SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help with a used car purchase for my daughter - 2014 Honda Civic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with a used car purchase for my daughter - 2014 Honda Civic Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
My 20 year old daughter is looking to buy a car and she found a 2014 Honda Civic Lx for $13k. The car has 70k miles, and seems to be in good shape. The only things that worry me are the car had a recall on the CVT transmission (the fix was a software update) and underneath the car it looks like a previous owner hit/ran over something:

I'm not too mechanically inclined, so I was hoping someone here could chime in with some thoughts on this car.

Thanks

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4932 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
My suggestion if you are not mechanically inclined is to take that vehicle to a shop that conducts pre purchase inspections. They're generally $125-200 and well spent, especially given your circumstances. They'll get that car on a lift to see what lies underneath.

Having hit something, I'd be a bit more cautious.

Posts: 13151 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Edmonds advice is good.
I’d add to that to find a independent Honda shop as they should know any issues specific to those cars.

Posts: 9574 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
Looks like the center lower engine cover came loose and got tore up. It's just a piece of sheetmetal that has to be removed for oil change. As mentioned above, get the car checked out, shouldn't be too much of a concern though if everything else is ok.

Posts: 1314 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazing timing. Project Farm dude just posted this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkmmJhXRpvs

Re: you car, get it checked out by a mechanic. Good luck!

Posts: 1925 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
I recently went through this as well. Then I discovered that there are new cars available with a starting MSRP of about $16,750 (Kia Rio). The price difference is only one major repair job on a used car above. It comes with a warranty, all the new safety features, and you don't have to worry about everything you're worried about. Smile

Good luck!

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3934 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dzozer:
I recently went through this as well. Then I discovered that there are new cars available with a starting MSRP of about $16,750 (Kia Rio). The price difference is only one major repair job on a used car above. It comes with a warranty, all the new safety features, and you don't have to worry about everything you're worried about. Smile

Good luck!

Yep considering any vehicle in that price range it's best to see what's out there new, and a KIA will have a 10/100,000 powertrain warranty., Apple Car play, backup camera, remote start and unlock, latest in safety/air bag setup,

https://www.kia.com/us/en/rio

That Honda has zero.... so get a qualified Honda knowledgeable person to get it on a lift and go through it as a condition of sale

Kia Warranty:

• 10-year/100,000 mile limited powertrain warranty

• 5-year/60,000 mile limited basic warranty

• 5-year/100,000 mile limited anti-perforation warranty

• 5-year/60,000 mile roadside assistance plan

Posts: 23642 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'm a pretty faithful Honda guy, but given the circumstances and the Kia mentioned above, that's the way I'd go.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38771 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
$13,000 for a 10 year old car is astonishing to me

You used to be able to buy one of those brand new for around $16,000 Frown

The underside of that car gives me pause. If they weren't careful/smart enough to avoid that, what else did they do to that car? Like never change the oil in it?

I'd keep looking. Look at Mazdas, they are VERY underrated cars and great drivers.

Posts: 33939 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Look at Mazdas, they are VERY underrated cars and great drivers.

Don't really hear much about them. We always hear about Honda and Toyota getting 200k miles.

Are Mazdas on par? I assume Mazda is a step above the Korean makers. Mazdas seem to be quite refined but I have limited experience driving one and have never owned one.

Posts: 13151 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Yes, Mazda is as good or in some ways better than Honda and Toyota IMO

I’ve owned a Mazda3 and currently drive a Mazda5 and both have been great. They’re a bit more sporty in styling and handling than the oftentimes boring, bland Hondas and Toyotas.

OP should really look at a Mazda3 for his daughter.

Posts: 33939 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
$13,000 for a 10 year old car is astonishing to me

You used to be able to buy one of those brand new for around $16,000 Frown

The underside of that car gives me pause. If they weren't careful/smart enough to avoid that, what else did they do to that car? Like never change the oil in it?

I'd keep looking. Look at Mazdas, they are VERY underrated cars and great drivers.

People sell their cars when they hit 10 years for a reason. The reason is they IGNORED pretty much ALL maintenance the whole time. Yes, the WHOLE time. Oil changes don't count, that's only the tip of the iceberg, though many don't even keep up with that. If you buy it you'll be spending at least that much to bring it back to health, so in your case, I don't think blue book is a good guide for you, even IF blue book lists it for that amount. And that frame damage underneath is a problem waiting to happen. Try catching something hard at highway speed, and your daughter is sitting right on top of whatever will be coming up through the floor into her lap (or worse).

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8739 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Bought my Daughter a 2013 Honda accord with about 90k miles. Had it checked out as suggested and it’s been great for her. I think I paid 12,000.

Car runs great. Perfect for her.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned nine Accords over the years and have been pleased. As noted earlier get a mechanic to check it out. You can bargain if there are issues.

Posts: 17302 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
2014 Honda Civic Lx for $13k. The car has 70k miles

Despite the low mileage, that would be a no for me. A Civic is not any fancy car, just like a Corolla. And that damage to the bottom is a red flag.

Q

Posts: 26590 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post