SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weber Gas Grill Shopping, Whats the deal with side burners? UPDATE WITH PICS
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weber Gas Grill Shopping, Whats the deal with side burners? UPDATE WITH PICS Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I use mine a lot for cooking things that would smell or smoke up the kitchen (like blackening fish or searing steak) or for cooking sides for grilled food (veggies for fajitas). It’s also a nice backup if we lose power.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use mine for any seafood or frying. Wife won't let me make a mess in the house but the grill is all mine. Biggest issue, as stated by someone else, is to make sure grill is level so liquid/oil levels stay even in pans.

Posts: 374 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
had a weber with side burner never used it

currently have a Napoleon with an IR side burner and use it all the time

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6293 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
We have a Weber Summit 6 burner. Wife uses the side burner a lot to do seafood and other stuff she doesn't care to stink up the house with. Only used the rotisserie part once.

Posts: 1289 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
I had one that got little use and it also interfered with the rotisserie.

Posts: 1654 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
My side burner is part of my hurricane preps. Power outage, cook outside. I maybe use it once a year.

Posts: 6705 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I use it. I have a Napolean grill. My wife is allergic to shellfish. I use the side burner to steam or sauté shellfish outside.

Posts: 12947 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I bought a grill in the 90's that had one specifically to make messy/and or smelly side dishes outside. I like to fry bacon pieces in a saucepan and add onions to saute with the bacon before pouring in just canned Del Monte whole green beans to simmer while meat cooked. I found out it's significantly better if they are whole and not cut by the way.
Plus other stuff like mushrooms with steaks. Anything really.

I wound up using it about 1-2 times a year. I decided if I ever wanted that in the future, I'd get a small stand alone electric burner but I never did that.

Posts: 7388 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't have a grill without after having one. I don't use it all the time, but it makes your grill considerably more versatile. It's great for sautéing mushrooms for steak or burgers, or whipping up a sauce or glaze, or blistering peppers while you grill. You wouldn't use it to cook a whole meal (well, you could in a pinch) but it's great to add depth and dimension to anything you're grilling.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3570 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use our side burner all the time for things that would otherwise stink up the house (frying etc). Toss a pan on it and let er rip.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1766 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Weber with one. I mostly used it to fire up the lump coal for my Kamado Joe. Using a chimney, 3-4 minutes and it was roaring!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1140 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sreding:
We use our side burner all the time for things that would otherwise stink up the house (frying etc). Toss a pan on it and let er rip.

Same here. Searing scallops will really stink up the house. Or making blackened fish. Keeps the strong odors outside. If you don't have a side burner just put a cast iron skillet on your BBQ and heat it up for 10-15 mins with the cover down. Then sear away...

Posts: 3260 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Thanks to advice here on the forum, went griddle instead.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12924 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
They’re OK for warming up a pot of beans or sauce but they don’t really have a whole lot of power for much else IMO.

I see it as a gimmick and one more thing to break.

THIS. They are nice after a hurricane, you can actually boil stuff if you have a lid. What they are really nice for is putting the charcoal chimney on top of, to get the coals lit for your charcoal grill......LOL......that's what I used my side burner for back when I had a weber kettle grill also.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Took delivery on Thursday, very happy with the purchase so far.

Thanks for all who participated in the thread.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9746 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:

I can do anything outside that I can do inside.
Um ... Eek

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31372 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, great looking grill.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post