SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pneumonia vacine question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pneumonia vacine question Login/Join 
posted
I received the Prevnar 13 injection some years back. Do I need get the Prevnar 20 that is now available?

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2892 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Maybe a question for your doctor?

Posts: 22933 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your situation should be discussed with your Dr. For information only at my last appointment my Dr. said Prevnar 20 is no longer paid for by Medicare. A check confirmed that neither Medicare or my prescription plan do. Cost in my area is 275.00.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had my yearly physical at the VA and was offered the both the new Shingles vaccine and the new Pneumonia vaccine. Said yes to both but they were out of the Pneumonia so I'll get that when I go back for my second Shingles shot.

Point being, if you're a veteran the cost of these vaccines are covered by the VA.

Posts: 4985 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
I had my yearly physical at the VA and was offered the both the new Shingles vaccine and the new Pneumonia vaccine. Said yes to both but they were out of the Pneumonia so I'll get that when I go back for my second Shingles shot.

Point being, if you're a veteran the cost of these vaccines are covered by the VA.

I was under the impression that because I have Social Security, Medicare, and supplemental insurance, a pension, and an IRA, the VA does not want to see me.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
When I went for my flu shot I asked if I was due for my pneumonia shot. I had the pneumonia shot 4 years ago September. I was told I needed to wait until next September 9/23 for the new shot.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4016 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was under the impression that because I have Social Security, Medicare, and supplemental insurance, a pension, and an IRA, the VA does not want to see me

^^^^^^^^^^
Do you have a service connected disability? You must also meet income guidelines.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you only get Prevnar-13 or have you also received Pneumovax-23? Here is the CDC guidance. Link

Posts: 2159 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I received the Prevnar-13 only.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4016 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
I was under the impression that because I have Social Security, Medicare, and supplemental insurance, a pension, and an IRA, the VA does not want to see me

^^^^^^^^^^
Do you have a service connected disability? You must also meet income guidelines.

No service connected disability.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
You are probably above their income guidelines as well. A lot of veterans are confused by this. You may certainly call your local VA for clarification. They are going to be very busy now because vets will be turning in burn pit claims.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mea culpa, Warhorse. Because I'm well under the income threshold, I forgot there was one.

Still good to go to the VA and get in their system and a VA card. I don't remember for certain but I believe that as a veteran there are things you qualify for even if you're above the income bar.

Posts: 4985 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is correct. It is a governmental system so there are EIGHT priority groups go figure. There are things you might qaulify for. Plus there are always tons of veterans around.