SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dave Ramsey - reverse mortgages are scams.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dave Ramsey - reverse mortgages are scams. Login/Join 
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hay2bale:
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
[
In MN, we all (LE) pay into PERA, we do not pay into SS. My retirement is based entirely on the payout from PERA. Even at 65 I will not get SS. This is not optional.

i had no idea that having ss taken out of ones check was optional. That is a new one on me.
I thought everyone had to pay it.

If you thought everyone had to pay it.....why didn't you have to pay it??? Are you some kind of Social Security Tax cheater?

You might want to read the whole thread to see how the above quote ended up reading that way.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Dave is the reason we got our house paid off in 7 and a half years. His name is gold around our house

Same here. Smile...he can be annoying at times...but at least he makes you think about things Cool

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10592 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
More of just a bad business deal than a scam.

This is probably accurate. You are, in essence borrowing money against the house, which is given to the lender at your death to pay off the loan. But the rates are bad, and the projected price is also low. It is my feeling that they are almost always a poor way to borrow, but not a scam per se.

How are rates bad? The standard LIBOR HECUM is at 4.02% and fixed rate at 5%. sure its .5 higher than a 30 year fixed, but you can't get a 30 year fixed without INCOME. And no the lender is NOT in any way given your home at death this is not true!

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5178 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

In MN, we all (LE) pay into PERA, we do not pay into SS. My retirement is based entirely on the payout from PERA. Even at 65 I will not get SS. This is not optional.

I had no idea that having ss taken out of ones check was optional. That is a new one on me. I thought everyone had to pay it.

If you thought everyone had to pay it.....why didn't you have to pay it??? Are you some kind of Social Security Tax cheater?

Under the old Federal retirement system, CSRS, feds did not pay into SS. Congress changed the retirement system around 1987 to FERS, which includes SS.

My sister, a teacher in Nevada, pays into a public teacher's retirement system ILO SS.

Not everyone pays OASDI/SS.

Posts: 9253 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
quote:

I had no idea that having ss taken out of ones check was optional. That is a new one on me. I thought everyone had to pay it.

Under the old Federal retirement system, CSRS, feds did not pay into SS. Congress changed the retirement system around 1987 to FERS, which includes SS.

My sister, a teacher in Nevada, pays into a public teacher's retirement system ILO SS.

Not everyone pays OASDI/SS.

This ^^^ is a piss poor attempt to quote my post above. If you take the time to look through the thread, all will become clear.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post