on the railings of the dam in the morning. They will attack cars parked the visitors area and strip the rubber from the windshields? I guess they like rubber. We shoo them away from our fields when we have smaller lambs out while I don't think they attack the living they might peck at a sleeping lamb and do harm. Chris
May 20, 2018, 09:09 AM
ridewv
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Anchor:
We live near the Conowingo Dam, Bald Eagles nest every where but we also have the Turkey Vultures. So many of them it's normal to see as many as fifty on the railings of the dam in the morning. They will attack cars parked the visitors area and strip the rubber from the windshields? I guess they like rubber. We shoo them away from our fields when we have smaller lambs out while I don't think they attack the living they might peck at a sleeping lamb and do harm. Chris

Black vultures are known to prey on live animals such as fawns, lambs, etc. The ones in Henryaz's image appear to be black vultures.

May 20, 2018, 09:13 AM
arfmel
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:
No nest? Eggs just laid on wood floor?

Well, to be fair, they did crap all over the floor to provide a cozy surface for their chicks.
May 20, 2018, 09:17 AM
ridewv
Last years chicks.

May 20, 2018, 09:33 AM
arfmel
Watch out-those guys will puke on you if you get too close. And that's a surprisingly efficient defense.
May 20, 2018, 09:49 AM
henryaz
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
The ones in Henryaz's image appear to be black vultures.

The ones in my pic are all turkey vultures. Look closely and you'll see the red head on most of them. A couple of the closer ones you cannot tell for sure. Their tippy/teetering flight/soaring is also a tell, but that's hard to discern from my pic. Smile I don't recall seeing any black vultures around here, at least not close enough where I could see the head to be sure.