SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendations Wanted For Simple FREE Drawing App
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations Wanted For Simple FREE Drawing App Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
I need to make a simple line drawing or sketch, for a layout, with a bit of text showing dimensions.

Needs to work either on iPad with Apple Pencil or on a MacBook.

Simpler is better.

Need this to send to electrician, to show where to install an outlet. Nothing fancy, just enough to let electrician plan the wire (conduit?) run.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31449 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Apple provides FreeForm as part of macOS and ipadOS, pretty simplistic, but might do what you want.

Of course, there is The GIMP, free but probably much more complex than you want to deal with. LibreOffice also has a wall modeling capability, but again a lot more "stuff" in it than you probably want.

Th classic way to do what you want, a great app for its time, was OmniGraffle. However the OmniGroup ruined the app. by implementing a subscription model and trying to make it all things for all people. The OmniGroup did this with all their apps, which used to be best in class, but are now next to worthless.

I have done what you want to do in Numbers, the macOS-included spreadsheet app that has enough graphics capability to do a simple wall plan. I used this to model server racks for equipment placement, cable runs, and computer room and rack layouts. Not at all complicated.

Posts: 6791 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I just need a simple line drawing to show where the street is, where the driveway is, the distance from the electric panel on the north garage wall to the garage door, the width of the garage, and where I want the 240V outlet on the south wall.

Line drawing (sketch), does not need to be to scale, and I need to be able to stick in some text with measurements.

I agree that GIMP would do the job, but is proably way overkill with too much of a learning curve for this simple task.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31449 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Write it down, take a picture with the phone, then email or text the image to whomever wants it...

Can't get any simpler

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
My simple mind says to draw it with pencil and ruler and take a picture of it. Text or email. Or you can PDF it and send it that way so it makes it easier for him to print if necessary.

ETA, HRK and I are simple minded brothers! Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39287 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Write it down, take a picture with the phone, then email or text the image to whomever wants it...

Can't get any simpler
D'oh! Why didn't I think of that?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים