SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thermoworks Signals and Billows..... pointers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thermoworks Signals and Billows..... pointers Login/Join 
posted
Big Thermoworks fan for sure. I’ve been perfectly happy with the Smoke for a number of years.

I decided to pick up the Signals with the Billows attachment while they ran the end of year sale. I will be using on my BGE

Anyone using?
What suggestions do you have to use the Billows?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6238 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have the combination and it is great! However, I don't have a lot to offer for tips as I've only had it since the end of November.

I cook on a medium BGE. Biggest thing I have learned is to start with LESS fire than you need, and let Billows bring it up. I use a chimney starter and propane torch to get things going. If I am grilling a steak, I fill it up, and get a raging fire going in it before adding the charcoal to the firebox. When I am smoking something with Signal/Billows, I only fill the chimney 1/3 full, don't get it going as hot, chuck it in on a bed of cold coals, and let Billows handle the temperature for me. This lets me keep things in the 220-230 range, rather than the 250-270 range.

Also pay smart attention to the routing, shielding and heat protection of your probes for longest life, as described in the instructions and videos.

I was recently able to do two full racks of baby back ribs at a steady 225 for 8 hours, without any adjustments. At 225, I never had to wrap the ribs in foil, and the edges never burned. Flavor was some of the best I have done. I'ts also a killer way to smoke a turkey.

Good luck.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12801 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post