SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Citroën DS 19
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Citroën DS 19 Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I may be out of my head on this one but I remember seeing a show on the history of horse racing and these cars were used as the camera vehicles to video horse races since they rode so smooth.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25435 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
They're a nightmare to work on.
Ugh.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39769 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of E26R-40-BSE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Ugh.
This!

Grew up driving a late 70s Citroën GS. When the exhaust manifold/pipe rusted out, we had to drop the front axle to replace the exhaust.

Posts: 839 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: November 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
These Citroens are cool-looking cars to me. I am reminded of one of my favorite 1980s cars, the SAAB 900 Turbo. Car styles like this are polarizing. You either love them or you hate them.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
I had one 1972/3. Best riding car I've ever owned. Could bore with anecdotes. If there were parts /trained mechanics available I'd buy one today.

That is what all owner's say: they had a great ride. People loved them.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:

what? combining the best of low tech mechanical engineering, staggeringly complex hydraulic plumbing, combine with French Automotive logic and saute with lack of dealer, parts, suppliers, distributors or warehouses? And that was in their hey day....

They would run fine on 3 wheels. I took a fast trip thru the wintertime Blue Mountains of eastern Oregon and was amazed at the fine handling and traction of my first front-drive car.

Coming down the grade into LaGrande the handling did get a little jiggy, but this was on a couple hundred miles of heavy snow pack. Pulling into the gas station, there were a couple odd little tweaks from the steering & a bit of rubber smoke from the Rt front tire. I got out to look....the Michelin was absolutely shredded and smoking....had to have considerable run time flat. Dumb me.

Easy to change, put jack stand in the slot, push the lever, car pulls all its suspension up, tilting the opposite side from jack stand. One center-wheel nut to remove.

Dealer later said the suspension would gently elevate the low air tire & carry the load on the other three. Impressive under the circumstances for sure.

One of my favorite bumper stickers of All Time was a DS 19 I was behind in Salem Oregon: "I think your car looks funny too".........

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I was a fan of the DS19, to poor to own one.

Twenty or so years ago I was working in Newark, NJ and had a young Portuguese fellow as an assistant. An older fellow came up to the counter, and Tony says "Hey. your the guy with the Citroen, that drives around Portugal!" Turns out he was, had a S/M since new and spent a couple of months in Europe each year.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3403 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I may be out of my head on this one but I remember seeing a show on the history of horse racing and these cars were used as the camera vehicles to video horse races since they rode so smooth.

All true, especially here in UK.

Posts: 11334 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Its turn signals were short arms, one on each side of the car, that could be raised by a knob inside the car. A mechanical hand signal, in effect.

semaphores is what they were called IIRC,

volkswagens had them too on the early Beetles

Hmmmm. My 1970 DS19 had the rear turn indicators on extensions of the roof line- making it look a bit like Sid the sloth from Ice age cartoons. See around 4:15 in this YT movie -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma0QBRIAh3w

Posts: 11334 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:
quote:
Its turn signals were short arms, one on each side of the car, that could be raised by a knob inside the car. A mechanical hand signal,in effect.

Hmmmm. My 1970 DS19 had the rear turn indicators on extensions of the roof line
Yeah, my DS-21 was the same. Mine was a 1972? 1973?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30711 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by E26R-40-BSE:
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Ugh.
This!

Grew up driving a late 70s Citroën GS. When the exhaust manifold/pipe rusted out, we had to drop the front axle to replace the exhaust.

That's where the "Ahead of their time" part comes in. They were just like cars of today. Big Grin

Posts: 21115 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The show CHiPs had an episode where they pulled one over that had only 3 wheels in place. The driver referred to its suspension system.

Season 1, episode 19 - Hustle.

Posts: 2775 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:
quote:
Its turn signals were short arms, one on each side of the car, that could be raised by a knob inside the car. A mechanical hand signal, in effect.

Hmmmm. My 1970 DS19 had the rear turn indicators on extensions of the roof line- making it look a bit like Sid the sloth from Ice age cartoons. See around 4:15 in this YT movie -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma0QBRIAh3w

like these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHtpysGEQ6I

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10433 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
When in Europe I asked several cab drivers if they ever considered using a Citroen. To a man they all said no, they are far too unreliable.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post