SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can Millennials change a light bulb? Apparently not..
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can Millennials change a light bulb? Apparently not.. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My wife works for a large tuna company. They found out millennials dont know how to use a can opener, hence the push for tuna in a pouch.

Posts: 5419 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
My wife works for a large tuna company. They found out millennials dont know how to use a can opener, hence the push for tuna in a pouch.

As ridiculous as this sounds, I must say that I am not surprised!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
It is not the fault of millennial’s, rather their stupid baby boomer parents who didn’t raise them properly and fucked our education system.

Besides, you can go on YouTube and learn how to fix anything. You can avoid paying your appliance repair man a small fortune to fix the solenoid on your gas clothes dryer. DYI for $8 w/ the correct part from Amazon.

Millenial parents are mostly Generation X'ers.

Posts: 465 | Location: Pell City, AL. U.S. | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic15al:
Millenial parents are mostly Generation X'ers.

Not quite. The baby boomer generation is 1946-1964, with millennials around 1980-1998.

Assuming that child rearing years are roughly 20-40, almost all millennials (at least those until the early 1990’s) were born to boomer parents.

Additionally, the boomers are a much larger cohort than Gen X. They aren’t getting away with this one Razz

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

I know how to use a can opener, but greatly prefer tuna in a pouch. Easier to store and transport. No tools needed to open. And no draining.

Zero downside.

Posts: 32521 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
I had to show a 20 year old kid I work with how to use the phone in our shop. He had no clue how a land line worked.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
A surprising number of them cant tell time on an analog clock.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
I know how to use a can opener, but greatly prefer tuna in a pouch. Easier to store and transport. No tools needed to open. And no draining.

Zero downside.
I'm going to take a wild guess here: I bet that the pouch is significantly lower cost than a metal can.

Also, somewhat easier to pack if you're taking it along for lunch.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30687 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Zero downside.

I know how to use one, too. I wonder what they would say if they were ever exposed to the can opener that came in military C-rats. I believe we called them "P38s". No idea why. If I look long enough I can probably find at least one around here. Probably in one of those water proof gear bags left over from my time in the army. We used to carry on on our dog tag chains. C-rats back then provided a menu selection, but all the main course came in tin cans. Hence, no can opener, you didn't get the "delicious" main meal. Like sausage patties and gravy, ham and lima beans for example.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
quote:

Zero downside.
I'm going to take a wild guess here: I bet that the pouch is significantly lower cost than a metal can.

You get half the tuna for twice the price in the pouches vs can. Although the wife told me the tuna in the pouches is a better quality than in the can.

Posts: 5419 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
You get half the tuna for twice the price in the pouches vs can.

I don't see it.

3 oz cans of tuna contain ~10% water that has to be drained off first. So you end up with roughly the same actual tuna as the 2.6 oz pouches.

A 2.6 oz pouch costs $1.00 at my grocery store.

A 3 oz can costs $1.12 at my grocery store.

So the pouch appears to be the same amount of actual tuna at a lower price. (Not half the tuna, and not twice the price.) And that's in addition to the other benefits of no draining, no tools, and easier transport/storage.

Like I said... Zero downsides.

I keep pouches of tuna and plastic spoons handy for times when I don't have time for an actual meal. No matter how slammed we are, I can usually find 60 seconds or so to tear open a pouch and wolf down a few ounces of tuna. And they're small enough that they can be stored almost anywhere.

Posts: 32521 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the other hand we have a G.Daughter living in OK going to OU (away from her family) who does repairs on her apartment and car. She was born and raised in our rural area of Ohio.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Zero downside.

You get half the tuna for twice the price in the pouches vs can. Although the wife told me the tuna in the pouches is a better quality than in the can.

Your paying for convenience. the same reason over 2/3 of food items in todays supermarkets either ready to eat or heat and eat.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Truthfully, I feel that the whole "Millennials can't do anything" thing is over blown...BUT this video cracks me up Big Grin...NSFW (or those easily offended by words)...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/lCc2qj0Wo_o

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Zero downside.

Never tried it. "Charlie" is now offering chicken, too, according to the ads on TV.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't a real man swim into the ocean and catch his own Tuna, and eat it raw?
You know, for a snack.

The only time I eat fish is when I get into a fist fight with a Grizzly and take his red salmon. And I make him watch me eat it.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4620 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Truthfully, I feel that the whole "Millennials can't do anything" thing is over blown...BUT this video cracks me up Big Grin...NSFW (or those easily offended by words)...

[FLASH_VIDEO

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/lCc2qj0Wo_o

Out fucking standing! I love it!!!!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20828 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I find this difficult to believe.

Not for me. I ran a service call to a house which had just sold for $7.3M ... in 2000 or 2001. The owners were a 'market researcher' and his wife, who was starting a pharma company. Not millennials, but younger than me.

The ice dispenser in the fridge was not working. It's metal level wand / bar / what have you, was 'clicked' in the up position, which I guess you do you cleaning or to shut it off.

I clicked it down, water started flowing into the device, and I was done. Twenty seconds.

The lady tried to tell me to send the bill to the company which installed the fridge. That it was "our" fault. I was classified with 'them', those who were not of their "us". :roll eyes:

Once more I tried to work for them, picking up a spout to match up. FUBAR, I walked out, the only time I was ever stiffed for a bill.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Millennial Repo: Car Loan Defaults on the Rise

According to Bloomberg Financial News, the rate for the Millennial demographic was 4.04 percent last quarter vs. 2.36 for the general population, or about twice as high.

But it’s not just The Youth who are in danger of having their cars repo’d.

The overall delinquency rate last quarter was at its highest level since 2012 — and the total number of car loans (new and used) as well as leases is up by 5.2 percent.

More people, in other words, are buying cars they can’t afford.

What’s especially interesting is that the increase in delinquencies isn’t happening in parallel with a recession. Unemployment is at a 50-year low. People aren’t defaulting on their car loans because they lost their jobs.

Their jobs just don’t pay enough to support a car loan.

This shouldn’t surprise anyone who has been following the car business even casually. It now takes roughly twice as long to pay off a typical new car loan as it did in 1970 — about six years vs. three once upon a time. Because the cost of cars has geometrically outpaced what people are earning.

https://spectator.org/millenni...efaults-on-the-rise/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24128 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
US student-loan delinquencies surged past $166 billion last quarter

Student-loan delinquencies surpassed $166 billion last year in the third and fourth quarters, according to a new report from Bloomberg that’s based on data published by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York.

Each quarter, the New York Fed releases its household debt report, which includes the total owed and the percentage delinquent at least 90 days or in default, Bloomberg reported.

Delinquencies continued to climb even as the unemployment rate fell below 4 percent, suggesting the strong U.S. job market hasn’t generated enough wage growth to help some people manage their outstanding obligations.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...ncy-tops-166-billion

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24128 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post