SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Feeding a Great Pyrenees
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feeding a Great Pyrenees Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
We have Rhodesian Ridgebacks and on advice of our breeder feed Kirkland (Costco) "Lamb and Rice" dry kibble. We have been well satisfied thus far.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17568 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
My mastiffs eat diamond natural’s chicken and rice
You are aware that Diamond products are the most recalled dog foods on the planet? I bought them at one point years ago, but I no longer trust them.

Diamond owns Taste of The Wild. Lots of good options available.
Diamond manufacturers for a ton of brands, several of which have been recalled over the past few years for salmonella and/or listeria. I will never trust anything manufactured in a Diamond facility again.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just had a sweet female Great Pyrenees pick our house as her new home.
Pictures. We need pictures!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31452 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
We have Rhodesian Ridgebacks and on advice of our breeder feed Kirkland (Costco) "Lamb and Rice" dry kibble. We have been well satisfied thus far.

This what we have been feeding our Rottie for the past few years, she had reactions to any food with chicken

Posts: 5560 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
I just had a sweet female Great Pyrenees pick our house as her new home.
Pictures. We need pictures!

Pics posted on original post.

Posts: 185 | Registered: July 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice, I'll definitely do some research on several of the food brands suggested. I grew up with Rotts mostly so I have a fondness for big pups. She is very loving and calm, perfect since I have a five year old.
The backyard is about two acres and completely fenced in, so lots of space to sniff around. Once I get the front yard fenced she'll have almost four acres. My direct neighbors are good people are dog people too.

posted Hide Post
LGD's are a major part of my life on my farm. I have Pyrennes, Ackbash and Marima (all very similar if you don't know the breeds). For a dog in poor condition it really doesn't matter on food. Get calories and water into the dog, seriously. At a rate that helps weight gain slowly which will been many multiple feedings a day. I happen to use earthborn holistic but there is nothing magic about that brand. any quality food will do at this point. And at that point you can find something that the dog likes, is high quality and available locally.
These are great dogs.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11178 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Wow! Given how that dog looks in the first day picture, you are to be congratulated for your restraint in not beating the original owner to a thin red paste with a shovel. The dog looks horrific. I would have had to call the sheriff to send a deputy to talk to them as I wouldn’t have trusted myself to keep a civil tongue.

Looking at the day four pictures, you are also to be congratulated for your excellent care. Sure, she is fleshed out and looks like an entirely different dog, but her whole body language looks different too. In the day four pix, she looks like a dog who has found a home where she is loved, knows it, and is starting to get comfortable. That is pretty darned fast, especially for a guardian breed. Major Kudos to you and your bride!!!

Posts: 7100 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Yes, indeed, kudos to you for taking such good care! Her smile shows how much she appreciates your loving care.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11216 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful dog! Much promise in her. Thank you for opening your home to her.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20395 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow! Given how that dog looks in the first day picture, you are to be congratulated for your restraint in not beating the original owner to a thin red paste with a shovel. The dog looks horrific. I would have had to call the sheriff to send a deputy to talk to them as I wouldn’t have trusted myself to keep a civil tongue.

+1

Look at that face on Day 4. How could anyone treat a sweet girl so poorly.

Those days are behind her, kudos to you and your family.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 743 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quick update for anyone interested. Completely different dog in just two weeks. She's a keeper. New pic in the op.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
She's beautiful. Thank you for taking her in. You and your wife are jewels!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12943 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
Our Pyr didn't eat more than our other dogs (Basset and German Shepherd). They are big but they also have slower metabolisms.

They are sort of high maintenance for brushing but aren't supposed to be bathed very often. Ours only had a bath every six months, but people were always commenting on how nice she smelled.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Great work taking this dog in; its amazing what a couple of meals and water will do for a dog.

We have Great Danes and the only thing I might suggest would be an elevated eating / drinking bowls. Ours eat Science Diet and Iams, seems to have been good for them.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Great job. Coming along fine. Thank You for saving her.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:
Our Pyr didn't eat more than our other dogs (Basset and German Shepherd). They are big but they also have slower metabolisms.

They are sort of high maintenance for brushing but aren't supposed to be bathed very often. Ours only had a bath every six months, but people were always commenting on how nice she smelled.

I actually just brushed her and gave her a bath this morning. I got less hair off her than our male aussie.
Her being malnourished made her hair thin in some spots. I don't think she'd ever been brushed or had her nails trimmed but she was patient and calm.
She still eats whatever I feed her pretty quickly but not as ravenous as before.

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jlruiztx32:
Quick update for anyone interested. Completely different dog in just two weeks. She's a keeper. New pic in the op.

If you email your address to me I'll send you some goodies from my pet store!

Posts: 12950 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post