SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendation wanted for home/portable pizza oven
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendation wanted for home/portable pizza oven Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
Does anyone use a portable pizza oven like the Ooni Koda? It's a small dedicated pizza oven, although you can use it for steaks, etc. Gets to 900 degrees with propane.

They mostly have good reviews, but it's hard sorting through them. Any here have any experience or advice?

Posts: 3446 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I've looked at these and just can't justify the space it would take up.

If you haven't already look into pizza steels go check them out. That's how I make my pizzas. My gas oven can get a pizza steel up to about 550 degrees. I have no problem getting the crust leapording, but can't get a good color on the top crust so I have to throw the pizza under the broiler for a minute or so. I can have a pizza done in about 4 or 5 minutes.

If you have an electric stove you could probably get better results.

Posts: 11176 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I have the Camp Chef pizza oven that goes on my Camp Chef three burner camp stove. It covers two of the three burners and makes great pizzas. Also makes great cinnamon rolls in a cast iron pan in the morning. It’s portable and the stove runs on propane. We use it quite often at the lake property. Camp Chef is good stuff and provide great customer service. Not to mention you then have a propane stove for which Camp Chef makes other accessories for like a grill box or a flat top griddle which are all interchangeable.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8541 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I was having a conversation with a buddy about the Ooni pizza ovens and he's really into it. He likes his gas model because he doesn't have to mess with the temp between pizzas. He just waits a bit between pizzas so that the stones get back up to temp.

He said that if you intend on camping with the pizza oven, then go with the smaller/lighter 12" size.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
camping with the pizza oven

Just saying, those words don't go together. Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12461 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
A friend tells me he cooks good pizza in his Big Green Egg along with a few other things. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I'm actually shopping for a gift for my son, so the stand alone pizza ovens are what I'm looking for. I am aware of using stones on the Egg, etc.

The Ooni gets mostly very good reviews, but I was hoping for some reports or opinions from those with first hand experience.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I do pizzas in my RecTec 700 pellet grill. Adds a real wood-fired oven taste to the pizza. I use pizza stones in the grill.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5420 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I do pizza on a stone I bought for my BGE in the oven @ 450 degrees. Heat the stone, dust it with corn meal, then put the pie on it. 10-15 minutes later I have a pizza.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
camping with the pizza oven

Just saying, those words don't go together. Razz

If I'm camping (not backpacking) 80-90 percent of my time is eating, preparing to eat, and drinking beer. The balance of the time is fucking around with the camp fire.

Needless to say, I like to eat well on my camping trips Smile

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We have a Green Mountain pellet grill that takes a pizza oven.
https://www.amazon.com/Green-M...p%2Caps%2C208&sr=8-3
We have one of these and they make a wonderful pizza at about 750° and in 4-5 minutes.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4242 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
As the resident pizza nerd, I feel compelled.

I have an UUNI pro. I only use charcoal or wood. I have taken it places and made pizzas for others, but it is not necessarily what I would call "portable".

Be warned, cooking pizzas at that temp is FAR different than cooking pizzas in a home oven, or even a Blodgett, at 500 degrees.

At 900 degrees with a 750-800 degree deck, any oil in the dough, no matter how little, burns. Raw flour burns. Pepperoni turns to charcoal in less than 120 seconds.

Its is an ENTIRELY different animal, and required a complete rework of my dough recipe, from the ground up. For the UUNI, it is now as follows:

1000g caputo nuvola flour (yes, the type of flour matters)
630g water
20g salt
1 package platinum yeast

Mix yeast, water, & half the flour in a stand mixer with a dough hook for 10 minutes. Add the salt & the rest of the flour, mix/knead another 20 minutes.

Allow to rise, covered, at room temp, for 6-8 hours. Bunch down, portion into roughly 320g balls. Makes 5 14" or so pizzas. In the UUNI, they are done in about 90 seconds or so.

Judicious topping application is also paramount. If even one single shred of cheese falls off the pizza onto the stone, you're going to have a bad day. Too much pepperoni and the grease drips over the edge of the crust? Forget it. Grease fire like you've never seen.

Prepare to throw the first dozen or so attempts in the trash.

Also be warned that since UUNI is a European company, replacement parts (yes, you'll break glass, and stones, and parts eventually do warp over time due to high heat and repeated use) are neither inexpensive nor expeditiously delivered.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
I do pizza on a stone I bought for my BGE in the oven @ 450 degrees. Heat the stone, dust it with corn meal, then put the pie on it. 10-15 minutes later I have a pizza.

Exact same thing we do and use.....We LOVE cooking pizza over lump charcoal at 450F....A flavor explosion that can only compare to a real fire brick oven pizza....And several companies make table top ceramic cookers for under $300.00 that would be perfect for camping....Get one and now you have one device that can be used as a slow cooker/smoker to a steak searing/pizza oven.....Mark

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
My wife has always wanted a wood fired outdoor oven. We saved our $ and finally ordered one in June, it arrived just 3 weeks ago. This was our first cook.

The char on the crust edge was my bad, I didn't rotate it fast enough. It was cooked at 850, the recommended temp., the next one was cooked at 700 and came out perfect. Only the Italian sausage was pre cooked, everything else was raw.

Posts: 3854 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Dude!

Cool

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ex for the updated dough recipe. Will definitely be trying that in my ooni. I like my ooni its great fun during the summer and fall while sitting on the patio. I must confess I prefer my pizza steel in the good ole oven over the ooni at least during the winter.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post